Blast from the past - Gary Bannister

9 hours ago, alanharper said:

Brilliant striker,  would be a £15-20m player these days. How times have changed, when we got Bannister, Varadi and Chapman for around £100k each. 

He was brave as well tho not really physical, remember him being sparked out after scoring a header at the Kop end a split second before being punched in the head by the keeper. Then after treatment ran back to halfway on his own for the restart saluting the crowd. Memory says against Brighton but not 100% on that. I did fall out with him after he missed 2 penalties in the same game against Wolves and I turned his photo on my bedroom wall around so I couldn't see him, but I soon forgave him and turned him around again 

This memory came up as soon as I started reading these posts! I believe (could be wrong) it was against Charlton with Ronnie Moore playing for them (Memories of "Ronnie Moore, Ronnie Moore he gets the ball and does F - all!) Then he scored late on. We won 4:1

13 hours ago, oldowl67 said:

I can still remember the game on 4 May 1982 when there were 20,000 packed into Millmoor as we chased the third and final promotion spot back to Division 1. Banno scored both our goals in a 2-2 draw. We were convinced we had been robbed by a Tony Towner dive that gave them a penalty that I think was scored by Emlyn Hughes. My memory tells me that when I got home still outraged by the penalty decision my parents were watching the TV where news had just broken that HMS Sheffield had been hit by an Exocet down in the Falklands.

the game and dive that probably cost us promotion that season as we missed out by 1 point to Norwich. Absolutely belting 2nd goal by bannister from the edge of the area. the usual crush getting out of the away end going down the tight path with Rotherham fans chucking things at you.

1 hour ago, Peacenocchio said:

Seem to remember a last minute winner thumping header at Shrewsbury?

Oh yes, it was one of those games where the atmosphere was electric, there is not many games I have been to where the away fans went crazy for the last few minutes and long after the game, the place was bouncing with fans hanging from the stations, the noise was amazing, on a par with blackburn 1980 and Newcastle 1984.

2 hours ago, Peacenocchio said:

Seem to remember a last minute winner thumping header at Shrewsbury?

7 minutes ago, owler66 said:

The goal I remember most is the header against Norwich with the fan behind doing the diving header lol

Yes.  Easter time / late season sunny evening game. Can still see it going in now 

20 hours ago, ZicoSterland2 said:

Shes here shes there shes f.......  Everywhere Bannisters wife. Went from absolute crowd favourite to that little ditty on his return to Hillsborough. Absolutely adored him just didnt seem to miss chances. On leaving us though career seemed to fall away.

He did really well at QPR and is considered as big a legend there than he is here.  Scored 20 goals in a season in the top flight for them.  Close to an England call at one point.

23 hours ago, Lord Snooty said:

Gary Bannister

image.png.45c643e23e6ee769213b1e09f03de3d4.png

Position : Striker

Fee: £100,000

Apps: 117+1

Goals : 55 + (16 cup)

First Game: 29th August 1981
Final Game: 12th May 1984

Bannister joined Wednesday from Coventry City for  £100,000 in the summer of 1981. Bannister was an absolute crowd favourite at Wednesday, and it was no wonder, with an all action style and pace he was an absolute menace to opposition defences.  In his three short years here he was top scorer with 22 goals in each campaign.

By God what we'd do now for a striker who was always fit and could bang in 20 goals a season!

Bannister had that habit of getting on the shoulder on the half turn and getting around and a shot away.

In his first season (1981–82) he was voted Player of the Year, and represented England at under-21 level. In 1983–84 he formed a feared partnership with Imre Varadi; the pair scored 41 goals between them as Wednesday returned to the First Division for the first time in 14 years under Howard Wilkinson.

Sadly Bannister never played for Wednesday in Division One as he left to join Queens Park Rangers as a replacement for Clive Allen in the summer of 1984 for a fee of just over £200,000k. Actually, Allen was still there and moved during the season giving Bannister his chance at Loftus Road. 

I often wonder what Bannister would have done to top flight defences in that team. I think he'd have carried on doing what he was doing in dvision 2. But...that all supposition now...

As usual with an outgoing player there were rumours the diminutive (5"7) striker wasn't a fan of all the running at training. It was a trope doing the rounds everytime the exit door swung open.

Anyone seeing Bannister though knew he was fit as a fiddle anyway and full of running.

Banno says the writing was on the wall with Chapman coming to Hillsbrough and Howard was already planning ahead.

He banged goals in for QPR on their plastic pictch before having a nomadic end to his career playing for Forest, West Brom, Lincoln and Darlington,eventually hanging up his boots aged 35.

Currently working in maintaince in the Midlands. A different post playing life to what most modern pros will come to expect.

What are your memories of Banno.

23 hours ago, S36 OWL said:

Brilliant striker for us. 

Takes me back Snoots 

I thought at the time he'd been a winger at coventry, but jack freed him up for us, in the way that pep has sterling 'free' at citeh, and southgate for England too.

14 hours ago, Mav-erick said:

A right poser but he could get away with it as he was so good.

Remember him turning up pre season with bleach blond hair and thinking how cool he looked so had my hair dyed the same colour.  Could strike the ball with either feet which is sadly lacking in some of today’s top strikers who all seem one footed. Never understood that , if you are playing at the highest level you should be able to kick a ball with both feet , especially as a forward. 

not so, eddie gray at l**ds could open a can of beans with his left foot but could only stand on his right, undoubtedly numerous others too throughout.

the very best finisher I ever saw looked like he couldn't kick a ball with either foot.

2 hours ago, matt68owls said:

the game and dive that probably cost us promotion that season as we missed out by 1 point to Norwich. Absolutely belting 2nd goal by bannister from the edge of the area. the usual crush getting out of the away end going down the tight path with Rotherham fans chucking things at you.

shithole scumbag club.