• Ian Nolan
    • Andy Hinchliffe
    • Tommy Spurr
    • Reda Johnson
    • Daniel Pudil

image.png.d14a91d737178d4a8bc56359708ed68e.png

"It's a magic number."

"What does that even mean?"

"I have no idea. I think it's something to do with applied mathematics and physics and the building blocks of the Universe"

"Right"

"Anyway, that's not really the issue, we're hear today to discuss the left backs! And haven't we had some left backs!"

" Indeed, Sir. Danny Cameron, Jon Beswether-"

"Silence!"

"Sorry,Sir"

"Y'know Stubbs there's something about left backs. I don't know why but in my mind they always seem to be tougher than right backs. Seem to tackle harder than right backs. The most unhinged full backs always seem to be left footed in my minds eye. Don't they?  Tougher, meaner, nastier. Maybe a figment of my imagination but right backs always seem 'nicer'. When a full back puts someone in the front of the stand it's nearly always a left back.  Maybe it's because some of them are left footed but right handed and the different parts of their brain are fighting for supremacy and it leaves them with that crackpot mentality"

"I have no idea what you're on about Sir."

RJ-1.gif

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Don Megson

Just like Springett, there’s just a handful of us older posters who saw him play so I guess the poll inevitably will go with Worthington..

Don was the consummate professional, captain, ever present, tough tackling, dependable and the sort of player that the modern game doesn’t seem to throw up.

We’ve struggled in that position since and only the Worthington / King combo managed to fill that gap for that brief period

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Ibbo48 said:

Don Megson

Just like Springett, there’s just a handful of us older posters who saw him play so I guess the poll inevitably will go with Worthington..

Don was the consummate professional, captain, ever present, tough tackling, dependable and the sort of player that the modern game doesn’t seem to throw up.

Imagine a player catching a couple of buses from Manchester to come training these days!

1 minute ago, Morepork said:

Be nice if we had a little graphic with our chosen players added in......I'm a cheeky beggar I know!! lol

PS: Irish 

You don't know the pains it caused a luddite like me trying to cobble together that right back mosaic for the last vote for the right backs!!

Cutting and pasting on paint! :ohmy::blink::laugh:

I might just stick some random photos in here to keep it tackling along and remind folks and jog some memories.

• Thanks 1

There's only one Don Megson. Tough as nails, cool, calm and collected on the ball. A great captain and a pure gentleman. I consider it a huge privilege to have seen him play for The Wednesday.

And let's not forget , he gave us the Ginger Genius. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

Not to start a row or anything.

But technically I do think Hinchliffe was the best.

Not the same thing as dream player.

Do think it was a shame about his injuries though. 

Maybe so but he was half the player that Worthington was. 

3 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

You don't know the pains it caused a luddite like me trying to cobble together that right back mosaic for the last vote for the right backs!!

Cutting and pasting on paint! :ohmy::blink::laugh:

I might just stick some random photos in here to keep it tackling along and remind folks and jog some memories.

Man of your mean just pays someone surely. lol

Be nice if that artist fella that occasionally plies his wares on here painted us up the Owlstalk Dreamteam to auction for a good cause as well......

Just now, shandypants said:

Maybe so but he was half the player that Worthington was. 

I just remember that free kick against West Ham when Di Canio came back.

There's been few occasions I don't think where I so willed a shot to go in. 

7 minutes ago, Blue and white said:

Are we having a manager and kits in this dream team m'lord.

We'll do the manager and kit.

Though with the kits I maybe forced to have only one option when it comes to the home kit

We can't take any risks with people not voting for.."The kit of success"

11666159_10153951641876111_3741494354024751264_n.thumb.jpg.44e3d4e1c4e8f68b69665be87c33c5b2.jpg

7 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

I just remember that free kick against West Ham when Di Canio came back.

There's been few occasions I don't think where I so willed a shot to go in. 

Hinchcliffe was a real player no doubt but he didn’t get to the byline as much as I’d like. Worthington was quite “agricultural” when compared to Hinchcliffe but he could put in a good cross or set piece with that left peg of his. Worthington didn’t have the exciting “flying” stride of Mel “Zico” Sterland but he’d get up and down that left hand side (with that cocked hand, strange gate and sort of shuffle) like nobody’s business. He didn’t have the aggression of David Grant but Worthington would take no prisoners in the tackle but never looked a thug. 

Worthington is a legend for being brilliantly consistent and effective - you’d probably offend him by calling him cultured. My guess is that only Wednesdayites truly appreciate how good he was as we saw him week in week out.