Why don't the bookies fancy our chances?

1 hour ago, Sergeant Tibbs said:

Overall we're not that attractive to watch. 

The public now have access to a lot of our performances and we were hanging on against Leeds & Brom. Pathetic second half against Forest and hardly convincing against Bristol. 

I'd love us to be anywhere near the top Six in March, but right now we're not promotion material. 

So how can you explain the 39 points from our last 22 games, which equates to 82 points over a full season? Or the fact we are Top 3 since the Brentford game? Luck??

Edited by Almat

2 hours ago, Almat said:

So how can you explain the 39 points from our last 22 games, which equates to 82 points over a full season? Or the fact we are Top 3 since the Brentford game? Luck??

Right - we haven’t played 22 games this season - ask reading last year how their stats looked after c 10 games if you want to include previous seasons.

we are doing very well and I’m chuffed to bits but the performances are up and down and watching us I don’t see a promotion team there to be honest.

would love to be proven wrong.

10 hours ago, sherlyegg said:

Err, one of our players is having a goal of the season contest on his own...

Besides which, brum and bristol etc are not exactly box office are they?

Err...

You've made my point for me. It doesn't matter whether the games are box office. It's about the audience, as it's the audience who bet. 

Reach has scored 2 great goals.

I think by his own admission, he's not Matt Le Tissier just yet. 

The thread is about why we are not fancied by the bookies. 

Edited by Sergeant Tibbs

12 hours ago, Sergeant Tibbs said:

Overall we're not that attractive to watch. 

The public now have access to a lot of our performances and we were hanging on against Leeds & Brom. Pathetic second half against Forest and hardly convincing against Bristol. 

I'd love us to be anywhere near the top Six in March, but right now we're not promotion material. 

39 points from the last 22 says we are.  Objective not subjective.

9 hours ago, ka58 said:

Right - we haven’t played 22 games this season - ask reading last year how their stats looked after c 10 games if you want to include previous seasons.

we are doing very well and I’m chuffed to bits but the performances are up and down and watching us I don’t see a promotion team there to be honest.

would love to be proven wrong.

I don't remember Reading  starting the 17/18 season well but maybe I'm wrong? And we are demonstrably improving if you look at the points accrued since the Brentford game (2 per game, which is automatics form). With big players still to come in and Hector and Onomah only going to get better...plus maybe more astute loans (Jos is scoring 100% success on loans at the moment) to arrive in January?

Edited by Almat

11 minutes ago, Sham67 said:

Promotion material.  No points have ever been awarded for style in Football.  Objective not subjective.

Go back to the thread mate. I'm offering an informed (brother runs his own internet tipping service for an online bookie and they are a profitable organisation) opinion. The thread is asking why we're not fancied by the bookies. 

I'll back it up, if we finish top 8 I'll give £20 to a charity of Owlstalk's choice.

I've already backed W Brom to go up and win the league. Unless Gayle gets injured I don't see any other outcome.

2 hours ago, Sergeant Tibbs said:

The thread is asking why we're not fancied by the bookies

Yep, and you said cos we are not attractive to watch...which ain't true comparatively with other teams who are fancied by the bookies....Borough for instance.

The real reason is, cos nobody has fancied us thus for and kept their money in their pockets. FA to do with unattractive football...that may change, but it is unlikely we will change style.

BTW, I worked for Betfair, William Hill, Ladbrokes, Sporting bet and many others, very profitable for a while...until google took a dislike to me. Point is that means FA

1 hour ago, sherlyegg said:

Yep, and you said cos we are not attractive to watch...which ain't true comparatively with other teams who are fancied by the bookies....Borough for instance.

The real reason is, cos nobody has fancied us thus for and kept their money in their pockets. FA to do with unattractive football...that may change, but it is unlikely we will change style.

BTW, I worked for Betfair, William Hill, Ladbrokes, Sporting bet and many others, very profitable for a while...until google took a dislike to me. Point is that means FA

"the real reason is, cos nobody has fancied us" - the debate is why.

You've argued my point by naming Borough, but that's not exactly gonna be on the news. Derby are below us and play more attractive football.

As for your career,  it sounds like you've not found the right employer yet, unless there's a common denominator.

I wonder sometimes if this type of question is a set up

I'll bite 

Before the season started I said we had more chance of going down than up.

The bookies didn't give us a chance of the play offs 

Did anyone seriously think before the season started that we had a any chance of getting promoted? 

I've seen nothing this season that suggests anything other than mid table at best. At the absolute best. 

Theres just too much wrong at the club 

4 hours ago, Mrmason69 said:

Before the season started I said we had more chance of going down than up.

Why did you think that back in July? We didn't know about the embargo, players were returning to fitness (ha) We finished the previous season 5th from the last 16 games.

So why were you so sure?...did you have money on?

The bookies didn't, we were 25/1 to go up.

After a bad start we started to look okayish and started to climb, during the upsurge one bookie made us 200/1 to win the league, or 50/1 2nd or 3rd...15/8 top half.

The odds were too good to ignore, I could have checked out 3 games ago and have taken a small profit ...

At the time it seemed a decent punt at fair value.....villa were a much shorter price and they are crappper than us by a mile.

Bookies use stats when they calculate odds. If you look at the shots on goal stats we're one of the worst teams in the league

http://www.footstats.co.uk/index.cfm?task=league_shots

Only Ipswich, Bolton and Blackburn have had less shots than us this season.

And we've had more shots on our goal and more shots on target against us than any other team in the league.

On 31/10/2018 at 00:18, nilsson said:

Bookies use stats when they calculate odds. If you look at the shots on goal stats we're one of the worst teams in the league

http://www.footstats.co.uk/index.cfm?task=league_shots

Only Ipswich, Bolton and Blackburn have had less shots than us this season.

And we've had more shots on our goal and more shots on target against us than any other team in the league.

So given the fact utd attack and attack calculating odds that shots on goal eventually pay off what chance have we a week tomorrow or even Saturday