London meeting

15 hours ago, Mr. Tom said:

Learned today that it’s not about duff UK engineering - we deliberately only stress/stretch the steel to around 27 degrees Celsius worth of expansion in UK, as we’re so rarely above that it’s not worth extra cost to ‘prepare’ it for greater expansion during forging (plus ours also has to cope with freezing temps & contraction in winter too). Other hotter countries set theirs up to expand to 35 degree temps or more, ‘cos it’s worth the significant extra outlay during manufacturing if they hit those temps fairly often. Cost would be phenomenal to upgrade our whole network.

Makes you wonder how much of our country’s infrastructure just isn’t ready to cope with a baked planet - we could actually end up in a worse position than many currently poorer nations in that regard.

Makes you laugh that governments and companies aren't doing more about global warming when it's gonna cost so much in the long run. Just yesterday Boris the nobber has installed an Environment Secretary who couldn't give two shits about the environment.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, zico.b said:

My work are brilliant at those!

Mine too. But first we usually have a “webinar” to decide where the pre-meeting meeting is going to be. And then after the meeting anything you’ve said gets ignored and the bosses implement what they were going to do all along.

And on that note I’d better set off to work.... Lovely.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, casbahowl said:

Why indeed eh?

I’m just repeating the information given to me just over an hour ago by one of the attendees.

The same person who told me that 13 players were being released at the end of last season and I conveyed in “The night of the long knives thread”!

Unless you know the exact itinerary and expose the name of the source it cant be true on here !!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Mr. Tom said:

Learned today that it’s not about duff UK engineering - we deliberately only stress/stretch the steel to around 27 degrees Celsius worth of expansion in UK, as we’re so rarely above that it’s not worth extra cost to ‘prepare’ it for greater expansion during forging (plus ours also has to cope with freezing temps & contraction in winter too). Other hotter countries set theirs up to expand to 35 degree temps or more, ‘cos it’s worth the significant extra outlay during manufacturing if they hit those temps fairly often. Cost would be phenomenal to upgrade our whole network.

Makes you wonder how much of our country’s infrastructure just isn’t ready to cope with a baked planet - we could actually end up in a worse position than many currently poorer nations in that regard.

Was worth visiting this thread for this post, thanks!

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Mr. Tom said:

Only 1 thing for it. Back to horses we go

horse 2.gif

• Haha 6

4 hours ago, mozzy85 said:

Makes you laugh that governments and companies aren't doing more about global warming when it's gonna cost so much in the long run. Just yesterday Boris the nobber has installed an Environment Secretary who couldn't give two shits about the environment.

That's the problem - the long run - they depend on the short term for their survival.

You are being too kind to Boris btw. I think I'm more scared of what he is likely to do, either by accident or on purpose, than I would be if Thatcher rose from the dead to rule in a different type of zombie government than Theresa May's has been.  lol

5 minutes ago, the mighty wednesday said:

That's the problem - the long run - they depend on the short term for their survival.

You are being too kind to Boris btw. I think I'm more scared of what he is likely to do, either by accident or on purpose, than I would be if Thatcher rose from the dead to rule in a different type of zombie government than Theresa May's has been.  lol

The entire world is completely fizzed and people with the means to do something about it won't. One of the reasons I don't want to bring a child into this world. 

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, mozzy85 said:

The entire world is completely fizzed and people with the means to do something about it won't. One of the reasons I don't want to bring a child into this world. 

I'm catching up on stuff I've recorded. Last night I watched Chernobyl which was pretty harrowing even without thinking about the ultimate consequences if it had gone even further wrong. I then watched Newsnight about Bojo's first day as PM and I felt like hiding behind the settee  lol

19 hours ago, Mr. Tom said:

Stressing at 27deg C is not a cost saving exercise (well everything is to some extent) but it's a balance. Stressing at higher temps creates problems at lower ambient temperatures. So we stress at a sufficiently high temp to minimise tracking buckling without increasing too much the risk of fracture under cold winter temps.

Coincidentally, the following was published a few days ago.

Warning: contains railway geeky stuff. Interesting nevertheless.

https://www.railmagazine.com/news/network/analysis-the-heat-is-on-and-stress-management-is-the-key

On modern track, we don't have problems at 27 deg. 27 is more a "neutral point". Issues arise at higher temps. Trouble is that exposed track in direct sunlight heats up considerably above ambient temperature. On crappy track issues arise at lower temps.

• Thanks 2

20 hours ago, casbahowl said:

Have it on good authority (one of the attendees) that DC flies into Heathrow from SF tomorrow and has called his senior management team down to London for weekend  meetings meaning none of said team will beat Sunday’s game ???

SF?

Somewhere foreign :duntmatter: 

41 minutes ago, the mighty wednesday said:

I'm catching up on stuff I've recorded. Last night I watched Chernobyl which was pretty harrowing even without thinking about the ultimate consequences if it had gone even further wrong. I then watched Newsnight about Bojo's first day as PM and I felt like hiding behind the settee  lol

I try not to watch the news as much, it's just depressing. I probably want to go walking into the Chernobyl facility itself after a week.