Genuine Top 6 Contenders or An Easy Start?

1 hour ago, Buddy Repperton said:

Every single game in this league will be a scrap.

For pretty much everyone (with the odd exception nearly every week when a half-decent side randomly fails to turn up at all). But yeah, that’s why this league is brilliant/a nightmare

3 hours ago, Bulgaria said:

Before the villa game I would have said easy start.

After watching the villa game and seeing what we are capable of, I would say a decent chance of top 6.

Whatever it is, I just love the championship. So unpredictable, how sport should be 

if you was at Forest you would say be lucky to stay up

We’ve basically still got the same squad that finished in the top 6 for 2 seasons on the trot . Plus I still truly believe we would have last season without the horrendous injury list . 

This season I can only see us getting better if the likes of Hooper , Lee , Forresteri , Winnal , Hutchinson and Abdi, ever regain their fitness and form . 

Coupled with the influx of the young un’s like Penny that have broke into the team it’s potentially exciting  times ahead 

We showed so much intensity against Villa. It was a real bold and daring approach.

Very exciting counter attacking football. The players looked as if they had an extra bit of zippy about them.

I'm really looking forward to seeing if we can maintain that against Leeds. It was in part, 'first season esq' - Leeds may set up in a different way, or Jos might go more defensive, as it stands I don't fear Leeds. 

I'm no football genius, tend to go on feeling and observations. Let the football men make the decisions and in Jos I trust.  

the hardest time to play wigan away was 1st game. they was flying from last year... next up away was brentford!

hasnt been an easy start, prefer to play the lesser teams when they have been battered a few times and are down there. weve had to play them when they still full of early season optimism.

would also like to play the teams that have come down early, while their still adjusting before they find their feet.

Basically the pigs have had the easier start. while we have to do it the hard way!

7 minutes ago, zzmdu said:

Yep; it's definitely an easy start. Playing 5 of the bottom 7; 4 of which will probably stay there.

1 win against the next 3, would give us hope; 2 definitely.

Be a bonus but they might not define the season. 

Beat all the simular teams between 7th and 21st and we'll be there abouts. 

• Like 1

No easy games in the championship.  We’re where we are on merit alone.  

We’re absolutely genuine top top six contenders.  

With a fair wind, a bit of luck, injury free, players returning and a bit of momentum, we’re also genuine top two contenders (I put the forest debacle when we so far off the pace down to the tragic events of that day, their humans first, footballers second). 

Honestly i I think we’re (in with a more than sporting chance of being) this years Cardiff.  

I fully expect us to beat the egg chasers on Friday.  

Edited by Hirstys Salopettes

I think what seems to hold us back most is our own self belief. That Villa performance has been coming for ages but before that we've only shown in patches what we are capable of. Those patches have helped us win games but imagine if we could string these sorts of good performances out more often. We took the game to Villa, fought to win the ball back early, moved up field with speed and directness and created plenty of chances. Contrast that to Forest where we were in our own shell, looked sloppy, slow, lazy and lost. 

To be fair though most teams will be up and down, any sort of consistency gets you to the top 6 really. Even then over a 46 game season you can lose 10-15 games and still go up. More maybe if you don't draw many. 

Guest Willow Owl
1 hour ago, zzmdu said:

You do realise we've played more teams, near the bottom, to date.

Shouldnt be too hard for you to comprehend.

Will guarantee that both Stoke and Villa will finish above the three teams we have lost too. We took 4points off them. To me a top half finish. 

Weren't Villa above us when we played them?

And Forest below us?

I agree that we've had a fairly easy start, but it's not as simple as looking at the average league position today. What was the league position when we played teams, and what was their current form?

Have we been "lucky", i.e. opposition affected by injuries/suspension?