Midfield

9 minutes ago, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

If Kieran Lee ever gets fit, he would be the first name on my team sheet

We'd all like to see it, but got to admit it's looking less and less likely.

Great player though he is/was, he hasn't played in far too long, if he's not back in the very early new year, we'd be crazy to offer him a new contract.

Shame, but think he'll be released in the summer. 

23 minutes ago, soldierboyblue said:

At right back would get in the team all day long there, but will not get in the team in midfield straight away as this goes against Jos’s policy.

I think a fit Kieron Lee would be very much a Jos type player, but like Leah said, he may never get fit enough

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

Guest LittleG

Still think our midfield is lacking. I was looking on a football stats site earlier and it states that our average shots per game is among the lowest in the division. Is that down to the midfield or is it the way we set up?

Onomah is starting to make a big difference to our midfield with his running, strength and ability on the ball. 

However we know Jos will rotate both players and formation so who knows what we will see.

Playing 5 at the back limits opportunities for some good players further forward 

I can only see a place for Hutch in the defence when Lees, Thorniley or Hector are missing.

He gets stuck in but is a bit of a walking red card or injury in midfield where I think we need some general stability.

We've already got enough strength to rotate in midfield IMO

When Hutch plays our midfield play even deeper than they do now. Bannan already comes too deep for the ball as it is, which makes our transition from defence to attack slower and harder than it should be. 

When Hutch plays Bannan has to come even deeper for the ball as Hutch basically plays as another central defender. As much as i like the guy, theres really no place for Hutchinson in our midfield anymore. 

As a Right sided CB id maybe say yes, but only because he can pass a ball and our other CBs really cant.

Edited by OwlinOldham

Interesting to see England go to 4 at the back and hear Southgate talking about why , as the same issues apply to us.

They did it to combat Croatia out wide having learned from the semi final but also because it allows the midfield to play further up the pitch.

433 allows the front three to press further up the pitch and therefore the midfield can also get further forward.

Playing 3 at the back turns you into a counter attacking team because the central midfield has to sit deep. 

To be fair to our neighbours they have cracked this by having a lot of runners in the team and playing in an aggressive, high tempo style.

We are still wrestling with the problem.

Edited by oldishowl

On 12/10/2018 at 07:37, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

If Kieran Lee ever gets fit, he would be the first name on my team sheet

That's the problem, he won't be. Its like saying if Chris Waddle was 30 years younger he would get into the team.  I think time as run out for poor Kieran

On ‎14‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 13:31, oldishowl said:

Interesting to see England go to 4 at the back and hear Southgate talking about why , as the same issues apply to us.

They did it to combat Croatia out wide having learned from the semi final but also because it allows the midfield to play further up the pitch.

433 allows the front three to press further up the pitch and therefore the midfield can also get further forward.

Playing 3 at the back turns you into a counter attacking team because the central midfield has to sit deep. 

To be fair to our neighbours they have cracked this by having a lot of runners in the team and playing in an aggressive, high tempo style.

We are still wrestling with the problem.

The key with three at the back is the centre of the back three being commanding (we seemed to have cracked this with Hector but I do worry about Lees at RCH) and the wing backs.

If you have good wing backs this system will work very well (look at Wolves last season and this).

Now obviously Wolves having quality up top helped them but so have we, if we have Baker at RWB and Penney left then a front three of Joao as the centeral striker and Fessi Matias or Reach at either side of him there is a lot of attackers there!