A little persective on the Derby match.

Guest Jack the Hat

2 hours ago, sonofbert2 said:

Worst thing is that most of the folk banging on and threatening not renewing their season tickets will be on here when they haven't saying "that's why I didn't renew my season ticket."

It's getting like the Marks and Spencers thread on fuckingMumsnet on here lately.

:carlosswfc:

• Haha 1

We went to not lose the game and we did just that, in spite of Diving Duffy's best efforts. Of course they were all over us for most of the game, that's what happens when you go to defend. It wasn't pretty but we got a result, it's about time some people started to give us a little bit of credit 

Edited by pgmetcalf

13 hours ago, CF83OWL said:

Give over mate....

They slaughtered us...

75% possession with 19 attempts at goal....

75% with almost zero threat minus the alleged pen - fortunately that stat mean SFA when it comes to the point of football ie to score goals  which if fox had gone in with conviction we could have done 

8 hours ago, DJMortimer said:

Oh do grow up.

Sick of seeing this kind of post - "I'm a better fan than you because I beat my chest, shout and complain a lot". We're a mid-table side with a lot of injury prone, inexperienced and mediocre players and no funds to do anything about it. But you keep on dreaming that we should be ripping up the league if it makes you feel better.

But were not mid table at the moment are we. We are 4 points of the relegation places with the worst form in the league over the last 5 games. With the squad we have injuries or not we should be higher than that. Expectations arent play offs but they are to be comfortably placed. 

2 minutes ago, ZicoSterland2 said:

But were not mid table at the moment are we. We are 4 points of the relegation places with the worst form in the league over the last 5 games. With the squad we have injuries or not we should be higher than that. Expectations arent play offs but they are to be comfortably placed. 

I wish we could play ourselves. We are great at ending teams bad runs.

3 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

Their centre halves pushed into midfield which was what made them difficult to deal with. But over the course they don’t have the firepower of the top sides competing for automatic 

They will remedy that in January The way they use their centre backs is pretty unique, I’ve never seen it before A great piece of innovation from Wilder Remember, these are fairly average players we are talking about here, imagine what he could do with a better quality of player Wish we could see some innovation from our own coach

• Like 1

The OP is bang on. 

I thought we were extremely comfortable. I didn't watch the game back until the following morning, so I already knew the result, which I accept takes the emotion out of watching the game, but, penalty aside, United didn't look like scoring...at all. And that deserves a lot of credit that I don't think we got from Sky at the time nor from our own fans. 

We did not get slaughtered. We did not get hammered. 

Yes, we ceded possession. But United dominate possession in the majority of their games. They suffocate teams, that's their strength. But if you set up, accepting you're not going to dominate possession, you can defend against it. 

The longer the game went on, the more blunt and toothless United looked. In fact, in the last 15 minutes, especially after Matias came on, I thought we were the team who got ourselves into better transition phases, and with a bit more quality at the right times, could have created chances ourselves. 

The fact is, the penalty was the key moment. That goes in, we aren't having this conversation now. But it didn't. And after that moment, Dawson didn't have another save to make from a shot inside the box. That stat doesn't suggest any side slaughtered or dominated the other. 

Statistically, discounting penalties which skew stats somewhat, it was our most comfortable defensive performance of the season. But statistics aside, actually watching the game back without the emotion of the live game, we were very organised and totally nullified United's tempo and style of play which cause so many team problems. 

Give the lads credit when it's deserved. 

Their movement is great and short quick passing is very good. They lack a bit of quality in the final third though.

I think a lot of people miss the context of the game. It was very much the same as Jos' first game.

It was "Stop the rot!" This time arguably Jos' own rot, but it was a case of Don't get thrashed, don't get beaten, win if you can and play with guts and pride. Do this and there is a starting point for getting back on track.

At any time going away to a top 2-3 side  and getting a draw is fine especially if you are out of form, low on confidence and fragile.

We won't need to be this defensive against most other teams. It is another starting point as the last game at the lane was. Build from here.

UTO

1 hour ago, gurujuan said:

They will remedy that in January The way they use their centre backs is pretty unique, I’ve never seen it before A great piece of innovation from Wilder Remember, these are fairly average players we are talking about here, imagine what he could do with a better quality of player Wish we could see some innovation from our own coach

They should do, but I don’t think they will spend the money 

There are two distinct camps on Owlstalk at the moment ...............those who are really unhappy and want a managerial change,  and those who agree with the freezing out of players and believe we should stick with JL and this thread is indicative of that , but some of the point scoring and sarcasm is getting a bit silly (WAWAW ?)

FWIW i am in the former camp but ultimately just want whats best for Wednesday , but it looks like the JL backers are going to get their wish for the forseeable future so i hope to god that you lads have got it right and we have got it wrong.

2 hours ago, Bluesteel said:

Their centre halves pushed into midfield which was what made them difficult to deal with. But over the course they don’t have the firepower of the top sides competing for automatic 

Well sat back and defended and except for the occasional venture into their half, we were happy to let them have the run of the game. We went for a point and got it. People should give us some credit for going to a rubbish place in rubbish conditions, at a rubbish time and still getting a result. You have to ask why anyone would say anything else.

It was great going into work this morning and seeing all the blunts cry into the mug of tea and mumbling something about us going down. Satisfaction guaranteed 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, sheriwozgod said:

There are two distinct camps on Owlstalk at the moment ...............those who are really unhappy and want a managerial change,  and those who agree with the freezing out of players and believe we should stick with JL and this thread is indicative of that , but some of the point scoring and sarcasm is getting a bit silly (WAWAW ?)

FWIW i am in the former camp but ultimately just want whats best for Wednesday , but it looks like the JL backers are going to get their wish for the forseeable future so i hope to god that you lads have got it right and we have got it wrong.

Shouldn't be the case in this thread though should it?

Can't fans, regardless of your dislike for our manager, look at a game objectively and give credit where it's due?

I find the faux outrage regarding Friday's match nauseating. To the extent where they'll bombard United with undeserved superlatives for, which was, a fairly flat, mundane display from them. Very odd, but not surprising. 

The biggest problem for me with those who are saying 'how well we did' last Friday night and 'what do we expect in the club's situation' is that we should have higher expectations for our club and also have higher expectations of our manager.  To go into a game and not have a bit of a go at winning is really poor in my book.  If people are honest, and all things were equal would you really choose Jos to take the club forward?  I wouldn't.  Last Friday reminded me of Graeme Taylor being in charge of England all those years ago.  You're heart didn't want England to lose, but you just knew that he wasn't the right man for the job and it was a double edged sword when England didn't reach the world cup. 

I feel the same about Jos.  Apart from making us a tight unit, he hasn't got a plan.  He doesn't connect with the fans either.  The little run we put together to get us into the play-off places gave a false view of the team and it was hardly scintilating football - in many ways it was a lot of dross with a few blinding longe rangers from Reach.  I understand about FFP and all the clubs issues, but for gods sake!

If it was a manager trying to play in the right way, having a go, I think there would be a lot more forgiving people on here.

Objectively - yeah, well done we got a point.  Players like Cameron, Penny, Reach, Bannan, Fletcher deserve credit. 

Realistically - In their heart of hearts people know it wasn't good enough.  1 shot on target (well kind of).  They weren't world beaters, and we made them look good - and that is the point.  Expect more people, and push the club forward, not stick with what we've got, because it was better rubbish than the rubbish served up in the previous game.

Did we play Barcelona on Friday?

That's what it sounds like listening to some of you lot and the Sky "pundits". 

United played well. Played some nice football in fact. They threw the kitchen sink at us. But make no bones about it, we let them do that - we sat back and soaked it all up. Yes, our defending on a couple of occasions was desperate but the majority of the game they could only muster up long shots and some half chances in the goal area. They managed to get in behind once, and that lead to a very dubious penalty. 

We setup not to lose, as simple as that. We went there and did a job, and in fairness we needed to do that to stop the horrific run we've been on. It's just so happens we did it against United, which is a good job because has we played anything like the previous 4 games they would have murdered us. 

They chucked everything at us, they were at their very best but couldn't beat a fragile Wednesday team who were coming off the back of 4 defeats.  This was their best opportunity to give us a good hiding, and further progress their season. But they failed, and they failed in January as well under similar circumstances. Wilder failed. And he knows it.

For Wednesday though, we can do better. We do have it in us to take the game to teams - that's the frustrating thing for me.

Edited by bigdan2003