Slept on it thoughts

2 hours ago, daveyboy66 said:

The team has been galvanised since the Villa game and we are only ONE point from the playoffs at the beginning of October. If people can't see the positives in that I'm baffled. Come January we will be up among them and then we can really get started

Hope you are right mate, I know there have been problems last couple of games with keeping the ball and playing out of defence, but despite the lack of clean sheets I think the defence  from simply a defending point of view have shown remarkable resilience, get our act together and who knows

14 minutes ago, asteener1867 said:

Hope you are right mate, I know there have been problems last couple of games with keeping the ball and playing out of defence, but despite the lack of clean sheets I think the defence  from simply a defending point of view have shown remarkable resilience, get our act together and who knows

The defence is shaky and when they come under prolonged pressure they seem to panic and clear it long. I thought our problems started when they made their subs last night FF and Atdhe starting to tire, defence clearing long and forwards not being able to hold on to the ball. We just keeping losing the ball putting defence under constant pressure. Although FF had one of his best games for a long time last night Jos should have taken Atdhe and FF off and brought Fletcher and Lucas on and Pelupessy should have grounded their player.

4 hours ago, SallyCinnamon said:

I think we have a good honest bunch of players with a great team spirit. They fight for each other and give their all. I also believe we have real quality going forward. Forestieri is probably in his prime and has started working harder for the team. Reach is in the form of his life. We have good striking options and more strikers to come back. Onomah looked very promising last night and we lost control when he went off. Bannan is one of the best players in the division, and we've got to take encouragement from the fact we dominated a promotion favourite for 80 minutes without him.

However, we are very naive and wobbly defensively. The side lacks leaders and we lack experience when in a winning position. Criminal we've lost that game last night. Pelupessy had one of his better games but he lacks that bit of intelligence and know how at this level. He's young and still relatively inexperienced but he has to take out Barnes and accept a yellow. The backline scares me and I think they scare each other. We never looked solid. The amount of times Hector tried to play the ball out of defence but gave it to a West Brom player was ridiculous. Shocked a side with the quality they had were so wasteful when they had good opportunities to hurt us through our stupid mistakes. We've seen us do the same against the likes of Leeds and Stoke and we've got lucky in my opinion. If we are going to persist with playing it out from the back, Tom Lees needs to start taking some responsibilty and play with a bit more confidence. He's so reluctant to bring the ball forward, he shows no leadership qualities for captain. I've backed Dawson for the number 1 shirt, but he doesn't fill me with great confidence. And if he doesn't fill me with confidence in the stand, I doubt he does to the defence in front of him. 

I like what Jos is doing with the young players, giving them a chance. But I think it's clear some of them aren't ready yet. Ideally the likes of Kirby should be on loan at a League 2 or National League club to get him up to speed with men's football. Not brought on to defend a 2 goal lead against the likes of Brunt, Barry and Hoolahan next to him. The three players who've looked ready for first team football from the U'23s are Thorniley, Penney and Clare, and incidentally they all had loan spells prior to being called up to our main squad (admittedly Penney rarely played but he got that experience). For me experienced pros like Jones and Boyd should be on the bench to help see games out. 

I think last nights result kind of summed up where we will be this season. A win would have seen us in the play offs, but our naivety and lack of leadership showed. Effectively I think we'll be top half threatening the play offs, but won't have that killer instinct to make it.

Overall though I'm pleased with how we are doing so far. Just very frustrating the manner we threw that away.

Balanced and logical

1 hour ago, Jakes Grandad said:

The defence is shaky and when they come under prolonged pressure they seem to panic and clear it long. I thought our problems started when they made their subs last night FF and Atdhe starting to tire, defence clearing long and forwards not being able to hold on to the ball. We just keeping losing the ball putting defence under constant pressure. Although FF had one of his best games for a long time last night Jos should have taken Atdhe and FF off and brought Fletcher and Lucas on and Pelupessy should have grounded their player.

Maybe Adthe for Fletcher, but forestieri was still doing more running than Joao in the last 10 minutes, no reflection on Joao its hard to come on and get into the pace of the game, and Fletcher wins more ball

Lots of young inexperienced lads in this side. They will learn from last night and they will grow as the season progresses. I think there’s a lot to look forward to and good times to come. Let’s just remember how much has changed in a short space of time. 

6 minutes ago, Plonk said:

Lots of young inexperienced lads in this side. They will learn from last night and they will grow as the season progresses. I think there’s a lot to look forward to and good times to come. Let’s just remember how much has changed in a short space of time. 

I think that's what many of the detractors are forgetting. When Jos took over from clueless this club was an absolute shambles, and IMO heading back to L1. He inherited a massive injury list and those that weren't injured had very poor fitness levels/morale. But Jos has calmly and methodically steered the club into much calmer waters, so much so that we are now, after 11 matches and with an awful start to the season, one point from Top 6......with some big names still to come back. Seriously, why all the moaning? 

Edited by Almat

As hard as last night was to take, I’m relatively pleased with what we’re showing. Although we can’t keep relying on wonder Strikes and a bit of sustained pressure in games wouldnt go amis.

I was fearing a real struggle this season but as I also said in the summer, when nothing is expected it sometimes helps the team get on with it. 

The elephant in the room is the blades in 3rd with a geriatric strike force. That is putting extra pressure on us this season to make sure we’re not too far off. 

17 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

As hard as last night was to take, I’m relatively pleased with what we’re showing. Although we can’t keep relying on wonder Strikes and a bit of sustained pressure in games wouldnt go amis.

I was fearing a real struggle this season but as I also said in the summer, when nothing is expected it sometimes helps the team get on with it. 

The elephant in the room is the blades in 3rd with a geriatric strike force. That is putting extra pressure on us this season to make sure we’re not too far off. 

Last thing we need to do is worry about them lot. They'll drop off again I reckon. Let them have there moment of glory, it will come back and bite them in the arse soon enough. 

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Last thing we need to do is worry about them lot. They'll drop off again I reckon. Let them have there moment of glory, it will come back and bite them in the arse soon enough. 

I hope so! I want us to give them a proper beating this season but at the moment I’m concerned about a flappy defence leading to more problems in that game. 

9 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

I hope so! I want us to give them a proper beating this season but at the moment I’m concerned about a flappy defence leading to more problems in that game. 

Our defence is a concern against them with the way we play. Just got to hope our attackers step up to the plate. 

6 hours ago, SallyCinnamon said:

I think we have a good honest bunch of players with a great team spirit. They fight for each other and give their all. I also believe we have real quality going forward. Forestieri is probably in his prime and has started working harder for the team. Reach is in the form of his life. We have good striking options and more strikers to come back. Onomah looked very promising last night and we lost control when he went off. Bannan is one of the best players in the division, and we've got to take encouragement from the fact we dominated a promotion favourite for 80 minutes without him.

However, we are very naive and wobbly defensively. The side lacks leaders and we lack experience when in a winning position. Criminal we've lost that game last night. Pelupessy had one of his better games but he lacks that bit of intelligence and know how at this level. He's young and still relatively inexperienced but he has to take out Barnes and accept a yellow. The backline scares me and I think they scare each other. We never looked solid. The amount of times Hector tried to play the ball out of defence but gave it to a West Brom player was ridiculous. Shocked a side with the quality they had were so wasteful when they had good opportunities to hurt us through our stupid mistakes. We've seen us do the same against the likes of Leeds and Stoke and we've got lucky in my opinion. If we are going to persist with playing it out from the back, Tom Lees needs to start taking some responsibilty and play with a bit more confidence. He's so reluctant to bring the ball forward, he shows no leadership qualities for captain. I've backed Dawson for the number 1 shirt, but he doesn't fill me with great confidence. And if he doesn't fill me with confidence in the stand, I doubt he does to the defence in front of him. 

I like what Jos is doing with the young players, giving them a chance. But I think it's clear some of them aren't ready yet. Ideally the likes of Kirby should be on loan at a League 2 or National League club to get him up to speed with men's football. Not brought on to defend a 2 goal lead against the likes of Brunt, Barry and Hoolahan next to him. The three players who've looked ready for first team football from the U'23s are Thorniley, Penney and Clare, and incidentally they all had loan spells prior to being called up to our main squad (admittedly Penney rarely played but he got that experience). For me experienced pros like Jones and Boyd should be on the bench to help see games out. 

I think last nights result kind of summed up where we will be this season. A win would have seen us in the play offs, but our naivety and lack of leadership showed. Effectively I think we'll be top half threatening the play offs, but won't have that killer instinct to make it.

Overall though I'm pleased with how we are doing so far. Just very frustrating the manner we threw that away.

Spot on, must have been a good sleep!

6 hours ago, wilfsmith said:

A win last night would have put us fifth. Those dropped points could cost us at the end of the season. Disappointed to see that Jos said he was happy with the draws against Leeds and West Brom because we showed we can match the best in the league with loads of missing players and as the home team we need to believe we can beat these teams. If and when we get more players back we could still surprise a few people on here and battle for a play off position.

We would have all taken draws against those two i suspect

Things are alright, the defence are learning, we were unable to bring in experienced defenders for the known reasons. Only thing I suggest is when teams are putting pressure on us and we have 3 at the back we need to lump it up to the halfway line and get the opponents turned to relieve the pressure on us

27 minutes ago, pgmetcalf said:

Things are alright, the defence are learning, we were unable to bring in experienced defenders for the known reasons. Only thing I suggest is when teams are putting pressure on us and we have 3 at the back we need to lump it up to the halfway line and get the opponents turned to relieve the pressure on us

I don't understand why we play it out when we have Nuhiu or Fletch up top with FF and Reach buzzing around them.

Sometimes just going back to old school basics is incredibly effective. 

6 hours ago, savi said:

People are taking the positives from recent performances and even last nights but last night there was a catalogue of errors , starting with Jos.

I get where you are coming from .. i do .. but sometimes people seem to over analyse stuff .. if we had held out with Kirby coming on, JOS would have been paraded around as the master tactician and everyone would have been raving about him and the win

we didn't so many scrutinise everything ..

for me the main reason why we didn't win was the woeful defending, especially for the 2nd goal where no-one took the lead and commited themselves regardless of who was back, how many defenders were covering etc. Just either attempt a tackle or wipe Barnes out ..

We'll definitely learn from this and doubt we'll see subs like this again thats for sure .. well i'm hoping thats for sure!

Last night summed us up pretty well

We are better than people probably expected but we aren’t quite strong enough to compete for a top 6 place consistently.

..we are too open at the back but have enough quality to get results.

Cant see a clean sheet looming at any stage soon.

We’re upper middtable and it’s probably where we’ll likely end up.

7 hours ago, savi said:

People are taking the positives from recent performances and even last nights but last night there was a catalogue of errors , starting with Jos.

The subs:

Kirby - not his fault he was brought on but this left us with a huge gap in midfield leaving Joey isolated.

Joao- The idea was right, pace and skill was needed to run the channels to potentially run down the clock but he looked so disinterested, lazy & lethargic, Ff running past him to close down left me fuming.

1st GOAL

Lees & Palmer out of position, not a clue where they were.

Hector- got dragged out of position due to our midfield going missing.

Joey- unlucky for the OG

2nd GOAL

Joey- bring him down,

Bring Him Down

BRING HIM DOWN

BRING HIM FxxING DOWN.

(I find myself shouting)

Should have been a yellow card on the halfway line everyday.

Lees, Pudil & Hector- turned inside out in our own box by 1 player, why was he allowed to even get in the box.

As i say a catalogue of errors all starting with the Substitutions.

In Jos i trust but his Interview left me angry, really angry, he needs to look in the mirror to find where the 2 points were dropped.

Hindsight is a great thing tough isnt it.

Can't help thinking Bannan would have brought him down had he been playing .