• Charlie Williamson
    • Nigel Worthington
    • Phil King
    • Ian Nolan
    • Andy Hinchliffe
    • Tommy Spurr
    • Reda Johnson
    • Daniel Pudil

Think I’ll go for Megson based on his service and consistency, he was rarely injured and a great captain. He lacked finesse but had the ability to cross accurately and shoot with great power,( the disallowed goal v Man U nearly broke the net).

Worthington and King deserve credit, and of course Ken “Custard Muscles” Burton was great entertainment value puffing up the left side like he was about to expire.:tango:

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

£135k plus add ons for 338 games is certainly decent value for money.

Know what you're saying though. Peter Gilbert... Jon Hills... Joe Mattock.... Bez..Craig Armstrong (?)....it's not been a position of real strength for some time.

No doubting his service and him and King were a great little duo. 

Plus the free kick routine with Shez or  King, when he ran over the ball.  I think he did it about 10 times in this match....

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Rogers said:

No doubting his service and him and King were a great little duo. 

Plus the free kick routine with Shez or  King, when he ran over the ball.  I think he did it about 10 times in this match....

I bloody loved that routine.

So simple.

And they got away with it time after time.

Mind. That's when Goals on Sunday was regional!!

3 hours ago, Pablo Bonvin said:

Irish for me. Played many times and gave really good service over those many years. And of course his pass to Shezza in 1991 cup final!

A big claim for the assist there , are you suggesting he deliberately played a wall-pass off Pallisters head!?

31 minutes ago, Mardy Bum said:

no paul heckingbottom :ghoulguy:

Played less than 50 games for us, rules must be adhered to.

That said, would he have got any votes anyway? He was alright in L1 but even if that's the earliest someone can remember would they seriously vote for him ahead of Pudil or even Reda?

30 minutes ago, alanharper said:

Played less than 50 games for us, rules must be adhered to.

That said, would he have got any votes anyway? He was alright in L1 but even if that's the earliest someone can remember would they seriously vote for him ahead of Pudil or even Reda?

was only joking lol

Only seen the most recent three on the list.

If the vote had been at the end of the play off final season I would have gone for Pudil, that season he was by far the best left back we’ve had since I’ve been attending, subsequent performances have really let him down and his decline as a left back was extreme.

Reda gets my vote for being the goal scoring machine and lovable character he was!

• Like 1

Again was limited in my choices. Pudil for me.

The play off season (first time around) he was up there with the best left backs in the league.

To this day, i don't think Hunt and him get enough credit for the miles they put in that season. They basically were playing as wing backs, while still in a flat back 4.

• Like 1

I don't know when this incident occurred, but I have a favourite memory from my days on the Kop. Like most memories, it improves with age and re-telling. This one involved Don Megson running full tilt back towards his own goal, squeezed between two opposing forwards both going a similar speed, so Don couldn't play a back pass to Ron or knock the ball to either side. A full-speed stepover and about turn was a bit too sophisticated for Don's repertoire. So, in the absence of alternatives, he thundered the ball over his own bar from twenty-odd yards out with the venom that only he could put behind one of those old leather footballs. My mate and I stood there and stared at each other, not really able to believe what we'd just seen.  Don was the perfect physique for a full back of that era, built like a tank but quick to close down opponents. When a winger got clattered by Don, he knew he'd been clattered! Ah, they don't really do that sort of thing any more, do they? (Though I have to say, the perfectly fair tackle for which Pelupessy was yellow-carded on Saturday didn't half take me back to the good old days!)

• Like 3

With my first season ticket being from 2000 I'm blessed with choices here

WTF:

Heart says Reda, head has gone Tommy Spurr remember him scoring some decent goals. Also he seemed decent at the time and I felt he'd go onto better things. Partly my judgement may be blurred as on Football Manager back in the day I made him potentially better than Ashley Cole

lol

Edited by ReginaldD