• Nigel Worthington
    • Phil King
    • Ian Nolan
    • Andy Hinchliffe
    • Tommy Spurr
    • Reda Johnson
    • Daniel Pudil

17 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

Crikey Ollie you've put some service in, he left at the end of the 59/60 season. You must have seen some right old up and downs following the team in that time.

Yes, seems more downs than ups.

Had a season ticket for most of the time.

Son has one and youngest granddaughter has just got her first for next season. Must be quite a few put in more years than me though.

• Like 2

I have seen them all bar Megson and my vote goes for Irish.

A little mention to Ian Bailey who looked like a real prospect before breaking his leg in a 2-0 win at Bolton just before the 83 semi final, never really recovered from his injury.

• Thanks 1

Worthington always a bit beige for me. Hinchcliffe had a mean corner and free-kick, but remember his comeback when his knees were so fat they barely could fit in his socks.

So has to be Reda. 18 goals in 75 appearances - pretty much 1 in 4, from left back!

Some of our main strikers over the years (not all of them awful) could only maintain a similar, or in some cases worse, strike rate...

Dalian Atkinson - 10 goals in 38 apps

Andy Booth - 28 goals in 133 apps

Shefki Kuqi - 19 goals in 64 apps

Marcus Tudgay - 49 goals in 196 apps

Gary Madine - 26 goals in 101 apps

Adthe Nuhiu - 33 goals in 203 apps

Jordan Rhodes - 8 goals in 49 apps

Steven Fletcher - 24 goals in 97 apps

Nigel Worthington for me,left back or left MF Worthy always gave his all,decent cross on him and the odd goal along the way.

Just shades out Don Megson who was a proper no nonsense LB,tackled hard but fair,and skippered the side for many years,like irish he scored the odd goal along the way,usually belters as well.

Honourable mention too for Dave Clements,like Don had the nickname tank,and two steady homegrown performers in Dave Grant & his replacement Charlie Williamson who made his home debut in the boxing day massacre,both played with pride and reliability.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, legendaryswan said:

Homegrown....... Charlie Williamson who made his home debut in the boxing day massacre

It's hard to imagine how amazing that must have been.

Home debut in the 100th Sheffield derby.  And winning it too. The mose famous result in that fixtures history.

Irish for me, only saw Don Megson play a couple of times and I was just a young kid so can't really judge, but Worthington's record speaks for itself.

Edited by Utah Owl

2 hours ago, Lord Snooty said:

A question of who is least worst!

Absolutely. The one position we've seemingly never had a good player in. Loved Reda but wasn't exactly a quality full back. On the other side we did at least have Simek and Buxton who were handy at the level we were at.

2 hours ago, vulture_squadron said:

Would be good to see a poll of the best Owls XI this century. Folklore seems to take care of the best of all time. Who's the best left back since we were relegated from Prem? Much harder question!

Much as the current dream team vote winners will largely be dominated by the early 90s team, this century's would pretty much be the 2016 side with perhaps the odd other player such as Brunt or Antonio included.

6 minutes ago, alanharper said:

Much as the current dream team vote winners will largely be dominated by the early 90s team, this century's would pretty much be the 2016 side with perhaps the odd other player such as Brunt or Antonio included.

Good point Alan.

Mind you,  I'm still surprised at the low scores for some of the more recent players.  I thought this Internet game was mainly a young persons area and as such that they might vote in greater number. (Or maybe fan forums aren't cool amongst the young and they're all in twitter where there's not as much to read and it's all quick, easy and soundbites?)

I do wonder what the age demographic is among our fanbase. It might be much older than I'd thought. -Mind, with ticket prices these days going to the match isn't something you can pay for with your paper round money like back in the day.

8 hours ago, legendaryswan said:

Nigel Worthington for me,left back or left MF Worthy always gave his all,decent cross on him and the odd goal along the way.

Just shades out Don Megson who was a proper no nonsense LB,tackled hard but fair,and skippered the side for many years,like irish he scored the odd goal along the way,usually belters as well.

Honourable mention too for Dave Clements,like Don had the nickname tank,and two steady homegrown performers in Dave Grant & his replacement Charlie Williamson who made his home debut in the boxing day massacre,both played with pride and reliability.

think the" tackled hard and fair" is pushing it a bit …….read his book and he wasn't averse to clattering wingers from behind .he went straight thru alex scott early in the cup final and copped a load of abuse from tommy eggleston his former coach and replied with" i'm only doing what you taught me ".....different game back then I suppose .

• Thanks 1