Can Anyone think of Any?

10 minutes ago, TheEnchanter said:

To be honest it's quite often the case that players arrive here with a good reputation and completely fail to live up to it. 

Although that is largely down to people reading their Wikipedia profiles and being astonished at how many times said player has scored for Nando's cheeky boys.

lol

Edited by The Dukeries Owl
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, poite said:

Our treatment of Dawson is a disgrace. Give over.

Nobody is booing Dawson or giving him a hard time. The target of the booing is at Jos and the demand that we have our best keeper in net. 

I know it's probably hard for Dawson but he simply has to realise that it's not directed at him. 

Sorry pal but what a load of tosh. Try telling that to Dawson. Theres only you on here what Ive seen or read as come with that one. Not on North Stand by any chance are you.

Guest addedtime
28 minutes ago, torres said:

Getting another club is some way off from excelling once they left us though.

There hasn't been anyone who has been anyone who has played poorly constantly for us and gone on to excel  - yet that character from twitter seems to have lost count!

He probably can't count past 2.

45 minutes ago, bigrbuk said:

They don't, we kill careers...

This, mostly players massively regress under us.

Whether that’s down to quality of the coaching. Tactics. The fact that anyone half proven we sign is coming into the twilight of their career so it’s alresdy on the decline. Who knows.

Considering we will have have hundreds of players of the last couple of decades it is frightening how few have gone on to play consistently at a higher level or even been good solid championship regulars.

I’ve just quickly checked signings since our relegation from the premier league. These are the only ones I could find who played at a higher level consistently or even continued at championship level. We really have signed some utter garbage for 20 years.

Kuqi, Holt, Brunt, Whelan, Antonio, Grant, Madine, Maghoma, Morrison, Clarke.

Even looking at the list aboube there are mainly pretty bang average championship players. 

Our recruitment and our coaching has been up there with the worst in the country for far to long. There’s no evidence to show this is changing either except for the youth coaching.

• Like 1

I’ve excluded our own players from my previous post who have done ok like Wood, Spur, Beevers. Quinn, O’donnell who all went on to have on championship/league 1 careers. Missed out Bougherra from previous post.

So considering I’ve only found 15 players over 18 years and some of those are geneours. 

Pretty much everyone else who signs for us either retires or drops down the leagues.

I’d wager we will have seen 100-150 players easily come through durining that time. Call it 15 years and exclude the last few as players haven’t left. It’s basicslly 1 player in 10 has the ability to actually stay at this level. What the fu*k have we been doing!

If you don’t laugh you’d end up crying!

1 hour ago, poite said:

Our treatment of Dawson is a disgrace. Give over.

Nobody is booing Dawson or giving him a hard time. The target of the booing is at Jos and the demand that we have our best keeper in net. 

I know it's probably hard for Dawson but he simply has to realise that it's not directed at him. 

100% correct

3 hours ago, jonesy87shef said:

I’ve excluded our own players from my previous post who have done ok like Wood, Spur, Beevers. Quinn, O’donnell who all went on to have on championship/league 1 careers. Missed out Bougherra from previous post.

So considering I’ve only found 15 players over 18 years and some of those are geneours. 

Pretty much everyone else who signs for us either retires or drops down the leagues.

I’d wager we will have seen 100-150 players easily come through durining that time. Call it 15 years and exclude the last few as players haven’t left. It’s basicslly 1 player in 10 has the ability to actually stay at this level. What the fu*k have we been doing!

If you don’t laugh you’d end up crying!

Might be the same for a lot of clubs though to be fair.

Thing is Wednesday are a big club with big expectations. Sometimes players come here and aren't up for the challenge or struggle to deal with the expectation. Or we sign players who come here with good pedigree and fail to deliver. Aston Villa have seen similar in recent years. Of the top of my head they signed the likes of Hogan and McCormack for huge fees and they have struggled.

2 hours ago, full fathom five said:

Dan Petrescu, Lee Grant, Kenwyn Jones

4 minutes ago, Greengrass said:

Di Canio to West Ham ?

I see where you're coming from as these players achieved more or are remembered better by the football world for what they did after leaving - but the OP specifically said players who performed poorly at Wednesday which none of these did.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Might be the same for a lot of clubs though to be fair.

Thing is Wednesday are a big club with big expectations. Sometimes players come here and aren't up for the challenge or struggle to deal with the expectation. Or we sign players who come here with good pedigree and fail to deliver. Aston Villa have seen similar in recent years. Of the top of my head they signed the likes of Hogan and McCormack for huge fees and they have struggled.

I cant believe that for one minute that a lot of other clubs would be the same. Where would all the players be? Can’t all drop down the leagues. Lots of clubs sell on players and they go up a divion. Others sell players and they stay the same division. 

Like me I say ours pretty much all go down the leagues. That’s shocking and shows the level of player we’ve bought for 2 decades.

On ‎05‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 10:09, Lord Snooty said:

Be very interesting to see where many of our go in the summer when the contracts have run down.

I fear the clubs in the divisions that are interested in them won't be able to come anywhere near what we have thrown their way. 

Most will retire as no longer able to play.