So Jos has now nailed his colours to the mast.

39 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

I think we'll see Dawson shine more when some of the contracts run out in the summer and there isn't a shadow cast and something for him to be beaten with every game.

I think Hutchinson is a better player than Pelupessy overall.  I love his style. Drive. Passion.

But I can see why the manager picks Joey though ....

Hutchinson  2014-18                        Pelupessy  Jan- Nov 18

Apps    Yellow     Red                       Apps       Yellow       Red

92        41            5                            30            4              0

Always fit and available. 

Don't see how anyone's contract has anything to do with Dawson performance, I think he lack of ability to organise a defence does.

Think Hutch and Pelupessy should play together with Bannan further forward!

I think personally you play your best players when fit!

Hutch and Westwood are our best players!

5 minutes ago, jonnyowl said:

Don't see how anyone's contract has anything to do with Dawson performance, I think he lack of ability to organise a defence does.

I just think When the spectre of "KW would have caught that" has gone he'll relax more. 

Think Hutch and Pelupessy should play together with Bannan further forward!

That would work IMO

I think personally you play your best players when fit!

So does jos :ph34r:

Hutch and Westwood are our best players!

Not Fernando? Or Bannan?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NorthernOwl said:

Some of those players have hardly pulled up any trees and I understand wanting to bring youth through. But to put completely inexperienced youngsters who have barely, if ever, played a game of first team football on the bench ahead of such a wealth of experience is simply insane. 

IF we are to have a sale in the Christmas window and lose some of our 'better' players, then the rest of the season may well be a struggle. 

taking this into account wouldn't you want your 'better' players playing now to amass sufficient points as to act as a 'buffer' once the 'new year' reality dawns?

also whilst they put in effort hoping each to attract a good salary in their individual moves, and thus increasing the clubs sell on value.

What Jos is actually saying is that he is incapable of managing players like Hutch and Westwood so he has decided to jettison them.

We knew Westwood didn’t train every session under Carlos and he got away with things probably. I am not saying he should continue to get away with things.

What a proper manager would do is manage!!

Talk, sort something out so the club gets some value from the massive wages.

Simply stating  unless somebody trains every session they will not be selected is really nonsense.

Boyd and Jones are fit and should be at least on the bench. Personally I would select Jones for some games ahead of Joey.

At the moment we are running with about 3 viable subs each game and this is probably the reason he is so reluctant to make subs.

Edited by oldishowl

1 hour ago, Philb125 said:

Are we picking on reputation or current ability. If current ability it be Dawson - I have to believe trained professionals make better decisions than you or I. 

Now, if we’re picking on reputation I’d not pick Westwood either. I’d pick pressman. He’d save my life for sure. But that’s the thing, pressmans past it. So is Westwood. I loved them both dearly but they’re sadly not what they once were. 

IF you 'have to believe a trained professional'

was irvine correct in being negative as manager during our last fall from this division?, seeing as looking for home draws failed to save us, was the UN professional crowd wrong in calling for the side to attack the opposition?

I think if he’s telling the truth then it’s evident he can’t rely on the academy alone. It’s a long season and these players can get experience whilst still sharing a job with more senior players. Particularly the likes of Hutchinson who can play centre half and play from the back. 

Putting the future of the club ahead of himself is admirable but it’s arguable that is isn’t needed to this extent. I still think we want to force players out early 

3 minutes ago, dnhc said:

IF you 'have to believe a trained professional'

was irvine correct in being negative as manager during our last fall from this division?, seeing as looking for home draws failed to save us, was the UN professional crowd wrong in calling for the side to attack the opposition?

I stick by the experts rather than my memory or emotions. My life on the line after all. 

Would you choose differently? Especially if him getting injured cost you your life I’m sure your loved ones be curious why you didn’t take advice of medical professionals and trained experts rather than your own fond memories. 

Just now, Philb125 said:

I stick by the experts rather than my memory or emotions. My life on the line after all. 

Would you choose differently? Especially if him getting injured cost you your life I’m sure your loved ones be curious why you didn’t take advice of medical professionals and trained experts rather than your own fond memories. 

WHAT ON EARTH IS ALL THAT ABOUT? 

we're talking about the 'so called' judgements of a 'professional' football coach,and has he called any of it badly wrong, or actually hiding something?

not allowing a plumber to do your open heart surgery.

7 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

I think if he’s telling the truth then it’s evident he can’t rely on the academy alone. It’s a long season and these players can get experience whilst still sharing a job with more senior players. Particularly the likes of Hutchinson who can play centre half and play from the back. 

Putting the future of the club ahead of himself is admirable but it’s arguable that is isn’t needed to this extent. I still think we want to force players out early 

He is not putting the club ahead of himself if he gets us relegated .

Nor by asking the club to keep paying wages with no possibility of getting any value from them 

2 minutes ago, dnhc said:

WHAT ON EARTH IS ALL THAT ABOUT? 

we're talking about the 'so called' judgements of a 'professional' football coach,and has he called any of it badly wrong, or actually hiding something?

not allowing a plumber to do your open heart surgery.

I was asked who I’d choose if my life depended on it. I’d not choose Westwood. I don’t know if he can get through 90 mins of championship football, let alone play to the standards he was once able to. 

So i put it back to you. Would you bet your life on a known entity or a fond memory. 

4 hours ago, Thorpe Hesley OWL said:

Maybe not boyd...

boyds last game was about 3 weeks ago vs leeds a in u23 leeds had 4 players with 1st team experience playing ,boyd played very well scored a good goal and put a right shift in ,next game nowhere near the squad, I think jos will sooner pick from our u15s than turn to 4 experienced championship pro`s who would get into most sides in the championship. 

2 minutes ago, handworth52 said:

boyds last game was about 3 weeks ago vs leeds a in u23 leeds had 4 players with 1st team experience playing ,boyd played very well scored a good goal and put a right shift in ,next game nowhere near the squad, I think jos will sooner pick from our u15s than turn to 4 experienced championship pro`s who would get into most sides in the championship. 

If they’re that good do you think they’ll go in January or next summer? 

4 hours ago, sheffield_dave said:

Christ.. how much money is that there in transfer fee's and wages, that we can seemingly tell not to bother because we're good. Arguably the best keeper in the division and a defender/defensive midfielder with proven quality while we get to November without keeping a clean sheet.

Look, in a perfect world I can understand and to a degree respect Jos' stance on the goalkeepers. Westwood won't be with us forever (or even by June) and young goalkeepers need a chance at some point. But the team needs help. Is it even in Dawson's best interests to be playing right now? He's had games where he looks scared sh*tless. What about Baker, Thorniley and Penney who at any given time have and will form 3/4 or 3/5 of our defence? How much better would they be with someone like Westwood behind them and Hutchinson helping them out infront?

Hutchinson being frozen out I don't understand at all. We've known Hutch might only play 50% of the season through injury or suspension for the entire time he's been here, but he's routinely top tier for us when he does. We've chosen now, when we've got barely little else, to take some sort of weird stance over "reliability"?

Jos is either lying about these being football decisions, or he's naïve and delusional in thinking he'll still be around to see the benefit of these sort of "long game" decisions. We need our best XI on the field here and now and we're not getting it.

It's not rocket science is it? Why we make it as hard as possible for ourselves, I don't know.

Chairman expects promotion this season: Jos is building for the future, which seems to rule out promotion at the moment. Fair play To both if they believe the target can be achieved without the big names who are currently sidelined.

I like Jos and I'm not directing any criticism at him but...

We shall see.

I'm expecting mid table...

1 minute ago, Philb125 said:

I was asked who I’d choose if my life depended on it. I’d not choose Westwood. I don’t know if he can get through 90 mins of championship football, let alone play to the standards he was once able to. 

So i put it back to you. Would you bet your life on a known entity or a fond memory. 

the 'fond memory' is from 18 months ago, and may have passed his 'sell by date (we could find that out at Christmas), i personally think we'd be better finding that out on the field of play, to either assist the side by picking a better keeper, or cement dawson's claim to the shirt by proving him as the number one.

but the 'known' part of 'known entity' is he's not looking good enough, in a defence that isn't either.

do we have the worst defence in the championship?

how does our keeper compare with the rest of the divisions keepers?

and none of it is 'life and death' it's just football.

4 hours ago, TheEnchanter said:

Its quite clear promotion isnt the aim this season. Nor is reaching the play offs. Unless Chansiri is happy seeing first team players snubbed so 18 year olds can sit on the bench.

It’s about giving kids experience now in the hope that next season they will be capable and we can break even for ffp

or what ever it’s now called . Thus not being screw by EFL , cutting squad size , wage bill , average age, etc. Then hoping to add. Few loans. Think DC is trying to learn as he goes along, 

3 minutes ago, Treborowl said:

Chairman expects promotion this season: Jos is building for the future, which seems to rule out promotion at the moment. Fair play To both if they believe the target can be achieved without the big names who are currently sidelined.

I like Jos and I'm not directing any criticism at him but...

We shall see.

I'm expecting mid table...

I will be happy with mid table if it’s achieved with some stars and a few local lads

He's under orders from chairman whatever. 

JL doesn't pick the team. If he does then he's incompetent. The person who picks the team doesn't have a clue about football. That's the owner in a nutshell 

Theres no other team in all four leagues who pay over £10m a year for Premier league players not to play.

Wednesday are run by a ruthless dictator who has an agenda at Wednesday that has nothing to do with football.