Five things we learned today

1. Pressing

The team looked really fit and really pressed from the front to try and win the ball as close to goal as possible.  This is a refreshing positive change from the slower tempo of Carlos and Jos.

2. Bullen really doesn’t rate Van Aaken 

When Borner went off he had two defenders on the bench to choose from and picked they guy who is suspended for the next two matches rather than give game time to the guy who might actually be needed in the next fortnight.

3. We need a left back

The team symmetry looked really good today.  A left right combo in centre mid and guys cutting in from each flank.  Would be good if we had a proper left back bombing into the space vacated by the LW cutting in (Joao today) who could then cross first time without having to come back onto his right food.

4. Top teams can finish

We dominated the game for the most part but when the ball fell to Espanyol in half decent positions they were able to pick the perfect spot where Westwood couldn’t save it.  That was La Liga quality.  I’d say nearly all Championship clubs would not be able to do that.  Play like that against Reading next week and we win.

5. Joao still isn’t a winger

Got to be Harris for that spot.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, beloved_aunt said:

1. Pressing

The team looked really fit and really pressed from the front to try and win the ball as close to goal as possible.  This is a refreshing positive change from the slower tempo of Carlos and Jos.

2. Bullen really doesn’t rate Van Aaken 

When Borner went off he had two defenders on the bench to choose from and picked they guy who is suspended for the next two matches rather than give game time to the guy who might actually be needed in the next fortnight.

3. We need a left back

The team symmetry looked really good today.  A left right combo in centre mid and guys cutting in from each flank.  Would be good if we had a proper left back bombing into the space vacated by the LW cutting in (Joao today) who could then cross first time without having to come back onto his right food.

4. Top teams can finish

We dominated the game for the most part but when the ball fell to Espanyol in half decent positions they were able to pick the perfect spot where Westwood couldn’t save it.  That was La Liga quality.  I’d say nearly all Championship clubs would not be able to do that.  Play like that against Reading next week and we win.

5. Joao still isn’t a winger

Got to be Harris for that spot.

Think no 4....a bit off..both strikes were top drawer...won't happen every week...

agree with the rest tho lol

10 minutes ago, sweetsheri said:

We also learned something that could turn out significant

Strudwick wasn’t there 

I was sitting about 5 rows back from the directors box. Strudwick was sitting in there during the first half. He got up to go down towards the pitch just after ht 

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, beloved_aunt said:

when the ball fell to Espanyol in half decent positions they were able to pick the perfect spot where Westwood couldn’t save it.  That was La Liga quality.

Watched them in the warm up. Lethal finishes. 

Thought the team did well overall (although we don’t really know how far that was from their first team etc). 

I was happy with what Bullen has instilled... but we do have lots of strikers - and we can’t please them all. 

Just now, Salmonbones said:

Palmer was competent.

He often won the ball, passed it and bombed on but then wasn't used for the overlap.

That is not Palmers fault.

Not my intention at all to have a pop at Liam.  Think he’s a good right back and him and Moses are both good options there.

But with no left footed left backs we can trust in that position (Fox is rubbish and Penney has regressed) it slows down attacks on that side.  Get in a good LB (Stephen Kingsley, Luke Garbutt, Martin Olson) it’ll free up Palmer to battle it out for the RB slot. 

15 minutes ago, sweetsheri said:

We also learned something that could turn out significant

Strudwick wasn’t there 

8 minutes ago, SiJ said:

Except he was.

We learned that senior sports scientist professionals have better things to do than the pre match warm up. 

1 minute ago, beloved_aunt said:

We learned that senior sports scientist professionals have better things to do than the pre match warm up. 

Yes yes I know. I’ve rectified my error.

I’m just off to self harm now for a bit

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, beloved_aunt said:

Not my intention at all to have a pop at Liam.  Think he’s a good right back and him and Moses are both good options there.

But with no left footed left backs we can trust in that position (Fox is rubbish and Penney has regressed) it slows down attacks on that side.  Get in a good LB (Stephen Kingsley, Luke Garbutt, Martin Olson) it’ll free up Palmer to battle it out for the RB slot. 

I don't think we've seen enough of Penney to see if he has regressed.

Probably needs game time less advanced up the pitch.     Some say he's a natural wingback and not a leftback - i'm not sure.   I still think he's a great left back with a decent balance of defensive and attacking skills in his locker, with a cultured left foot that could really make a difference, especially from dead ball situations.

1 minute ago, Salmonbones said:

Probably needs game time less advanced up the pitch.     Some say he's a natural wingback and not a leftback - i'm not sure.   I still think he's a great left back with a decent balance of defensive and attacking skills in his locker, with a cultured left foot that could really make a difference, especially from dead ball situations.

Lets hope so. 

1 minute ago, Salmonbones said:

No idea why anyone would advocate taking set pieces off Bannan. Let’s not start this again