29 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Exactly

And yet yesterday was the first time any fans were tweeting about the songs being played (probably first time EVER) in a positive way

Thanks for clearing that up mate

Yet we have however many pages on here on how bad the main reason for music at a match was - so hopefully the club will learn from more of their mistakes and improve for next time 

Just now, torres said:

Yet we have however many pages on here on how bad the main reason for music at a match was - so hopefully the club will learn from more of their mistakes and improve for next time 

The club don't make mistakes mate

Didn't you go on Monday night?

Now shut up moaning and sit back down

lol

Owlstalk Shop

Sheffield club, try's to celebrate Sheffield music. Draws a game of football and people whinge about the music. 

Pretty much all I'm reading in this thread, apart from the odd one whos taste dictates hating on the music. 

5 minutes ago, Maddogbob said:

Sheffield club, try's to celebrate Sheffield music. Draws a game of football and people whinge about the music. 

Pretty much all I'm reading in this thread, apart from the odd one whos taste dictates hating on the music. 

Pretty much

Sheffield Wednesday has the most successful fanbase in terms of amazing music (Pulp, Def Leppard, Heaven 17, Reverend, Arctic Monkeys, Richard Hawley etc etc)

Sheffield has an even bigger base of incredible artists 

The bands that write these songs are sat in the stands alongside us

Loads of upcoming unsigned young bands in the city also sat in the stands on top of all the major big bands that are already superstars

Try to celebrate that for one season and get shouted at for not playing an Irish band or some Elton John and Kiki Dee and for doing something new/different and trying to create a positive that is a new and more appropriate era of stadium entertainment 

Owlstalk Shop

There was nothing wrong with the choice of music.  However, the sound system let the idea down.  It was near on impossible to hear anything on row 38 on the Kop.  Do they increase the volume for 'Hi Ho'?  It sounded a lot louder.

• Like 1

I like the idea of having local music at Hillsborough

But for all us Perry Como fans

Would it be possible to announce the artist and song at the intro

I recognised Alex Turner’s voice but nothing else

And if we’re going to be playing Monkies stuff

Can I request Last Train To Clarksville

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

If they’re going to play any music at all it might as well be Sheffield music. Waterfront works because it’s completely anthemic - Simple Minds at their best and I can’t immediately think of a Sheffield equivalent (someone on here will know). Send in the Boys is perfect for the second half I reckon.

Agree that the Sheffield music thing is a great idea if done properly (which is an entirely subjective argument).

To me Wednesday represent a classic English football club with a fantastic history and tradition so I would choose music by local artists that reflect that which naturally provides bias towards older tunes that are well known such as:

Joe Cocker - With a Little Help From My Friends - Delta Lady - Up Where We Belong

Glitter Band - Angel Face - Let's Get Together Again

Chris Spedding - Motorbikin'

Terry Curran - Singing the Blues

Human League - Don't You Want Me - Love Action - Get Around Town - Lebanon - I'm Only Human

Heaven 17 - Temptation

ABC - Look of Love - Shoot That Poison Arrow - Tears Are Not Enough

Thompson Twins - You Take Me Up (already a Wednesday song anyway) - Love On Your Side - Lies - We Are Detective - Hold Me Now - Doctor Doctor - Into The Gap

Phil Oakey/Giorgio Moroder - Together In Electric Dreams

Def Leppard - Bringing on the Heartache - Pyromania - Photograph - Too Late -  Animal - Hysteria - Love Bites - Have You Ever Needed Someone So Bad - Let's Get Rocked

Pulp - Common People

You can even widen the net to include bands or musicians from the local area in other major bands which would give you:

Iron Maiden (Bruce Dickinson was born in Worksop and raised in Worksop and Sheffield - had a house in Totley for many years) - just imagine walking out to Number of the Beast!

Saxon (the original drummer Pete Gill - formerly of the Glitter Band also in Motorhead - is from Sheffield, Biff is from Barnsley) - Wheels of Steel, Strong Arm of the Law

John Parr (Worksop) - St Elmo's Fire - Naughty, Naughty

The possibilities are endless, even without stepping into the last 25 years!

Still think we should keep Waterfront and Hi-Ho though!

So overall, great idea, glad the club is picking it up and running with it but let's develop it, maybe even have a weekly poll by the fans for "The Fans Choice" of track?

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Utah Owl said:

Agree that the Sheffield music thing is a great idea if done properly (which is an entirely subjective argument).

To me Wednesday represent a classic English football club with a fantastic history and tradition so I would choose music by local artists that reflect that which naturally provides bias towards older tunes that are well known such as:

Joe Cocker - With a Little Help From My Friends - Delta Lady - Up Where We Belong

Glitter Band - Angel Face - Let's Get Together Again

Chris Spedding - Motorbikin'

Terry Curran - Singing the Blues

Human League - Don't You Want Me - Love Action - Get Around Town - Lebanon - I'm Only Human

Heaven 17 - Temptation

ABC - Look of Love - Shoot That Poison Arrow - Tears Are Not Enough

Thompson Twins - You Take Me Up (already a Wednesday song anyway) - Love On Your Side - Lies - We Are Detective - Hold Me Now - Doctor Doctor - Into The Gap

Phil Oakey/Giorgio Moroder - Together In Electric Dreams

Def Leppard - Bringing on the Heartache - Pyromania - Photograph - Too Late -  Animal - Hysteria - Love Bites - Have You Ever Needed Someone So Bad - Let's Get Rocked

Pulp - Common People

You can even widen the net to include bands or musicians from the local area in other major bands which would give you:

Iron Maiden (Bruce Dickinson was born in Worksop and raised in Worksop and Sheffield - had a house in Totley for many years) - just imagine walking out to Number of the Beast!

Saxon (the original drummer Pete Gill - formerly of the Glitter Band also in Motorhead - is from Sheffield, Biff is from Barnsley) - Wheels of Steel, Strong Arm of the Law

John Parr (Worksop) - St Elmo's Fire - Naughty, Naughty

The possibilities are endless, even without stepping into the last 25 years!

Still think we should keep Waterfront and Hi-Ho though!

So overall, great idea, glad the club is picking it up and running with it but let's develop it, maybe even have a weekly poll by the fans for "The Fans Choice" of track?

Great post

Constructive, useful, understanding and positive

Owlstalk Shop

Just now, @owlstalk said:

Great post

Constructive, useful, understanding and positive

Thanks Neil and even in that list of luminaries I still managed to forget Paul Carrack (surely the greatest voice in the business) and Steve Rothery (Marillion's Sheffield born guitarist and songwriter).

As I said the possibilities are endless and overall this is a great idea that needs to be fully developed.