• Phil King
    • Ian Nolan
    • Andy Hinchliffe
    • Tommy Spurr
    • Reda Johnson
    • Daniel Pudil

4 minutes ago, Lawrie Madden said:

Lacking Hoops around the sock area tho

Crikey Loz they're the socks of success!

Our last three silverware wins have come with those beauties!!

In fact,  I'd go as far as to say that if Bruces' transfer budget ends up being diddle because of FFP we might have to change the socks on the home kit to ensure we're challenging at the top end next season!

promotion.thumb.PNG.7a9980ab3a085295dc953c61e2ed3ee4.PNG

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, MoorfOwl said:

I don't know when this incident occurred, but I have a favourite memory from my days on the Kop. Like most memories, it improves with age and re-telling. This one involved Don Megson running full tilt back towards his own goal, squeezed between two opposing forwards both going a similar speed, so Don couldn't play a back pass to Ron or knock the ball to either side. A full-speed stepover and about turn was a bit too sophisticated for Don's repertoire. So, in the absence of alternatives, he thundered the ball over his own bar from twenty-odd yards out with the venom that only he could put behind one of those old leather footballs. My mate and I stood there and stared at each other, not really able to believe what we'd just seen.  Don was the perfect physique for a full back of that era, built like a tank but quick to close down opponents. When a winger got clattered by Don, he knew he'd been clattered! Ah, they don't really do that sort of thing any more, do they? (Though I have to say, the perfectly fair tackle for which Pelupessy was yellow-carded on Saturday didn't half take me back to the good old days!)

Fantastic!

Love this these sorts of memories that these threads can bring back to the fore.

• Thanks 1

Easily Irish for me.

Like Nilsson so graceful! Ok the least likely footballer I've ever seen, but so effective and consistent,

Loved his partnership with Kingy

Another 1 who rated Snodin highly too though.

Edited by OWL1969

I was 17 when we won the league Cup, so it's incredibly hard especially after all the lean years and our steady decline afterwards for me to not vote for players from that early 1990's era. 

Of course there's the Italian duo benni & Paolo. 

Emerson thome. Alexandersson and so on, whelan & brunt, but would I be able to vote them in ahead of hirst snr, Sheridan, Palmer, Pearson, waddle?? 

So for me nige follows Roland into the dream team. Underrated and a little understated at times, but fantastic team player, willing runner and an all round solid player. 

Though for God's sake we need to bann him from Defending the posts from set pieces lol

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Oliver Cromwell said:

Anyone else old enough to remember left back Norman Curtis. Hardest player I've ever seen, and when he took a penalty he started his run up from near the half way line.

I think I saw him once when my Dad first took me to Hillsborough.  I'm told he was nicknamed 'Cannonball'.

34 minutes ago, Oliver Cromwell said:

Anyone else old enough to remember left back Norman Curtis. Hardest player I've ever seen, and when he took a penalty he started his run up from near the half way line.

He’d just finished when I started going.  Don had taken his place but my Dad would always mention Norman in his post match summary to the young ibbo who’d be waiting expectantly at the door to find out how they’d gone on 

No Michael Gray? He might have only played a short time for the Owls at the end of his career, but every time I saw him play he was a shining light. You could see his footballing brain was a good few yards ahead of the rest of the lads. A class act.

In this poll I have to say Irish.

4 hours ago, Oliver Cromwell said:

Crikey Ollie you've put some service in, he left at the end of the 59/60 season. You must have seen some right old up and downs following the team in that time.