Gary Bannister

image.png.45c643e23e6ee769213b1e09f03de3d4.png

Position : Striker

Fee: £100,000

Apps: 117+1

Goals : 55 + (16 cup)

First Game: 29th August 1981
Final Game: 12th May 1984

Bannister joined Wednesday from Coventry City for  £100,000 in the summer of 1981. Bannister was an absolute crowd favourite at Wednesday, and it was no wonder, with an all action style and pace he was an absolute menace to opposition defences.  In his three short years here he was top scorer with 22 goals in each campaign.

By God what we'd do now for a striker who was always fit and could bang in 20 goals a season!

Bannister had that habit of getting on the shoulder on the half turn and getting around and a shot away.

In his first season (1981–82) he was voted Player of the Year, and represented England at under-21 level. In 1983–84 he formed a feared partnership with Imre Varadi; the pair scored 41 goals between them as Wednesday returned to the First Division for the first time in 14 years under Howard Wilkinson.

Sadly Bannister never played for Wednesday in Division One as he left to join Queens Park Rangers as a replacement for Clive Allen in the summer of 1984 for a fee of just over £200,000k. Actually, Allen was still there and moved during the season giving Bannister his chance at Loftus Road. 

I often wonder what Bannister would have done to top flight defences in that team. I think he'd have carried on doing what he was doing in dvision 2. But...that all supposition now...

As usual with an outgoing player there were rumours the diminutive (5"7) striker wasn't a fan of all the running at training. It was a trope doing the rounds everytime the exit door swung open.

Anyone seeing Bannister though knew he was fit as a fiddle anyway and full of running.

Banno says the writing was on the wall with Chapman coming to Hillsbrough and Howard was already planning ahead.

He banged goals in for QPR on their plastic pictch before having a nomadic end to his career playing for Forest, West Brom, Lincoln and Darlington,eventually hanging up his boots aged 35.

Currently working in maintaince in the Midlands. A different post playing life to what most modern pros will come to expect.

What are your memories of Banno.

Banno

One of my all time favourites. 

Reight player. 

Superb Wedge. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Fantasic goals ratio.

So many people were upset when he left for Loftus Road.

Grown men shaking their heads forlornly when he left.

But in came Marwood on the wing and Chapman as the target man and Wednesday became in more hard to handle in many ways.

But Bannisters contribution to getting Wednesday back at the top table can never be overestimated.

Truly , despite only a relativly short stay,  - A proper  Wednesday hero.

• Thanks 1

Got to be one of my all time favourites. I can remember the photo on the front of the programme when he joined, him , Meggo and Big Jim Holton.

How times have changed....couldn’t afford a house in London, now working as a hotel maintenance man !

Just think, Abdi could retire today ( he probably has) and never have to work again , yet Banno, who gave so much to Wednesday and QPR, is scraping by in hotel maintenance.

Wish I knew which hotel he was in, I’d stay there and when I checked out I give the receptionist £100 for the tip jar and when she said “ ohh thank you, the kitchen staff will be very pleased “ I’d say “ f*ck them, it’s for the maintenance man”

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, ZicoSterland2 said:

Shes here shes there shes f.......  Everywhere Bannisters wife. Went from absolute crowd favourite to that little ditty on his return to Hillsborough. Absolutely adored him just didnt seem to miss chances. On leaving us though career seemed to fall away.

I think he did pretty well at QPR tbh 

Loved the guy aswell , I was about 17/18 when we he was playing for us and thought he was reyt cool lol

We had a good side under Jack Charlton and then Wilko and Bannister was instrumental in those sides 

Brilliant player, very influential...changed my life...I took a photo of him to the hairdressers to get my wedge cut...worked wonders...I met my wife!

Seriously though great partnership with Varadi, which we never really got again under Wilko. Chapman was pretty reliable but Tomo and Colin West just didn't work.

Can't believe those Bannister stats...no wonder life felt so good back then. 

• Like 1

Will always be synonymous to me with my introduction to all things Wednesday as a 5-year-old, going to my first games with dad. Part of an era I don't really remember any clear details about, but all the names on the back of the programme in those days - Bannister, Knight, Shutt, Snodin, Shelton - are still so deeply evocative of the general wonder you felt at being ushered into that world as a proper young 'un.

Thanks dad. :wub:

Edited by Mr. Tom
  • Like 1