#SWFC NEWS | Mansfield report racist abuse offence to police and FA

1 minute ago, sheriwozgod said:

Genuine question Banno,  if anyone is found guilty of making a racist comment what do you think the punishment should be ?

This is a difficult one as it depends on the circumstances and the provocation. Every case is different.

If FF found guilty think 8 match ban would be about appropriate. 

Guest Xxxxxxxxcxcc
36 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

That way of thinking leads to people thinking up all different kinds of reasons for it NOT to be racism

You are correct of course but that's part of the problem. You wonder if racism and sexual bigotry etc have actually declined through enlightened thinking or just been driven under rocks waiting to resurface like it did in the 70's and 80's.

In the dark days I had serious fall outs with good friends over racist chants and homophobic behaviour. They weren't rare creatures though. You were surrounded by them at every match and in most pubs etc.

Ironically I now find myself slightly out of kilter again as the pendulum has swung 180 degrees. There can be no tolerance of those old chants etc and certainly not the use of the n word. But increasingly I see use of faux accusations of bigotry or racism quite possibly borne out of disingenuous points scoring. 

For this old fart it seems a shame that we can't seem to celebrate, enjoy and smile at our differences. 

18 minutes ago, Bannofan said:

Well, that's another  8-10 racist Owlstalkers outed.

This site is unbelievable, but I suppose it's only indicative of society in general. 

I knew some posters on here had some pretty dodgy opinions, but trying to argue that making a racist remark doesn't make someone racist is , and is only ' calling names' , is pretty pathetic.

If Joao misses an open net next season, are you going to call him a racist name because ' it's the heat of the moment?'  - after all, you aren't a racist so it's OK, folks.

If Palmer miss places a back pass ? 

Opposition players? 

All heat of the moment stuff in 90 minutes.

Unbelievable. 

It's not being racist,it's looking at the context.

Your example is different and clearly racist. It's opinions. People dont always see crimes and their punishments in the same light.

We have to let the law decide that even if it's not what we would choose.

It comes down to what people find a suitable punishment.

Nobody is saying it isn't wrong if it happened but for me I would hand the matter over to the club's or footballing body to decide.

3 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

I think its reasonable to assume FF is the alleged preparator with the Mansfield players tweet. 

Mmm I am not convinced by that, you mean the trill.i.am bloke? Who even is that? Its definitely not Pearce and it seems a strange thing for a friend to tweet personal text messages about such a matter. I'm not taking that as a reliable source personally. FF has not been named by anything official yet, usually the player in question is, maybe more people are accused, maybe it's fans, I have no idea. 

41 minutes ago, Bannofan said:

This site is unbelievable, but I suppose it's only indicative of society in general. 

I knew some posters on here had some pretty dodgy opinions, but trying to argue that making a racist remark doesn't make someone racist is , and is only ' calling names' , is pretty pathetic.

If Joao misses an open net next season, are you going to call him a racist name because ' it's the heat of the moment?'  - after all, you aren't a racist so it's OK, folks.

Opposition players? 

Unbelievable. 

Give over ffs.

28 year old law abiding, family man, with no reported history of racism of ANY kind, blurts out 1 word (hypothetically) in the heat of the moment immediately after being violently assaulted...

There's a difference between an actual racist, and a decent man who's made a mistake and used a racial slur in a state of retaliatory anger. In my opinion. 

Punishment? Yes. If guilty. But without evidence of any previous, it's totally out of character and an isolated incident. 

I get the sentiment behind "zero tolerance" and stamping racism out, but every case should be looked at in context imo. 

31 minutes ago, sheriwozgod said:

Genuine question Banno,  if anyone is found guilty of making a racist comment what do you think the punishment should be ?

I think a long ban, maybe 8 - 10 games, and a big fine.

I believe the PFA do awareness courses as well, so he would be probably be strongly advised to go on one of those. 

You can't really argue for different cultures and languages here; he's playing in this country - has done for a while - and will know what is acceptable. 

The consequences are such that this really needs to be proven beyond doubt that it was said. It's just an accusation as it stands, there was absolutely loads kicking off at the time so it's not like the Bong/Rodriguez case . This could be extremely difficult to prove one way or another. 

1 hour ago, torres said:

People at work call each other names all the time i'd have thought.

Doubt any of them end up in a police investigation 

Do they? You must work in a very different industry to me. In my work people don't go around racially abusing each other. And if they did they would be hauled up in front of HR and almost certainly be sacked. 

1 hour ago, southportdc said:

The way I see it, there's a few equally viable options

• Forestieri is a full-on Klan member and accidentally let it slip
  • Forestieri is a bit racist and got angry and said something a bit racist
  • Forestieri said something not racist which Pearce thought was racist
  • Forestieri annoyed Pearce so he's calling him a racist
  • Forestieri said nothing, but the referee mimicked him and fooled Pearce (because all refs hate Forestieri)

From the video there is absolutely no way to know, from the statements put out there's no way to know, and you can't judge them on past behaviour. So really we're just going to have to wait for a bit more to come out in due course. 

You missed the option for fessi was getting kicked all game so made a racist comment to their player because he wanted to hurt him. But  has never made a racist remark to a player before in 10 years of professional football because he isn't racist. IF he has done it he should be punished by the club and not outed for being a racist because of 1 mistake.

Guest Xxxxxxxxcxcc
1 minute ago, NorthernOwl said:

I have a feeling this thread would look very different if it was one of our players who was alleging they had been racially abused.

Unfortunately probably true.

6 minutes ago, NorthernOwl said:

I have a feeling this thread would look very different if it was one of our players who was alleging they had been racially abused.

I have feeling the thread would look very different if the alleged preparator was not FF but someone like Dave Jones or Morgan Fox.

18 minutes ago, IstillhateSteveBould said:

Give over ffs.

28 year old law abiding, family man, with no reported history of racism of ANY kind, blurts out 1 word (hypothetically) in the heat of the moment immediately after being violently assaulted...

There's a difference between an actual racist, and a decent man who's made a mistake and used a racial slur in a state of retaliatory anger. In my opinion. 

Punishment? Yes. If guilty. But without evidence of any previous, it's totally out of character and an isolated incident. 

I get the sentiment behind "zero tolerance" and stamping racism out, but every case should be looked at in context imo. 

This

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bannofan said:

Opposition players? 

Unbelievable. 

It is not difficult.

You are not necessarily what you say.