Moses Odubajo

Just now, Hitcat said:

He'll be a marauding wing-dinger.

Maybe, maybe not. Personally I don’t see us playing with wingers, and if we do, does he score enough goals? From what I can see, Bruce requires goals from his wide players, think Snodgrass, Kodija

12 minutes ago, MarkS43Owl said:

I think he'll set us up in a 3-5-2 similar to what he did in the first season with Villa.

I don’t particularly like it, but yes, I suppose it ticks a lot of boxes for us. We’d need a few more centre backs though

14 minutes ago, MarkS43Owl said:

I think he'll set us up in a 3-5-2 similar to what he did in the first season with Villa.

Wasn't this the system he used at Hull in 15/16?

If we do will the 3 be Iorfa - New (hopefully Hector) - Borner?

Edited by Sham67

3 minutes ago, Sham67 said:

My problem with that system is, unless you do something crazy, like Wilder at the stain, you have three centre backs, often marking just the one striker. If we did use Iorfa in that role, he’d be ideal if we were to replicate the way United play

5 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

My problem with that system is, unless you do something crazy, like Wilder at the stain, you have three centre backs, often marking just the one striker. If we did use Iorfa in that role, he’d be ideal if we were to replicate the way United play

He would also allow us to defend higher up the pitch.  The problem we have had for seasons, is that we defend way too deep because of our painfully slow central defenders.

A good signing if it comes off. A big upgrade on what we have had on that side for a while. Would provide much needed balance and if he plays reach on the left they should be able to provide the ammunition our forwards have been craving for.

53 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

I believe he will (or has) sign for us. If so, does the signing give us any sort of clue, as to how Bruce might set up? Given Odubajo’s versatility, then perhaps not. I see him as a sort of utility player, able to fill in at several positions. 

I think we will go with a version of 442, and I think our right hand side will be Iorfa and Odubajo

3-5-2 suits a few of our players. For example if he signs Odubajo as right wing back, Hutch (or a new CDM), Bannan and Lee/Reach as the middle three. 

And supposedly we are trying to sign Findlay and Willis to increase the centre back options (as well as Börner)

The issue with 3-5-2 formation is getting enough creativity and support to the front two. So I think we’d need to sign another creative central midfielder and a pacy striker. 

3 minutes ago, Dutch McLovin said:

I think we will go with a version of 442, and I think our right hand side will be Iorfa and Odubajo

I think the last thing we will go with is a straight 4-4-2.  Against the better sides we need 3 in the middle.  It's been our undoing for a year or two.  SB will have spotted this.

26 minutes ago, Sham67 said:

Yes, very effective if used in the right way.

When we played the formation with Jos he set us up extremely negatively. Rather than being able to transition from defence to attack his sole aim with that formation was to stop the opposition scoring.

The way Bruce sets up relies heavily on the WB's. El Mohammedy and Robertson were hugely important that season as were El Mohammedy and Hutton the season Villa got to the the PO Final.

Ideally you need CB's who are comfortable in possession and can play out from the back, Lees is quality but isn't great with the ball at his feet. I think Borner has been signed due to his ability with the ball at his feet.

1 minute ago, Sham67 said:

I think the last thing we will go with is a straight 4-4-2.  Against the better sides we need 3 in the middle.  It's been our undoing for a year or two.  SB will have spotted this.

When I say a version it will be flexible. Like away at Norwich last year, started a straight 442 wasn't working moved Forestieri out left and had Boyd as a midfield runner in the middle then later in the game went more 442 again.

There wont be anything straight about it but I do think this is how we will set up.

8 minutes ago, MarkS43Owl said:

Yes, very effective if used in the right way.

When we played the formation with Jos he set us up extremely negatively. Rather than being able to transition from defence to attack his sole aim with that formation was to stop the opposition scoring.

The way Bruce sets up relies heavily on the WB's. El Mohammedy and Robertson were hugely important that season as were El Mohammedy and Hutton the season Villa got to the the PO Final.

Ideally you need CB's who are comfortable in possession and can play out from the back, Lees is quality but isn't great with the ball at his feet. I think Borner has been signed due to his ability with the ball at his feet.

If we play that system, we have to copy Wilder’s version of it. The way he played was very effective, and reasonably pleasing on the eye. Don’t particularly like the idea of us trying to ape the piggies, but credit where credits due, he massively overachieved with the players he had at his disposal. Think of what we might achieve with the players we have

Edited by gurujuan

To make 352 work consistently especially from an attacking perspective you need the right players and a lot of work on the training ground.

The advantages are it gives you 3 in central midfield and 2 strikers.

The weakness is getting outnumbered out wide.

To prevent this you two wingbacks who can run all day yet still deliver decent crosses.

You also need wide centre backs who are happy to cover wide when the wing backs attack.

Lees would have to play central in the three.

Perhaps Iorfa as a right centre back but not really seen enough of him yet

Borner?

I don’t think Bruce will go 352

11 minutes ago, oldishowl said:

To make 352 work consistently especially from an attacking perspective you need the right players and a lot of work on the training ground.

The advantages are it gives you 3 in central midfield and 2 strikers.

The weakness is getting outnumbered out wide.

To prevent this you two wingbacks who can run all day yet still deliver decent crosses.

You also need wide centre backs who are happy to cover wide when the wing backs attack.

Lees would have to play central in the three.

Perhaps Iorfa as a right centre back but not really seen enough of him yet

Borner?

I don’t think Bruce will go 352

We don't have the depth at LB to play 3-5-2, Palmer can't play there so we'd be left with Penney alone, with Odubajo as dubious cover

4 minutes ago, Minton said:

We don't have the depth at LB to play 3-5-2, Palmer can't play there so we'd be left with Penney alone, with Odubajo as dubious cover

Palmer in my opinion is a better LB than RB.

I certainly don't agree with Odubajo as 'dubious cover' he played the majority of his 30+ games last season at LB.