Onomah

37 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

Why the hell did Jos take him off and replace him with an inexperienced youngster against a midfield full of experience?!?

It looked like he was struggling to carry on after getting a whack in the eye, so he had to come off.

The issue then was that the closest like-for-like replacement was Kirby, which was less than ideal against an experienced West Brom midfield.

Jones might well have been a better option, but he wasn't in the squad for some reason.

1 minute ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

It looked like he was struggling to carry on after getting a whack in the eye, so he had to come off.

The issue then was that the closest like-for-like replacement was Kirby, which was less than ideal against an experienced West Brom midfield.

Jones might well have been a better option, but he wasn't in the squad for some reason.

Jones his playing Snap with Hutch, Westwood and abdi. 100k a week between them to play cards (or 450k if Jones on 350k a week). 

22 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Or he could have put Hector in Midfield and Thorniley at the back.

33 minutes ago, פɹᴉɯqɐɹᴉɐu said:

He was brilliant, do we rest Penney and put Reach at LWB with Onomah moving into the Reach role? Although of course we then lose Reach's 40 yard tap-ins...

40 yard tap ins  love it lol 

he was excellent. I don't know the answer to how it all fits in but I would be happy with last night's midfield as a general go-to option. I certainly wouldn't favour bringing back Bannan in place of Onomah. We were much better balanced and more fluid last night. Bannan is at his best picking up the ball fairly deep and spraying passes around. It is gorgeous to watch when working, but it is too easily closed down, and we are often too static. 

49 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Bang on.  Filling the bench with kids cost us 2 points last night.

I always like 4 - 3 -3 and with JP, BB and JO we have 3 players you could go with. My concern is if you play a 3 you need really mobile players who not only cover a lot of ground but do it quickly. BB is a talented player but not certain how he would fair in such a system. his lack of physical size and not being the quickest means he is easy to mark in the 4 -2 -3-1 formation he can come a bit deeper and escape markers. if you play against teams with fast athletic midfield players I fear we would struggle and their is evidence to prove this. I think worth giving a try against a team with not much pace in centre of midfield. Only other way is to alternate BB with JO depending on opposition. Last night we initiated attacks from various points on the field whereas when BB plays most stuff comes through him and this makes us more predictable. Hopefully last night will have shown we can use other ways to get forward even when BB playing. Think with midfield 3 bringing ball out from back would be easier as we looked at most vulnerable when trying to do this.

Michael Hector is non too quick and distribution is not great so would not be convinced about him in midfield.

The other problem is who do you go with at centre half.I think Thorniley is a better bet as a centre back particularly in a 4 as he is disciplined and sticks to the script. Pudil has good qualities in a 3 at the back but can go off script and this can change shape of team at the back. I have not watched game back from yesterday but I am certain this is what happened and made us vulnerable. When you are 2-0 up with 15 minutes left no need for centre backs to venture forward to edge of opponents penalty area.

Hector is solid at back and looks a 7/10 player in games so far. Lees had not been in best form but in last two or 3 games has found form. Think I would go with Lees and Thorniley. 

In addition we do lack a leader on pitch somebody who can keep players to script and know when a foul is a good idea. think if anything our players are too nice a bunch of individuals. We could do with somebody horrible.

55 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

Or he could have put Hector in Midfield and Thorniley at the back.

Yeah, although that would have been less like-for-like and would have disrupted the backline who had done so well until that point.

I can understand why he wanted to avoid that option, though in hindsight it might have been better. 

After his first couple of sub appearances with us, I'll admit I slightly worried about early signs of that tendency towards (quote-unquote!) 'laziness' I've heard Villa fans grumble about. But after last night I'm hoping we can chalk that up to a bit of new-arrival hesitancy. Worked really hard until he reluctantly had to be hooked, and we looked worse ever after.

Really did have a very very good game. He was excellent on the ball, and honestly ran his socks off chasing back.

(Gets stuck in now and then too.)

lol

Medium

Hugely promising and potentially a very effective player at this level.

Fingers crossed, I think we've bagged ourselves a very canny loanee there. Well played Josh mate!

Edited by Mr. Tom

Also hugely impressed with Hector as a stopper...phenomenal in tackling and blocking, he gets everywhere and he's very solid.

But my GOD, his distribution...he makes Tom Lees look like Iniesta.

:Pelupessy::Pelupessy::duntmatter:

Get him sidefooting into a row of buckets for the next three months - it honestly sometimes looks like he's never kicked a ball before.

Very happy to have him in the backline but that aspect of his game needs work, and fast.

Edited by Mr. Tom

2 hours ago, Beholder said:

Yep. Has to be. 

Otherwise yiu have to drop Bannan or reach. 

Only other consideration would be Hector for pelupessy. 

Has to be Penney who makes way.

His decision making and passing were poor again. Down to him for their second last night