A little persective on the Derby match.

Guest Jack the Hat

2 minutes ago, CF83OWL said:

So if they were poor, what were we then? 

Have you seen the league table recently? 

We were f-----g shyte mate,makes their attempts to  beat us all the more humerous,now how many attempts at goal was it ?

Other than the shot that was saved and the pen that was saved.

Edited by DELUDED OWL

19 minutes ago, Finney on the Wing said:

You don't plan just to survive, we'd have lost if that was the case.

Restricting them to long range efforts shows how organised and well we did defend.

Our big problem is ball retention and the lack of an incisive pass - get it right and you can open teams up.

You wont get ball retention playing 6 defenders and 1 isolated forward. We just hoofed it up field and it kept coming back. If that was the plan then we really are in the mire.

23 minutes ago, Jack the Hat said:

I can see why you say that but its not hindsight, its my view of the game after a couple of days reflection. I really think they run out of ideas in the second half. Good teams can break teams down, whereas they only had two notable chances in the entire game and they weren't really good chances.. That is actually fact - not opinion. They are not the Barcelona of the Championship - that is for sure.

That would do as a dictionary definition of hindsight.lol

• Haha 3

50 minutes ago, davey_wells said:

In fairness Utd were anything but slow and predictable.

I think Utd were predictable, they went wide a lot and put poor balls into the box which we dealt with. Utd look good on the eye but lacked a killer instinct on Friday night which is why I think they’ll fade again this season.

Us? Think we’re gonna be up and down all season. I like the fact that we’re playing youngsters but we’re sorely missing the proven championship quality of ff, hooper, lee, winnal, (Wallace).

Edited by 109Waddle

Just now, ZicoSterland2 said:

You wont get ball retention playing 6 defenders and 1 isolated forward. We just hoofed it up field and it kept coming back. If that was the plan then we really are in the mire.

This is where i'm gettin a little frustrated with some bods on here,the plan or lack of,depending on which way you're thinking,was to go to the lane and not lose,thats how i saw it anyway,as it transpires that seemed to be the concensus,an almost "job " saving don't lose,thats not to say that,that is how it will be going into the nest game(s),we are what we are,we are where we are.

We went into this game void of confidence, and conceding 12 goals in our previous 4 games, add to that not a clean sheet all season. We played away against a team in the top 2 who generally play decent football and score goals. Was it pretty? No! Did we do what we had to? Absolutely. I was disappointed we didn't have a go in the last 20 mins, however, we would have been very naive to try and take the game to them after recent results. It was a decent away point and for me we have to now build on the clean sheet and keep this defence together. 

If United were all that they'd have found a way. They won't finish in the top 6, they haven't got the squad or the minerals. UTO.

Edited by Maltby owl83

We defended well but we were terrible in possession and we were lucky to get a point. It was a really hard watch!

I think they are a decent side. I’m impressed with their 3 centre halves in that they are all comfortable in possession and Basham and McConnell are more than happy to bring the ball out of defence and join the attacks including overlapping the wing backs. Fleck is a very good player in the middle of the park. Their forwards are bang average though.

We need a new manager - a decent one would get more of a tune out of this lot.

Edited by Bouncing Owl

2 minutes ago, Maltby owl83 said:

We went into this game void of confidence, and conceding 12 goals in our previous 4 games, add to that not a clean sheet all season. We played away against a team in the top 2 who generally play decent football and score goals. Was it pretty? No! Did we do what we had to? Absolutely. I was disappointed we didn't have a go in the last 20 mins, however, we would have been very naive to try and take tge game to them after recebt results. It was a decent away point and for me we have to now build on the clean sheet and keep this defence together. 

If United were all that they'd have found a way. They won't finish in the top 6, they haven't got the squad or the minerals. UTO.

Spot on!

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Bouncing Owl said:

We defended well but we were terrible in possession and we were lucky to get a point. It was a really hard watch!

I think they are a decent side. I’m impressed with their 3 centre halves in that they are all comfortable in possession and Basham and McConnell are more than happy to bring the ball out of defence and join the attacks including overlapping the wing backs. Fleck is a very good player in the middle of the park. Their forwards are bang average though.

We need a new manager - a decent one would get more of a tune out of this lot.

Again,here we go with the "lucky to get a point",wtf ?

1 minute ago, DELUDED OWL said:

We were. We had 25% possession and we couldn’t string 3 or 4 passes together. We blocked their crosses and put our bodies in the way and overall we defended well for the first time this season. But that was it. 

54 minutes ago, ZicoSterland2 said:

United played us of the park . Desperate defending and a fair bit of luck kept us in it. As for the plan to catch them on the break dont make me laugh. Fletcher up front on his own , no disrespect to him but he was probably the slowest player on the pitch. The only plan was to survive and we did that and very little else.

A little bit of an exaggeration but you’re right we weren’t good 

C’mon lads

It was a 0-0 massacre.

As a mate opined at half time: “I’d be watching from behind the sofa if this pub had one”

The fact we played better there last year with 10 men must demonstrate to anyone not blind that Wilder has taken them forward while Jos has taken us backwards.  They continue to recruit excellently for this level (Norwood - Egan etc) while Jos has decruited Jones Boyd Westwood etc to make some inner disciplinary or ageist point.

4 minutes ago, DELUDED OWL said:

Like you said earlier, the shot from fleck, from distance, the pen and the half chance header from sharp, thats the only time the came close to scoring. Games arent won on possession stats ffs.

Just now, Bouncing Owl said:

We were. We had 25% possession and we couldn’t string 3 or 4 passes together. We blocked their crosses and put our bodies in the way and overall we defended well for the first time this season. But that was it. 

Our posession isn't the point,their's is,what clear cut,heart in mouth,how the hell did we get away with that one,chances did they create,their best was given to em,and still ballsed it up,now how is that luck ?

5 minutes ago, Bouncing Owl said:

A lot of my best mates are Unitedites.

Not one of them has said we were lucky or they were unlucky, not one.

They are extremely biased towards their club to the point of delusion but not a single one of them has used either of those two words since Friday night.

Lots and lots of other stuff about our performance, the way we played versus their approach etc but not a single one of them has said we were lucky.

Edited by sonofbert2

27 minutes ago, Kevan said:

I thought we defended well as a team but at times it looked a little desperate.  There were a lot of crosses and shots blocked, which on another day could easily have deflected into the net.  We were never really any threat going forward and the times we were in their penalty area could be counted on the fingers of one hand.

Looking forward, if we could rely on Joao to be a consistent threat, we would have an "out" ball when counter attacking.  Unfortunately, whilst on occasions he looks sharp and quick, on other occasions he looks disinterested.  That's a big job for Jos to get him firing on all cylinders on a regular basis.  At times his first touch is appalling too and that needs further work.  Other than that, we can but hope for the likes of Hooper and Lee to be fit soon and possibly hope that Matias will stay fit and become the player he has potential to be.

Agree with this. With Matias or Nando fit we have the players who can counter, which showed when Matias came on.  João when firing can be unplayable but he’s more often anonymous. With the players we had available the tactics were probably about right.  Hopefully a different story at our place. 

Guest Jack the Hat
18 minutes ago, prowl said:

That would do as a dictionary definition of hindsight.lol

No there's a subtle difference. Hindsight suggests my overall view has been shaped by an understanding after the event. Whereas I was just reflecting on what happened. A small nuance not articulated that well, but they are not the same.

9 minutes ago, Rogerwyldesmullet said:

C’mon lads

It was a 0-0 massacre.

As a mate opined at half time: “I’d be watching from behind the sofa if this pub had one”

The fact we played better there last year with 10 men must demonstrate to anyone not blind that Wilder has taken them forward while Jos has taken us backwards.  They continue to recruit excellently for this level (Norwood - Egan etc) while Jos has decruited Jones Boyd Westwood etc to make some inner disciplinary or ageist point.

I'm sure Jos wouldn't have minded the opportunity to sign players like Egan and Norwood since last years meeting.

Guest Jack the Hat
6 minutes ago, sonofbert2 said:

A lot of my best mates are Unitedites.

Not one of them has said we were lucky or they were unlucky, not one.

They are extremely biased towards their club to the point of delusion but not a single one of them has used either of those two words since Friday night.

Lots and lots of other stuff about our performance, the way we played versus their approach etc but not a single one of them has said we were lucky.

You need new friends.