Who's the second toughest

8 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

I saw him a few times playing for the reserves towards the end of his time with us. He was like a minder to the kids. I remember one of them being the victim of a dirty foul that started a melee and Madden was just pushing our players away telling them not to get involved. But I knew what he was really doing. Sure enough, a few miinutes later he put the bloke on the ground (might have been Bob Booker) and then booted him again while he was down there for good measure. 

Should have pointed out that was at the Lane against the swine.

• Like 1

Step forward Peter Atherton. Occasionally cleaned up an opponent, just ask Luca Vialli who laid there unconscious despite only having the misfortune of going in for a 50/50.

Never got the recognition he deserved as a player because he was given the impossible job of playing right back after some bloke called Roland left us.

20 minutes ago, vulva said:

Coughlan getting concussion and trying to play on was legendary. Still think that Plymouth side he played in, with Friio and Wootten was pound for pound one of the best sides to come to Hillsborough for years. 

They were brilliant that night. Seem to think they brought a big following as well.

14 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

Dont want to read anyone pick a current or very recent player as being hard.

Not that Wednesday in particular are not 'tough' just the modern game is all very lighweight compared to 10 to 20 years ago.

While this has effected the game mostly for the worst, it can't be denied that if the same attitude was taken to dangerous tackles thirty years ago as it was today then Ian Knight and David Hirst would have piles of England caps between them.

We say all this but It's the unassuming one's who are the real tough cookies, for example I bet Almen Abdi might be a black belt in Jiu Jitsu. 

Adam Reach has spent that much time in America, he may be a NCAA collegiate wrestling champion 

We just don't know these things

Surprised no one has mentioned Lee Chapman. Never afraid to put his head where it hurt. Him, Lyons, Sterland and Hodge were all regulars in Josephine's during the mid-80's and I don't think I ever saw Chapman without stitches somewhere on his face!

On 10/09/2018 at 00:19, torryowl said:

it's not exclusively a 70s thing 

nintchdbpict000355665081-e1507054930231.jpg

Thats just a stereotypical Scottish look, show me a typical reception class school photo from somewhere like Kelso and it'll be full of four/five year olds with this look.

Surprised with the number of Lawrie madden shouts... only remember him from the very tail end of his time with Wednesday and wouldn't have thought it of him.