A lifetime of experience says don't get giddy. But...

3 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

My giddyness levels are rapidly rising.

They shouldn't be I know. We've been through it all haven't we. Seens the ups. The many downs.

I shouldn't be giddy because one swallow doesn't make a summer etc etc.

And things have been so gloomy, no matter how much we try and positive slant it.

But I am giddy.

giphy.gif

Snootys Giddy-ometre

For though it's been a terrible 18 months. In the last fortnight -:

• Our caretaker manager has come in and used a common sense approach to getting the team which was sinking back on track using excellent man managment (The way he handled the Dawson situation - The way he eased Hutch back in etc) ,  some tactical nous (A solid back four and the same system used over multiple games - Players like to know what they are doing. They like to feel they know what's happening. They like simple instruction.)  to get us 8 points that , if we're honest, none of us was expecting. And it could have been 12 points!  . Points dropped some may cry. But  I'm not going to berate the lads for those points dropped, because though we deserved them there's always going to be the odd mistake from a side whose confidence has been battered all season. And lets be honest, all teams make mistakes, even the best ones. Man City have conceded some goals of late too!

• We're creating chances. Actually creating chances in and around the oppositions 18 yard box. It's excitment. Remember that?  Graham Taylor once said "People talk about sophisticated football. I don't like that phrase. You can call me route one or whatever you want, but I know this -The man on the terraces wants to get excited and he gets more excited when the ball is in the oppositions box" . And he's bang right. that Intervew is thirty odd years old. But it's still true today. Ok, he had his methods. Just as Ron had his. But the end result is the same thing. Getting people on the edge of their seat. Making the goalkeeper work. Who was man of the match on Saturday. Boyd? Hector? I think if you talk about both teams there's a reasonable shout to say Camp was the man of the match.

• Putting crosses in. Yes. I'm old fashioned. I like crosses. A great cross is an art form in my eyes. There was a time I did wonder if it might die from the game as possesion obsession wracked the footballing world. But I love to see crosses. Whipped crosses, inswingers outswingers, crosses to the man and crosses to the space for the man to attack. I'd rather see a back post diving header nestle into the back of the net than get my hampton away.

• Attacking the opposition by getting in behind. Lovely football is smashing. Pass, pass. Nice, nice. But I love seeing the ball into space. I'm not on about route one, but people making darts in behind the back four without the ball and trusting a team mate to find them, rather than all this 'showing for feet' thing which seems to be so much the rage these days. Boyd and Matias were really stretching the defence the other day by making runs without the ball. I love that. Maybe I'm old fashioned. But when you see someone dart out of the corner of your eye and then you see someone like Bannan shape up to ping it and try and find him doesn't it make you hold your breath? Doesn't the world momnetarily seem silent as you watch that ball travel knowing it has to have the right height, the right dip, the right speed, does it need to roll when it lands for them to get after or does it need back spin so it doesn't run away from them. It's an art. It's beautfiul. It's as beautiful as seeing 57 passes and a tap in. It is in my eyes anyway.

• We're looking a lot sharper as a defensive unit moving up and down the pitch together and narrowing spaces. "playing in tandem" as Big Ron used to call it. Full backs doing the old school rope routine. One run and one tucks. And when they both go. Hutch or Joey drops. Simple. Effective football.  Centre halves , one heads one sweeps. Simple stuff.  

• We've reduced the number of shots our goalkeepers are having to deal with nearly 50% compared to the rest of the games we've played this season. As Brian Laws said "If you give people the freedom of the pitch to take pot shots sooner or later they'll get lucky." We've cut that down massivly. He's not well liked in these parts for obvious reasons but George Graham once said the "biggest crime in football is your goalkeeper having to make a save". Ok, he took it too extremes! But again the point is valid. You do your job right as a unit and your keeper will have a quiet time of it.

• The chairman has gone out and approached a manager with a proven track record of promotion from this division and who comes with a glowing reference from our own Chris Kirkland as "the best manager I've ever played for" A manager who knows the division. Know the opposition teams and manager, what they do and don't do. One who knows which grounds are the tough ones to visit. One who knows and understands a Northern fan base. Understands the unique balance needed in a winning dressing room".

Yes. Perhaps I should know better. Perhaps I am feeling odd or had a Quality Street overdose playing havoc with my thoughts.

But I'm giddy about things.

And football should make you giddy ,shouldn't it?

I was giddy after years of gloom when Megson said Wednesday chose you and told players they weren't doing us a favour but that they were lucky to come here.

I was giddy the first time I walked up those steps and saw that pitch all lit up under the floodlights.

I like feeling giddy again.

To summarise, your old fashioned:stuwinky:

but so am i

7 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

I was giddy after years of gloom when Megson said Wednesday chose you and told players they weren't doing us a favour but that they were lucky to come here

garymegsonthe sweet, sweet warmth of ginger light!

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Ever the pessimist said:

It’s the hope that kills you. Be careful Milord.

I know, I know. Giddyness is a fools folly. Esepcially following this club.

But I just have a feeling inside that there is going to be a lot more of this over the coming months!

image.png.49b67d697402120e9d3e553db571c8ec.png

image.png.1fd6bddaad71c52262f29a1ef0ad1460.png

image.png.660543d9e49483ebe0cc2123b2edd2cc.png

image.png.5952bdab748a8af904e3702570463ca2.png

• Like 2

Agree with the achievements of the last fortnight. Still think our best players are not quite the outstanding players we think they are in this league. Great achievements esp by LB , as listed above.

He has changed the team by leaving out players rarely left out before, obviously midfield, and the energy levels have soared.

However, the FF situation is very troubling and nothing can be done about it now. Wonder what did go on at Mansfield, and how the Mansfield players seem to come out of it so much better than FF. Relations between the two clubs must have been allowed to go off--did the club try to resolve it after the match? - unless FF behaved  disgracefully but nothing could be done as  he denied an offence. He is innocent until proved otherwise but it is very troubling.

Just now, victorturner said:

Agree with the achievements of the last fortnight. Still think our best players are not quite the outstanding players we think they are in this league. Great achievements esp by LB , as listed above.

He has changed the team by leaving out players rarely left out before, obviously midfield, and the energy levels have soared.

However, the FF situation is very troubling and nothing can be done about it now. Wonder what did go on at Mansfield, and how the Mansfield players seem to come out of it so much better than FF. Relations between the two clubs must have been allowed to go off--did the club try to resolve it after the match? - unless FF behaved  disgracefully but nothing could be done as  he denied an offence. He is innocent until proved otherwise but it is very troubling.

I'm concentrating on the positives. We're playing well and we still have Fernando to come back into the match day squad.

What a great position to be in!

17 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

I know, I know. Giddyness is a fools folly. Esepcially following this club.

But I just have a feeling inside that there is going to be a lot more of this over the coming months!

image.png.49b67d697402120e9d3e553db571c8ec.png

image.png.1fd6bddaad71c52262f29a1ef0ad1460.png

image.png.660543d9e49483ebe0cc2123b2edd2cc.png

image.png.5952bdab748a8af904e3702570463ca2.png

I'm seeing loads of greasy hair in those pics. Eurgh!

I'm carefully positive this time. I've followed the club for 25 years or so and there's not been that many fancy moments there apart from some very bright (pun intended) flashes. Anything positive related to the Owls must be taken with a grain of salt, but that's just what it is to be a Wednesdayite. I'd rather be like this than support any of those fancy clubs that are now in fashion because the money is there. Just look at what Man C or Chelsea were back in the early 90s.

Edited by FinnishOwl

The difference now is that i am absolutely willing to give DC and Bruce time, because i believe the former has began to listen and learn from his mistakes, whilst the latter brings to the club a lot of what has been missing since DC took charge, a real football man who knows how clubs should be run. 

I knew of Jos and his ways from friends who support his previous clubs, he was never a good fit for us, in fact anyone in this league, which is why i was so vocal against him, even from early on. 

Bruce has been at clubs pushing for promotion, he's not always been successful but he's definitely going to have a plan and make us competitive. I also think his teams play the type of football i like to see, much of which is listed in the OP. I want us to be competitive on the pitch and the club to be well run. I think we're now on the right tracks for that. 

I think you're right to be at least a little giddy.

Things are looking up and I'm amazed we managed to attract someone like Bruce at the moment which says to me he must have done his home work and see's the potential are have even with the current squad.

I was seriously thinking about not renewing for next season (I miss quite a few anyway), but I am back on board and am like you, a little giddy.

I totally get the excitement, Bruce is proven and before his appointment i thought it was nonsense that we had a chance to get him. But here we are. Well done the club for convincing him to come. Now use this season to judge the squad, summer to make all the changes and then next year could be very interesting. If in 1-2 years this forum is full of abuse for Bruce and he is sacked, although Bruce isn't perfect, it will raise big issues about how our club is run.