Five things we learned today

34 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

No idea why anyone would advocate taking set pieces off Bannan. Let’s not start this again

It's called mixing it up.

You can go too far down the route of doing the same old and being predictable.

Bannan is quite predictable when you watch him enough.

Edited by Salmonbones

7 minutes ago, Salmonbones said:

It's called mixing it up.

You can go too far down the route of doing the same old and being predictable.

Bannan is quite predictable when you watch him enough.

Agreed.

Im enjoying being right when I correctly predict it’s going to be another great Bannan delivery

54 minutes ago, Salmonbones said:

Palmer was competent.

He often won the ball, passed it and bombed on but then wasn't used for the overlap.

That is not Palmers fault.

It is because the reason he wasn’t used for the overlap is because his team mates don’t trust him to deliver a good ball into the box. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

Agreed.

Im enjoying being right when I correctly predict it’s going to be another great Bannan delivery

Either from dead ball or from a passage in play, Bannan will often hit the right area, sometimes a killer pass to head or foot and I grant you that we can't really do without that with what else we have in our team right now.

I'm just confident we over utilise him that's all, and because of that he is often targeted and nullified. 

A couple more on the pitch with a good pass on them, and vision to use that pass is not a bad thing.

1 hour ago, beloved_aunt said:

1. Pressing

The team looked really fit and really pressed from the front to try and win the ball as close to goal as possible.  This is a refreshing positive change from the slower tempo of Carlos and Jos.

2. Bullen really doesn’t rate Van Aaken 

When Borner went off he had two defenders on the bench to choose from and picked they guy who is suspended for the next two matches rather than give game time to the guy who might actually be needed in the next fortnight.

3. We need a left back

The team symmetry looked really good today.  A left right combo in centre mid and guys cutting in from each flank.  Would be good if we had a proper left back bombing into the space vacated by the LW cutting in (Joao today) who could then cross first time without having to come back onto his right food.

4. Top teams can finish

We dominated the game for the most part but when the ball fell to Espanyol in half decent positions they were able to pick the perfect spot where Westwood couldn’t save it.  That was La Liga quality.  I’d say nearly all Championship clubs would not be able to do that.  Play like that against Reading next week and we win.

5. Joao still isn’t a winger

Got to be Harris for that spot.

1. True. It helped us even more when they insisted on playing the ball out within their own area under the new rule. 

2. Agree. A sympathy sub.

3. The weakest position in the side. Palmer does well but is a square peg there.

4. Can't decide if Rhodes' header was a bad miss or a good save. Would Fletch have scored it I wonder?

5. Joao shouldn't start anywhere. Has skill but lazy. Harris stays fit, position is his all season.

11 hours ago, beloved_aunt said:

1. Pressing

The team looked really fit and really pressed from the front to try and win the ball as close to goal as possible.  This is a refreshing positive change from the slower tempo of Carlos and Jos.

2. Bullen really doesn’t rate Van Aaken 

When Borner went off he had two defenders on the bench to choose from and picked they guy who is suspended for the next two matches rather than give game time to the guy who might actually be needed in the next fortnight.

3. We need a left back

The team symmetry looked really good today.  A left right combo in centre mid and guys cutting in from each flank.  Would be good if we had a proper left back bombing into the space vacated by the LW cutting in (Joao today) who could then cross first time without having to come back onto his right food.

4. Top teams can finish

We dominated the game for the most part but when the ball fell to Espanyol in half decent positions they were able to pick the perfect spot where Westwood couldn’t save it.  That was La Liga quality.  I’d say nearly all Championship clubs would not be able to do that.  Play like that against Reading next week and we win.

5. Joao still isn’t a winger

Got to be Harris for that spot.

Odebajo is a potential liability, we learned that too.  Left gaping holes behind, kept losing the ball by overplaying and was responsible directly for their 2nd goal by not clearing it into row Z.

On that showing I reckon Reading will target our right side....

Maybe he was nervous but he was a bit headless chicken.  Iorfa far more solid...  I'd actually go Palmer RB and Fox LB for Reading....