Blast from the past - Gary Bannister

4 hours ago, matt68owls said:

Oh yes, it was one of those games where the atmosphere was electric, there is not many games I have been to where the away fans went crazy for the last few minutes and long after the game, the place was bouncing with fans hanging from the stations, the noise was amazing, on a par with blackburn 1980 and Newcastle 1984.

Yes. We always lost at Gay Meadow but that year we finally did them.

4 hours ago, matt68owls said:

the game and dive that probably cost us promotion that season as we missed out by 1 point to Norwich. Absolutely belting 2nd goal by bannister from the edge of the area. the usual crush getting out of the away end going down the tight path with Rotherham fans chucking things at you.

Only time I have literally foamed at the mouth. Towner dived a bit like the famous Barnsley one and Emlyn Hughes scored the pen and then ran right up to the Wednesday fans.

Still mad about it all tbh.

Edited by Peacenocchio

What can I say?

An absolute hero of mine , at an age when Sheffield Wednesday were all I cared about.

Quite an unassuming bloke really, I remember Gary Shelton was always signing autographs and getting invilved with fans, whereas Banno could barely be fussed to smile at us.

Stange career as well, he obviously went to QPR for a few more quid at a time when it really made a difference.  

I've got one of those Silhouette t shirts with his face and 'Goal Machine' written underneath it. The hairstyle is unmistakable. 

2 hours ago, Bannofan said:

What can I say?

An absolute hero of mine , at an age when Sheffield Wednesday were all I cared about.

Quite an unassuming bloke really, I remember Gary Shelton was always signing autographs and getting invilved with fans, whereas Banno could barely be fussed to smile at us.

Stange career as well, he obviously went to QPR for a few more quid at a time when it really made a difference.  

I've got one of those Silhouette t shirts with his face and 'Goal Machine' written underneath it. The hairstyle is unmistakable. 

hair.jpg

Just a sort of post match reflection,  but can you imagine any of the current squad being regarded with same affection in 40 years time as Andy Mac, Banno and Shelts ?

Just can’t see it myself. Shame really.

Another memory regarding Banno was one of the best games I’ve been to that we lost

A night match at Wolves with plenty of banter about our lack of roof and them having one, we lost 1-0, Banno missed 2 penalties and had his name echoing around the ground from the Wednesday end at the end of the game.

Mick Lyons was also sent off after been surrounded in the back of the net by most of the Wolves team and offering to take them all on

7 hours ago, Ibbo48 said:

Just a sort of post match reflection,  but can you imagine any of the current squad being regarded with same affection in 40 years time as Andy Mac, Banno and Shelts ?

Just can’t see it myself. Shame really.

If they achieve promotion yes