London meeting

5 minutes ago, Hookowl said:

Think you'll find trains run on DC not AC. :rolleyes:

I think you will find that trains that use overhead lines use a/c because of the better transmission properties of a/c over long distances, whilst only the older third rail system of the London Underground and the old Southern Region use d/c.

• Like 1

Guest Theboylangers
8 minutes ago, Mr. Tom said:

Learned today that it’s not about duff UK engineering - we deliberately only stress/stretch the steel to around 27 degrees Celsius worth of expansion in UK, as we’re so rarely above that it’s not worth extra cost to ‘prepare’ it for greater expansion during forging (plus ours also has to cope with freezing temps & contraction in winter too). Other hotter countries set theirs up to expand to 35 degree temps or more, ‘cos it’s worth the significant extra outlay during manufacturing if they hit those temps fairly often. Cost would be phenomenal to upgrade our whole network.

Makes you wonder how much of our country’s infrastructure just isn’t ready to cope with a baked planet - we could actually end up in a worse position than many currently poorer nations in that regard.

Thanks for this Mr Tom. 

Knowing the stress/stretch testing of our railway lines has helped me forget about our Manager situation for a minute. 

lol

1 minute ago, Manwithastick said:

If he's been in San Fran but is now in Boston, why would he fly into Heathrow from San Fran?

Why indeed eh?

I’m just repeating the information given to me just over an hour ago by one of the attendees.

The same person who told me that 13 players were being released at the end of last season and I conveyed in “The night of the long knives thread”!

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, mark1948 said:

I think you will find that trains that use overhead lines use a/c because of the better transmission properties of a/c over long distances, whilst only the older third rail system of the London Underground and the old Southern Region use d/c.

Electric trains run on DC, the overhead lines carry 25000 volts AC, get converted to DC and drives the series motors for the drive.

• Thanks 1

Guest Manwithastick
2 minutes ago, casbahowl said:

Why indeed eh?

I’m just repeating the information given to me just over an hour ago by one of the attendees.

The same person who told me that 13 players were being released at the end of last season and I conveyed in “The night of the long knives thread”!

Don't get me wrong, I don't doubt the meeting if you say it's happening. What constitutes our 'senior management team' these days?

Guest addedtime
7 minutes ago, mark1948 said:

Funnily enough, my job is to test electrical resistance of the track fastening systems in the lab.

Guest Ferkorf
16 minutes ago, Mr. Tom said:

Learned today that it’s not about duff UK engineering - we deliberately only stress/stretch the steel to around 27 degrees Celsius worth of expansion in UK, as we’re so rarely above that it’s not worth extra cost to ‘prepare’ it for greater expansion during forging (plus ours also has to cope with freezing temps & contraction in winter too). Other hotter countries set theirs up to expand to 35 degree temps or more, ‘cos it’s worth the significant extra outlay during manufacturing if they hit those temps fairly often. Cost would be phenomenal to upgrade our whole network.

Makes you wonder how much of our country’s infrastructure just isn’t ready to cope with a baked planet - we could actually end up in a worse position than many currently poorer nations in that regard.

I blame Brexit

1 minute ago, Manwithastick said:

Don't get me wrong, I don't doubt the meeting if you say it's happening. What constitutes our 'senior management team' these days?

From memory at the fans forums there were 5 or 6 at the front table.

I would imagine it’s the people who currently hold those positions.

Howson will have read this, spat his coffee across the office and begun typing ...

Wednesday Owner Cuts Short Family Holiday To Call Crisis Meeting

He'll then re-word @casbahowl's post, regurgitate a couple of earlier 'scoops' like Rhodes being loaned out to QPR and selling Joao to Bristol City for peanuts

Throw in a few over-used and often repeated phrases such as 'soft embargo' and 'managerless'

Maybe give Bruce, Ashley and the PL the usual namechecks and Bob's yer uncle!

The rest of the day is his own  :biggrin:

• Like 1
  • Haha 7