A little persective on the Derby match.

Guest Jack the Hat

41 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Excellent last ditch defending and a modicum of luck, saw us take a point You get these type of results sometimes in derby matches, they are no measure

It shows what a team can do when they act as a collective...a thing that's been lacking lately.

Jos needs to marry this to the talent he's got available..and sharpish.

Although we were very negative and set up not to get beat hence Fletcher on halfway line most of the game, I think had Jos did the opposite and kept the defence as leaky as it has been he would no longer be in charge and we would be looking at losing by a good margin. Whether we like him or not, Jos has his job in mind with his tactics and in fairness the players put their bodies on the line for home and each other. What the result does tell us is that with the 11 that he is picking there is a lot of team spirit left even if we will undoubtably fall well short this season.

We were poor no denying it, the disappointment for me is that if lees, hector and Thornley  played together as a unit more I think the over cautious approach could have been avoided. Also the way we set up so defensive made it hard to change without leaving us open. As for United they because very predictable, yes they played well but wilderbeast did nothing to change it. A few hefty challenges and bit of needle i think we may have crumbled.  

I must be missing something here.

In the game I watched, we got a lucky 0-0 draw because the opposition missed a penalty.

I can't understand why some of our fans have creamed their pants in excitement over a game where we drew 0-0, hardly had a kick of the ball, and had 1 shot on target.

If people find that encouraging, it goes to show how poor we are at the moment.

Think anyone who expected more from us is deluding themselves tbh.

We set up to defend and did so manfully.

People can blabber on about stats, completed passes etc., but they lacked the quality to fashion any real clear cut chances.

But yes, there's much to for us to work on and it's concerning that we've made little progression since Jos took over. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, mcowl said:

In the game I watched, we got a lucky 0-0 draw because the opposition missed a penalty.

I can't understand why some of our fans have creamed their pants in excitement over a game where we drew 0-0, hardly had a kick of the ball, and had 1 shot on target.

I've not seen anything of this creaming you talk of 

4 minutes ago, mcowl said:

Some of our fans are just happy with next to nothing. You’re like me - you expect and want much better. 

Our central defence and keeper played very well, I think it helped that the defence were forced to play very deep with little space between the back line and Dawson this meant United couldn't get in behind the defence.

The midfield and attack did a good job defensively but offered no attacking threat.

This was fine for me for this one off game, but is not a template to move forward with.

7 minutes ago, Avon barksdale said:

We were poor no denying it, the disappointment for me is that if lees, hector and Thornley  played together as a unit more I think the over cautious approach could have been avoided. Also the way we set up so defensive made it hard to change without leaving us open. As for United they because very predictable, yes they played well but wilderbeast did nothing to change it. A few hefty challenges and bit of needle i think we may have crumbled.  

I would agree.

In fact if they'd brought that lummox Clarke on earlier I think they would have won.

We looked shît scared of him.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Bouncing Owl said:

Some of our fans are just happy with next to nothing. You’re like me - you expect and want much better. 

And some of us (you) just make stuff up.

Love to see all these examples of people creaming themselves over Fridays performance. 

As for you expecting and wanting much better...

Well you're expectations right now are not based in reality and we all want better, you wazzock. 

• Like 2

Not many teams will go to lane and get a result never mind a clean sheet 

Villa lost 4-1 there and top of league Norwich also lost 

If we went out all guns blazing we would have got hammered,you ain't gonna score 3/4 goals with reach,fletcher,Joao and nuhiu your attacking options

Was anybody expecting a comfortable win on Friday..?

Just take it on the flipping chin and move on..

We came out pretty much unscathed when a mauling was defiantly on the cards.  The timing of the game was horrendous for us

Yes it was sht but is it really that hard to think in context.

There PLENTY of time to moan/btch/look for reasons and attack the regime if you want.

But I was very relieved as it was the best chance they'll ever have to avenge boxing day

That glass will never be even half full for some people

Edited by HIGHERSTATE

I watched the match in the pub and all my mates said they'd have taken a draw before the game kicked off

After the final whistle most of them were annoyed because we'd not taken the game to the pigs

Wilder was gutted after that game and that makes me very happy

At least we had something to cheer about with Dawson's penalty save

The snortbeasts had nothing to shout about

We all expected to get battered and we didn't. Teams that go to that hole and try to play football usually end up getting stuffed so I'm glad we did what we did. It wasn't pretty and it wasn't fun but losing 4 nowt and trying to look good would have been less fun. For all their possession they scored nowt. They got 1 point the same as us. The history books will say nil nil draw cos thats all that counts or matters. I'm not happy we didn't win but I'm not depressed that we drew. I was expecting a mauling. We didn't get one and I'm relieved. You all need to stop worrying so much about what your pig mates say or think. 

• Thanks 1

They had 75% posession, "what did they do with said possession" & They played us off the park", The park they played us off was the first 2 thirds.

The Blunts I've spoken too was more embarrassed that they are the only team not to score against us, this for me smacks of arrogance, not over confidence but arrogance.

We consisted of 4 U23s & Fox (not a dig at these by the way) but No Westwood, No Pudil, No Hutchinson, No Forestieri, No Lee, No Winnall, No Hooper No Abdi & Mathias only fit enough for the bench.

This is a wealth of quality and experience that NO team can afford to lose, as the blunts showed last season they lost 1 player in Courts and they fell apart and they have the cheek to pull apart our performance.

That's 9 players missing from our 1st eleven /squad.

Yes I will take it as a win (for the 2nd successive season) playing them with let's be honest is not even our 2nd side.

How on earth are we going to go into a derby with a decimated team and attack a team that's full of confidence.

I'll tell you what Mr Wilder I know who's dressing room I'd rather be in if ever we are to have a fully fit available squad.

Please don't take this as a dig at the players mentioned but I would love to have the quality and experienced players available.