A little persective on the Derby match.

Guest Jack the Hat

Guest Jack the Hat

Our tactics were to cede possession to them in the non-dangerous areas of the pitch and catch them on the break. A regulation tactic for an out of form team visiting a top 2 team. Chances: First half –Duffy forced a good – but regulation – save from Dawson. Their only chance from open play. Fox missed an open net which I would have scored – bounce or no bounce. They were given a dodgy penalty – but we should also have had one. Second half Billy Sharp missed an header at the end. We created nothing but had a bit of pressure. So, united 2 OK chances from open play and Wednesday one good one. Have I missed any?

I don’t understand why United are getting so many plaudits as they are predictable. They remind me of Carlos’s team towards the end when teams let us have possession as we were slow and predictable. Good teams can break with pace and break down defensive teams. United do neither. Oh – and they are poor up front – really poor. I wasn’t embarrassed, I thought it was an easy night in the end. If it wasn't United people would say a good, well battled, away point.

We are behind them at the minute, but form changes quickly. We having nothing to fear at Hillsborough and i'm looking forward to bouncing around when we beat them.

Guest Jack the Hat
4 minutes ago, doubleo said:

United did the best they could - and it wasn't good enough.  We can do alot better.

Exactly! Don't think they have injuries to any key players. We have one or two. 

United played us of the park . Desperate defending and a fair bit of luck kept us in it. As for the plan to catch them on the break dont make me laugh. Fletcher up front on his own , no disrespect to him but he was probably the slowest player on the pitch. The only plan was to survive and we did that and very little else.

4 minutes ago, ZicoSterland2 said:

United played us of the park . Desperate defending and a fair bit of luck kept us in it. As for the plan to catch them on the break dont make me laugh. Fletcher up front on his own , no disrespect to him but he was probably the slowest player on the pitch. The only plan was to survive and we did that and very little else.

That slow he left 3 of their defenders trailing in his wake.  If he'd have squared the ball to Reach, we'd probably be celebrating a win.

United were very predictable and had run out of ideas by half time. 

1 minute ago, Sham67 said:

That slow he left 3 of their defenders trailing in his wake.  If he'd have squared the ball to Reach, we'd probably be celebrating a win.

United were very predictable and had run out of ideas by half time. 

United arent world beaters but Jos set us up like they were. If you think 2 shots all night is good I dont. Now if he had played with Jao or Mattias off Fletcher then maybe I could swallow we had a plan to counter them on the break. 

We were under the cosh for long periods to a team that was beatable if we had shown any ambition.

Guest Jack the Hat
15 minutes ago, Ridgeback owl said:

I think it's a hindsight view after getting away with it IMO !!... I hate the pigs with a passion but if you're not careful you'll end up sounding like Wilder in reverse !!!

I can see why you say that but its not hindsight, its my view of the game after a couple of days reflection. I really think they run out of ideas in the second half. Good teams can break teams down, whereas they only had two notable chances in the entire game and they weren't really good chances.. That is actually fact - not opinion. They are not the Barcelona of the Championship - that is for sure.

13 minutes ago, ZicoSterland2 said:

You don't plan just to survive, we'd have lost if that was the case.

Restricting them to long range efforts shows how organised and well we did defend.

Our big problem is ball retention and the lack of an incisive pass - get it right and you can open teams up.

8 minutes ago, ZicoSterland2 said:

Seemed to me all the luck went their way; certainly they were lucky to get a dubious penalty.

If the Blunts were so amazing and we were so dismal how come it ended in a draw? How come apart from the penalty Dawson had to make only one other significant save from the Porcine Galacticos?

I thought we defended well as a team but at times it looked a little desperate.  There were a lot of crosses and shots blocked, which on another day could easily have deflected into the net.  We were never really any threat going forward and the times we were in their penalty area could be counted on the fingers of one hand.

Looking forward, if we could rely on Joao to be a consistent threat, we would have an "out" ball when counter attacking.  Unfortunately, whilst on occasions he looks sharp and quick, on other occasions he looks disinterested.  That's a big job for Jos to get him firing on all cylinders on a regular basis.  At times his first touch is appalling too and that needs further work.  Other than that, we can but hope for the likes of Hooper and Lee to be fit soon and possibly hope that Matias will stay fit and become the player he has potential to be.