Slept on it thoughts

I think we have a good honest bunch of players with a great team spirit. They fight for each other and give their all. I also believe we have real quality going forward. Forestieri is probably in his prime and has started working harder for the team. Reach is in the form of his life. We have good striking options and more strikers to come back. Onomah looked very promising last night and we lost control when he went off. Bannan is one of the best players in the division, and we've got to take encouragement from the fact we dominated a promotion favourite for 80 minutes without him.

However, we are very naive and wobbly defensively. The side lacks leaders and we lack experience when in a winning position. Criminal we've lost that game last night. Pelupessy had one of his better games but he lacks that bit of intelligence and know how at this level. He's young and still relatively inexperienced but he has to take out Barnes and accept a yellow. The backline scares me and I think they scare each other. We never looked solid. The amount of times Hector tried to play the ball out of defence but gave it to a West Brom player was ridiculous. Shocked a side with the quality they had were so wasteful when they had good opportunities to hurt us through our stupid mistakes. We've seen us do the same against the likes of Leeds and Stoke and we've got lucky in my opinion. If we are going to persist with playing it out from the back, Tom Lees needs to start taking some responsibilty and play with a bit more confidence. He's so reluctant to bring the ball forward, he shows no leadership qualities for captain. I've backed Dawson for the number 1 shirt, but he doesn't fill me with great confidence. And if he doesn't fill me with confidence in the stand, I doubt he does to the defence in front of him. 

I like what Jos is doing with the young players, giving them a chance. But I think it's clear some of them aren't ready yet. Ideally the likes of Kirby should be on loan at a League 2 or National League club to get him up to speed with men's football. Not brought on to defend a 2 goal lead against the likes of Brunt, Barry and Hoolahan next to him. The three players who've looked ready for first team football from the U'23s are Thorniley, Penney and Clare, and incidentally they all had loan spells prior to being called up to our main squad (admittedly Penney rarely played but he got that experience). For me experienced pros like Jones and Boyd should be on the bench to help see games out. 

I think last nights result kind of summed up where we will be this season. A win would have seen us in the play offs, but our naivety and lack of leadership showed. Effectively I think we'll be top half threatening the play offs, but won't have that killer instinct to make it.

Overall though I'm pleased with how we are doing so far. Just very frustrating the manner we threw that away.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

A win last night would have put us fifth. Those dropped points could cost us at the end of the season. Disappointed to see that Jos said he was happy with the draws against Leeds and West Brom because we showed we can match the best in the league with loads of missing players and as the home team we need to believe we can beat these teams. If and when we get more players back we could still surprise a few people on here and battle for a play off position.

I agree on CK. Not Kirby's fault but last night was the wrong time to try and blood a small youngster against a side of WBA's size, quality and experience.

Playing out from the back we look shaky at best and Tom Lees won't take 30 yards of space if you hand it to him on a silver platter.

Joao was my biggest disappointment last night. He came on and after 5 mins was moving like he'd been on since the start. His attitude was appalling as well.

Also, Joey should have speared Barnes near the half way line....had a good game otherwise though.

Overall I thought we were very good for 85 minutes and I enjoyed it a lot. Just went to pot when Nuhiu and Onomah were taken off because we lost our target man and the midfield.

13 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

I think we have a good honest bunch of players with a great team spirit. They fight for each other and give their all. I also believe we have real quality going forward. Forestieri is probably in his prime and has started working harder for the team. Reach is in the form of his life. We have good striking options and more strikers to come back. Onomah looked very promising last night and we lost control when he went off. Bannan is one of the best players in the division, and we've got to take encouragement from the fact we dominated a promotion favourite for 80 minutes without him.

However, we are very naive and wobbly defensively. The side lacks leaders and we lack experience when in a winning position. Criminal we've lost that game last night. Pelupessy had one of his better games but he lacks that bit of intelligence and know how at this level. He's young and still relatively inexperienced but he has to take out Barnes and accept a yellow. The backline scares me and I think they scare each other. We never looked solid. The amount of times Hector tried to play the ball out of defence but gave it to a West Brom player was ridiculous. Shocked a side with the quality they had were so wasteful when they had good opportunities to hurt us through our stupid mistakes. We've seen us do the same against the likes of Leeds and Stoke and we've got lucky in my opinion. If we are going to persist with playing it out from the back, Tom Lees needs to start taking some responsibilty and play with a bit more confidence. He's so reluctant to bring the ball forward, he shows no leadership qualities for captain. I've backed Dawson for the number 1 shirt, but he doesn't fill me with great confidence. And if he doesn't fill me with confidence in the stand, I doubt he does to the defence in front of him. 

I like what Jos is doing with the young players, giving them a chance. But I think it's clear some of them aren't ready yet. Ideally the likes of Kirby should be on loan at a League 2 or National League club to get him up to speed with men's football. Not brought on to defend a 2 goal lead against the likes of Brunt, Barry and Hoolahan next to him. The three players who've looked ready for first team football from the U'23s are Thorniley, Penney and Clare, and incidentally they all had loan spells prior to being called up to our main squad (admittedly Penney rarely played but he got that experience). For me experienced pros like Jones and Boyd should be on the bench to help see games out. 

I think last nights result kind of summed up where we will be this season. A win would have seen us in the play offs, but our naivety and lack of leadership showed. Effectively I think we'll be top half threatening the play offs, but won't have that killer instinct to make it.

Overall though I'm pleased with how we are doing so far. Just very frustrating the manner we threw that away.

I agree, can't help but feel that the 3 points last night would galvanised the team, I've got the feeling although a point wasn't a disaster as such the manner of the draw may trip up any progress we have made .

Agree with the OP, and would have taken a draw before 7:45, if I'm totally honest. Just not in that way!

Their subs improved them, ours didn't.

Frustrating as hell that we didn't break the top 6 but our unbeaten home record goes on.

Not a disaster, by any means, but FFS, so close to making a big statement regarding the league & the table.

Onwards.

2 minutes ago, Owl999 said:

I agree, can't help but feel that the 3 points last night would galvanised the team, I've got the feeling although a point wasn't a disaster as such the manner of the draw may trip up any progress we have made .

The team has been galvanised since the Villa game and we are only ONE point from the playoffs at the beginning of October. If people can't see the positives in that I'm baffled. Come January we will be up among them and then we can really get started

10 minutes ago, OwlofOliveGrove said:

I agree on CK. Not Kirby's fault but last night was the wrong time to try and blood a small youngster against a side of WBA's size, quality and experience.

Playing out from the back we look shaky at best and Tom Lees won't take 30 yards of space if you hand it to him on a silver platter.

Joao was my biggest disappointment last night. He came on and after 5 mins was moving like he'd been on since the start. His attitude was appalling as well.

Also, Joey should have speared Barnes near the half way line....had a good game otherwise though.

Overall I thought we were very good for 85 minutes and I enjoyed it a lot. Just went to pot when Nuhiu and Onomah were taken off because we lost our target man and the midfield.

Agree with that, a couple of times last night he had about 30 yards of space in front of him and people were screaming for him to go forward.

He just doesn't seem to have any confidence since Loovens went, we need a strong player next to him to tell him what to do.

I think we have the offensive threat we didn't have last season due to youth. 

The problem lies in an ability to defend well for long periods. Not slating the defence but we are having to endure a lot of pressure and ultimately if the wonder goals dry up we are going to fall away quite quickly, as was honestly expected at start of season. 

16 minutes ago, The only way is S6 said:

Agree with the OP, and would have taken a draw before 7:45, if I'm totally honest. Just not in that way!

Their subs improved them, ours didn't.

Frustrating as hell that we didn't break the top 6 but our unbeaten home record goes on.

Not a disaster, by any means, but FFS, so close to making a big statement regarding the league & the table.

Onwards.

Agree with that especially when saying our subs didn't improve us where their's did, unfortunately that is down to the depth of our squad . But it shows how good we had been that they made 3 subs at once and left themselves wide open had they picked up any injuries.

But Joao really has to show more intent and battle and I would have sooner seen Fletcher come on.

Small margins though and I am very happy with how we are competing against the stronger sides of the division. Yes it was a kicker to end up drawing but they got out of jail and if Pelupessy had a bit more guile and taken one for the team we would have had all 3 pts. 

9 minutes ago, acquiescefc said:

I think we have the offensive threat we didn't have last season due to youth. 

The problem lies in an ability to defend well for long periods. Not slating the defence but we are having to endure a lot of pressure and ultimately if the wonder goals dry up we are going to fall away quite quickly, as was honestly expected at start of season. 

Agree with that but if we can see that we are struggling defending for long periods surely Jos can see too.

I was baffled by his substitution in bringing Kirby on last night, surely we needed to leave a player on in midfield to hold up the ball and help our defence.

This is just my view on last night not a general criticism of Jos as I think he is doing a good job generally.

The OP has is spot on. I do think the team will improve and grow in confidence over the season.

Think the lack of a clean sheet will be one of reasons for looking a bit shaky in defence. If we had kept shape last night and kept a clean sheet I would have been full of confidence today about a good season ahead.

I went to bed in a bad mood and woke up this morning in a bad mood.

Their substitutions verses our substitutions...well, I don’t have to explain myself there do I.... we blew it.

Anyhow, I’m still happy with the way things are progressing under Jos, I thought that we were good last night, the team worked hard and seem to be behind the manager which is great.

Onwards and upwards .

People are taking the positives from recent performances and even last nights but last night there was a catalogue of errors , starting with Jos.

The subs:

Kirby - not his fault he was brought on but this left us with a huge gap in midfield leaving Joey isolated.

Joao- The idea was right, pace and skill was needed to run the channels to potentially run down the clock but he looked so disinterested, lazy & lethargic, Ff running past him to close down left me fuming.

1st GOAL

Lees & Palmer out of position, not a clue where they were.

Hector- got dragged out of position due to our midfield going missing.

Joey- unlucky for the OG

2nd GOAL

Joey- bring him down,

Bring Him Down

BRING HIM DOWN

BRING HIM FxxING DOWN.

(I find myself shouting)

Should have been a yellow card on the halfway line everyday.

Lees, Pudil & Hector- turned inside out in our own box by 1 player, why was he allowed to even get in the box.

As i say a catalogue of errors all starting with the Substitutions.

In Jos i trust but his Interview left me angry, really angry, he needs to look in the mirror to find where the 2 points were dropped.

Hindsight is a great thing tough isnt it.

3 hours ago, SallyCinnamon said:

We didn't.

• Thanks 1

I think you've got that pretty much spot on.

I hate singling him out because its not necessarily his fault, but confidence starts at the back and for me that lays with the goalkeeper.

He makes some good stops, but I think at this level you need an older, more experienced head in goal, for now anyway.

We aren't ruthless enough at the back, were still too soft. Thorniley brings a bit of that when he plays, but Tom Lees needs a few lessons on it. In hindsight Danny Batth would've been a great addition in my opinion, we lack a real leader in this current side.