Blast from the past - Gary Bannister

On 13/04/2019 at 12:32, brian joicey said:

anyone remember his last minute winner at shrewsbury ??? LIMBS ! 

81/82 season wasn't it ?

We beat Cambridge week after at home and went about 4 points clear in third place with around 5 games left , you know the rest!

23 hours ago, Ian said:

Another memory regarding Banno was one of the best games I’ve been to that we lost

A night match at Wolves with plenty of banter about our lack of roof and them having one, we lost 1-0, Banno missed 2 penalties and had his name echoing around the ground from the Wednesday end at the end of the game.

Mick Lyons was also sent off after been surrounded in the back of the net by most of the Wolves team and offering to take them all on

I remember it well, the banter was fantastic. I remember him pulling his shirt over his head when he missed the second one.

It was also the easiest away game to get to for me that season. I was based just outside Wolverhampton (RAF Cosford) at that time.

22 minutes ago, roaminowl said:

I remember it well, the banter was fantastic. I remember him pulling his shirt over his head when he missed the second one.

It was also the easiest away game to get to for me that season. I was based just outside Wolverhampton (RAF Cosford) at that time.

Remember it well too,we were taking the wee wee out of their accent by singing ‘what the F-ing hell’s a Woof ‘ ! Banno missed 2pens in the last 5 mins iirc ? 

On 14/04/2019 at 20:54, Watto said:

81/82 season wasn't it ?

We beat Cambridge week after at home and went about 4 points clear in third place with around 5 games left , you know the rest!

We actually went 6 points clear with 5 to play. We were almost home and dry but as ever, the wheels came off our away form. A thumping at Watford, a draw at Rotherham (after a very debatable penalty following a dive by Towner when big daft Emlyn celebrated in front of us almost causing a riot) and a loss at a very poor Bolton team put paid to our promotion hopes even before the last game against Norwich, who went up   

On 12/04/2019 at 12:34, Lord Snooty said:

Gary Bannister

image.png.45c643e23e6ee769213b1e09f03de3d4.png

Position : Striker

Fee: £100,000

Apps: 117+1

Goals : 55 + (16 cup)

First Game: 29th August 1981
Final Game: 12th May 1984

Bannister joined Wednesday from Coventry City for  £100,000 in the summer of 1981. Bannister was an absolute crowd favourite at Wednesday, and it was no wonder, with an all action style and pace he was an absolute menace to opposition defences.  In his three short years here he was top scorer with 22 goals in each campaign.

By God what we'd do now for a striker who was always fit and could bang in 20 goals a season!

Bannister had that habit of getting on the shoulder on the half turn and getting around and a shot away.

In his first season (1981–82) he was voted Player of the Year, and represented England at under-21 level. In 1983–84 he formed a feared partnership with Imre Varadi; the pair scored 41 goals between them as Wednesday returned to the First Division for the first time in 14 years under Howard Wilkinson.

Sadly Bannister never played for Wednesday in Division One as he left to join Queens Park Rangers as a replacement for Clive Allen in the summer of 1984 for a fee of just over £200,000k. Actually, Allen was still there and moved during the season giving Bannister his chance at Loftus Road. 

I often wonder what Bannister would have done to top flight defences in that team. I think he'd have carried on doing what he was doing in dvision 2. But...that all supposition now...

As usual with an outgoing player there were rumours the diminutive (5"7) striker wasn't a fan of all the running at training. It was a trope doing the rounds everytime the exit door swung open.

Anyone seeing Bannister though knew he was fit as a fiddle anyway and full of running.

Banno says the writing was on the wall with Chapman coming to Hillsbrough and Howard was already planning ahead.

He banged goals in for QPR on their plastic pictch before having a nomadic end to his career playing for Forest, West Brom, Lincoln and Darlington,eventually hanging up his boots aged 35.

Currently working in maintaince in the Midlands. A different post playing life to what most modern pros will come to expect.

What are your memories of Banno.

Just the type of Forward we need today.

Quick and direct.

On 13/04/2019 at 05:53, alanharper said:

Brilliant striker,  would be a £15-20m player these days. How times have changed, when we got Bannister, Varadi and Chapman for around £100k each. 

He was brave as well tho not really physical, remember him being sparked out after scoring a header at the Kop end a split second before being punched in the head by the keeper. Then after treatment ran back to halfway on his own for the restart saluting the crowd. Memory says against Brighton but not 100% on that. I did fall out with him after he missed 2 penalties in the same game against Wolves and I turned his photo on my bedroom wall around so I couldn't see him, but I soon forgave him and turned him around again 

I was at that game at Wolves where he missed both penalties....then the train broke down on the way home...great night.