Gonna be a long old season

21 minutes ago, Carl Shutt is God said:

It was worse than I expected and I wasn't expecting much. 1st half was shocking. Improved after the break but our midfield is non existent and full backs not good enough especially playing that formation. 

Fletcher should have had 3 goals though. 3 great chances.

Hull were awful and we never looked like winning.

Bit contradictory that isn't it?

3 minutes ago, TodwickOwl said:

The situation at the club doesn’t make up for that woeful performance

We have enough players to turn over Hull - we’re not using them correctly and look all over the shop 

Blinkered if you think otherwise - idiot

Oh no, of course the hanging financial situation and transfer embargo isn’t going to affect the players!! 

Of course off the field problems are going to have an effect on the playing squad. 

Not using players correctly??? 

Please advise on how YOU would utilise the available players? 

Playing Fox was a mistake as he is very poor but Thornily was excellent when he replaced him. 

Reach was poor??? Did you even watch the match? 

32 minutes ago, TodwickOwl said:

One things for certain - without Bannan and Forestieri we are absolutely f*cked.

Do you honestly think those two alone are going to save us.

Guest The Horse

I'm all for being positive but that first half was bizarre.

We effectively set up to not concede against chuffing Hull.

It was obvious the players aren't comfortable playing this formation - probably because they know they aren't playing their natural game.

Tom Lees (for crying out loud) is carrying the ball up field as a play maker.

One up front when we needed to get at the opposition and get the crowd going.

Start with Fletcher and Matias with FF behind - take the game to them.

The team was unbalanced and looked uncomfortable and were playing with hardly any venom in that first half.

Result? Go in 1 down at Half Time and we're playing catch up.

Second half better but we were never in control.

I'm usually one of the most positive people there is but i was baffled by what I saw today.

The worry I’ve got is that yes, we were better than last week; but I’m not sure how much room we’ve got to improve beyond today’s performance. And seeing as that performance wasn’t enough to get past a very poor team at home, I have to agree that it’s going to be a long season. We’re going to have to step it up several gears to get anything at Griffin Park next week, and without any new additions I can’t see where we’re going to find another level.

Edited by Groundhopping Owl

Jos is way to defensive.

I'm fed up of his team selections, 2 games in and we don’t look like we’ve had a pre season, players have no rhythm, we don’t seem to have a style of play it’s all a bit messy.  

Westwood 3rd choice....

Without FF & Bannan this team would be a car crash.

Started with 5 defenders at home again, we have no wing backs, Lees should be playing central, so many errors in the way we play scares me.

I honestly think I could pick a better team with the players available and instruct them to play in a more coherent way than Jos. 

If this is the way it’s going to be this season we will be lucky to get 60 points :sad:

Dissapointing result, but had fletcher done better then perhaps there would be plenty of positivity on here tonight.

Things seem a little flat and perhaps a bit stale, but for FF who is carrying the attack. We had been consistent at home for two seasons but seem to have slipped back into our shell recently but for the spell at the end of last season.

A lot of sides in the division seem more positive and confident. But I think we do have some good players here and we need them to find their form. As fans, it’s easy to fear the worst (me included) but if we go over the top and treat it as a foregone conclusion after two games then perhaps that’s what we will get. 

Thinking about who we've got available and where our weaknesses and strengths are.... how about a X-mas tree formation?

Dawson
Baker   Hutch   Lees  Thornily
     Jones  Bannan  Reach
            MM       FF 
                    SF

Edited by TrueOwl

1 hour ago, Orlando_Trustful said:

Hull were dreadful, but so were we. 

We just have nothing about us and the formations and selections are becoming more strange. 

Any realistic fan can see how this will ultimately end with Jos. 

^^^^^^^

This .

6 hours ago, Dandrewchaz said:

FFS its two games in and do we know we Joao got injured. Perhaps we trained all week with him leading the line but assuming this was a last minute change. Also, if Fletcher remembered his shooting boots we could have won. Perspective is needed. 

Perspective is Fletcher has always been poor at finishing. 

13 hours ago, TodwickOwl said:

Setting up ultra defensive against Hull at home is abysmal

Id rather see us just go back to 4-4-2 than this tosh

agree, can't help but think the change of tactics virtually happened by accident due to Hull taking the lead then Fox going off.

Its purely reactionary against a team we should be beating at home.

Setting up defensively puts us on the back foot, as soon as FF got more of the ball, which was partly due to Thornily passing the ball forwards rather than back or sideways, we looked a better team.

Why not start like that?

16 hours ago, TodwickOwl said:

We looked all over the shop all game - no pattern to our play, players scuffing balls, rushing passes, rush of blood to heads list goes on

We looked slow coming forward and truly weak in the middle - not power or height, Bannan had to cover for Reach (very poor) and Pelupessy (the worst player on the pitch) 

Not quite sure what style of football were trying to play but the players looked like they didn’t have a clue half the time - don’t look anywhere near as organised as the end of last season

And Hull were absolutely shocking - without that pen I’m not even sure we would have picked any intensity up at all. 

Didnt get the response after Wigan whatsoever Jos. 

I think Jos does have a strategy and plan, but I think the players are struggling with it.

We seemed obsessed with trying to slowly play it out from the back, regardless of where both our and the opposition players are. Particularly in the first half Dawson continually passed it out, but the likes of Lees at no point looked comfortable getting the ball off him and the Hull players just closed us down and we found ourselves in trouble. I suspect (and it’s only my opinion) this play slowly out of the back is also one of the issues as to why Westwood is not getting a look in, either he can’t or won’t do it hence Jos’s refusal to play him.

If the players start to get it over the season then great, but if not Jos needs a rethink because he and we won’t be in the league next season if not. 

Edited by Stevelknievel