Blast from the past - Gary Bannister

There was a thread on here last week about Andy Mac. and I said that he was one of those players that everybody liked and nobody had a bad word to say about him, well Banno is just the same.

Ask any fan from that era about him and they’ll all say , loved him, great little striker. I think that says it all.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, S36 OWL said:

Best shirt we have ever had. 

Definitely. It's a thing of beauty. Even the red number on the back.

Edited by Nut
Double quote!

1 minute ago, goldensmoke said:

Thanks Snoots. Don’t even need an invitation on this one. 

Can it be really 38 years ago that he arrived at Hillsborough? Banno was simply mint. Great hair, the coolest 80s footballer you could imagine; great movement, he could turn in the blink of an eye, those jinking runs, electric pace and great finishing. 

Jack could certainly sign a player. I remember his debut on a sunny summer afternoon at Hillsborough on a perfect stripy green carpet against Crystal Palace and he scored in front at the Lepps. He always had his shorts almost rolled up with the waistline tucked over with the best Wednesday shirt ever tucked in! Banno always looked to me like he should have been in Duran Duran, we had a new romantic playing up front for Wednesday. I was aged 11 when he signed and was heartbroken at 14 when he left. Those three years were simply magical growing up watching Wednesday get in position to be promoted to Division One. To me there was a certainty that we were progressing and would be promoted, Jack and then Howard, I never doubted either of them for a minute. How we unearthed a player of Bannos talent I’ll never know, but he left an impression that will last forever. Indeed an all time Wednesday hero. I will certainly never forget how he lit the pitch up.

Great post.

I can still remember the game on 4 May 1982 when there were 20,000 packed into Millmoor as we chased the third and final promotion spot back to Division 1. Banno scored both our goals in a 2-2 draw. We were convinced we had been robbed by a Tony Towner dive that gave them a penalty that I think was scored by Emlyn Hughes. My memory tells me that when I got home still outraged by the penalty decision my parents were watching the TV where news had just broken that HMS Sheffield had been hit by an Exocet down in the Falklands.

• Like 4

Brilliant striker,  would be a £15-20m player these days. How times have changed, when we got Bannister, Varadi and Chapman for around £100k each. 

He was brave as well tho not really physical, remember him being sparked out after scoring a header at the Kop end a split second before being punched in the head by the keeper. Then after treatment ran back to halfway on his own for the restart saluting the crowd. Memory says against Brighton but not 100% on that. I did fall out with him after he missed 2 penalties in the same game against Wolves and I turned his photo on my bedroom wall around so I couldn't see him, but I soon forgave him and turned him around again 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mardy Bum said:

Good stats them tbf, not really heard of him

giphy.gif

In all seriousness it was only a short window of time he was here.

But he made a huge impact.

I think that's why these threads have their place on here. 

Our club is about our history. Our culture if you like. So much of the past isn't on film. There's the stats for those that like to rummage. But these threads when people pile in with the memories build up the whole. Fill in gaps and add colour and depth to the rich history of our club. A shared collective memory fulls it out and makes it 3D and of course helps younger fans immerse themselves in the club they love.

Like I did when my father passed on tales to me about the players he used to watch.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

A right poser but he could get away with it as he was so good.

Remember him turning up pre season with bleach blond hair and thinking how cool he looked so had my hair dyed the same colour.  Could strike the ball with either feet which is sadly lacking in some of today’s top strikers who all seem one footed. Never understood that , if you are playing at the highest level you should be able to kick a ball with both feet , especially as a forward. 

3 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

In all seriousness it was only a short window of time he was here.

But he made a huge impact.

I think that's why these threads have their place on here. 

Our club is about our history. Our culture if you like. So much of the past isn't on film. There's the stats for those that like to rummage. But these threads when people pile in with the memories build up the whole. Fill in gaps and add colour and depth to the rich history of our club. A shared collective memory fulls it out and makes it 3D and of course helps younger fans immerse themselves in the club they love.

Like I did when my father passed on tales to me about the players he used to watch.  

Well said. I may be knocking on a bit now (47 tomorrow!) but I'm fortunate to have seen some really great Wednesday players and teams. Started going in Feb 1981 aged 8 and despite being forever annoyed that I didn't start going a couple of years earlier so that I could have experienced the 79/80 season I count myself lucky to have clear memories of the 80s and 90s (can't recall anywhere near as clearly stuff that's happened since then!). Although the early 90s were obviously the peak there was just something magical about the early 80s under Big Jack and Wilko. My early heroes were Curran and McCulloch, Varadi and Bannister, Lyons and Sterland, Shelton and Megson. I actually feel a bit sorry for the youngsters and not so young any mores who may be 20 years younger than me but whose formative memories and early "heroes" were the likes of Proudlock, Ekoku,  Soltvedt etc. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, parkfieldowl14 said:

Fantastic Player in my time.Him and Hirsty have to be my top two Strikers at S6.lol

With Bannisters strong running and willingness to stretch teams they'd have probably made and excellent pairing had their paths crossed.

As it was Banno was 31 and at West Brom by the time Hirst really started full filling his potential.

A great debate to be had in the old dream team stakes though!