Flash in the pan.

1 hour ago, maldino2004 said:

I don’t believe it’s the start of a dark period, I believe it is a correction that is going to take a couple of seasons to sort out. I think that Chansiri was badly advised from the get go and I think if he had his time again he would have done things very differently and certainly more gradually. 

I believe that is heart and his wallet are in the right place it is just that he is now fighting against the financial fair play debacle and that his hands are tied for the time being. Corrections have to be made and we are in the process of those corrections now. 

I'm more comfortable going into the start of this season than last. We ended last season well and the injury list is receeding.

We know what we've got to work with and that will play to our strengths.

I can't say that I'm 100% convinced by Chansiri, but better the devil you know.

I don't buy this doom and gloom ticket, things won't be as painful this season, we might even sneak into the top six.

The competition isn't as healthy as previous seasons, not forgetting Cardiff and Udders didn't exactly have star laden squads, but got the job done.

2 hours ago, RevOwl said:

Seems like only yesterday we was all buzzing and looking at a real chance of promotion. Trips to Wembley for the play offs and a manager and owner that was desperate for it too. Now just a few months on and the whole place is flat and looking dead in the water. No decent signings, not a lot to get excited about and rival clubs way ahead of us in expectations. Dark days could be here again. 

Feck off we're gonna win the league. 

9 minutes ago, rickygoo said:

You’ve made this up. 

Have i?

When CC arrived there was a feeling that we might struggle with a lot of foreign buys, we started poorly but made play offs.

When JOC and Jimmy Smith were the only signings, nailed on relegation was the feeling. But we finished mid table and had some good results with tudgay having a great season.

converseley last season expecting top six or even top two - bombed 

cream of the crop season- club openly aimed for playoffs - relegated 

hms pis the league - nearly end up in league 2

Lloyd owusu and Leon Knight season - plenty of goals between them and expected to have us toward the top half - relegated (I think?)

Premier league return ticket - bottom half 

promotion from league one- can we use the momentum - saved last day 

Edited by Bluesteel

Seems like only yesterday we was all buzzing and looking at a real chance of promotion. Trips to Wembley for the play offs and a manager and owner that was desperate for it too. Now just a few months on and the whole place is flat and looking dead in the water. No decent signings, not a lot to get excited about and rival clubs way ahead of us in expectations. Dark days could be here again. 

not sure being a football supporter especially of sheffield wednesday is for you old chap 

Wembley for the playoffs just a few months ago? 

Feels like at least a couple of years since to me.

Final quarter of last season we were comfortably at play off level.

Since then the playing options are arguably a bit stronger with players back. And we can hope for improved fitness. 

Who knows?

More cause to be optimistic this preseason than the majority of preseasons this century.

Guest Willow Owl
55 minutes ago, canyoujust said:

I prefer Mr Muscle gets those hard moving stains out 

I know what you mean, but dont try in your boxers. Leaves a nasty rash

Wigan away, hull home, Brentford away, millwall home, Ipswich home our first 5 games 10 points + chance of top 10 this season, all winnable ties none have bought superstars. 

Any less then it's going to be a long hard season.

9 minutes ago, thewookieisdown said:

Final quarter of last season we were comfortably at play off level.

Since then the playing options are arguably a bit stronger with players back. And we can hope for improved fitness. 

Who knows?

More cause to be optimistic this preseason than the majority of preseasons this century.

The whole fitness thing, is it not expected that every player of every team in the league the bare minimum expected is they are match fit come the first game of the season.

The appalling level of negativity from some on here is beyond belief, especially before a ball had been kicked. (Don't quote the pre season kick about's in the park).

The f****n whining & whinging from so called 'supporters' is vomit inducing. 

Towards the end of last season when a semblance of a full team was restored & Jos's philosophy was starting to show, our form was up there with the best. So what is this wrist slitting pessimism based on?

We've retained all the player's we wanted to, they may now, with fitness levels improved, get a sustained settled run together. (FF may be properly fit for the first time in 18 months). Some of the younger talent are finally coming through. Jordan Thorniley who was a relatively unknown bit player not so long ago, is now more or less a fixture (and a very good one at that).   Oh yes, sorry, I forgot, he came through the ranks. We didn't actually SIGN him so he doesn't count!!

Someone said earlier "Give the season a chance".  Hear Hear to that!

If it turns out to be a total shambles, THEN moan your little pathetic hearts out and we can all take our shoes off & lob em at DCs f******n car or whatever you're supposed to do.

Till then, stop acting like pre menstrual Prima Donna's, get behind them & show some f*****n back bone. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, room0035 said:

The whole fitness thing, is it not expected that every player of every team in the league the bare minimum expected is they are match fit come the first game of the season.

Not quite sure what you are trying to get at, to be honest. I guess the answer is obviously yes, but there seems to be a consensus that last season the squad was badly prepared. That's not just a matter of the newspaper gossip; it's what we witnessed with our own eyes.  (And contrasts incidentally with the 16-17 season where we were overall a bit disappointing in the opening months, but were getting lots of late goals, always a good sign).

4 minutes ago, thewookieisdown said:

Not quite sure what you are trying to get at, to be honest. I guess the answer is obviously yes, but there seems to be a consensus that last season the squad was badly prepared. That's not just a matter of the newspaper gossip; it's what we witnessed with our own eyes.  (And contrasts incidentally with the 16-17 season where we were overall a bit disappointing in the opening months, but were getting lots of late goals, always a good sign).

As professional footballers you expect basic and fitness one of them while it should aid reducing some strain injuries this season the players should not be patted on the back for making sure they are fit.

it's like congratulating a kid because he remembered his pens and pencils for school. 

1 hour ago, Bluesteel said:

Have i?

When CC arrived there was a feeling that we might struggle with a lot of foreign buys, we started poorly but made play offs.

When JOC and Jimmy Smith were the only signings, nailed on relegation was the feeling. But we finished mid table and had some good results with tudgay having a great season.

converseley last season expecting top six or even top two - bombed 

cream of the crop season- club openly aimed for playoffs - relegated 

hms pis the league - nearly end up in league 2

Lloyd owusu and Leon Knight season - plenty of goals between them and expected to have us toward the top half - relegated (I think?)

Premier league return ticket - bottom half 

promotion from league one- can we use the momentum - saved last day 

I would say some of that you are over egging it. The Premier League Return - did you really swallow that? CCs arrival we spent money on players for the first time in years. Mid table finish a huge success? Lloyd Owusu and Leon Knight - really? Really? 

The fact is barring the  Sturrock season every time we have got promoted since Big Jack there has been good cause to expect we would do well. 

Edited by rickygoo

7 minutes ago, rickygoo said:

I would say some of that you are over egging it. The Premier League Return - did you really swallow that? CCs arrival we spent money on players for the first time in years. Mid table finish a huge success? Lloyd Owusu and Leon Knight - really? Really? 

The fact is barring the  Sturrock season every time we have got promoted since Big Jack there has been good cause to expect we would do well. 

I think people did expect us to be up there after relegation to div one.

When we signed two strikers who had 40odd goals between them the previous season there was talk of the playoffs.

Generally speaking with the exception of CCs second season, our best seasons have come when there’s not been any real expectation at the outset. Since the millennium we’ve barely ever finished top half of the champ but 2/3 times it was more of a let’s see what happens feeling at this stage.

Edited by Bluesteel

2 minutes ago, room0035 said:

As professional footballers you expect basic and fitness one of them while it should aid reducing some strain injuries this season the players should not be patted on the back for making sure they are fit.

it's like congratulating a kid because he remembered his pens and pencils for school. 

It's not a matter of congratulation, or back patting. It's a simple argument that in fact we didn't seem to be properly fit at the start of last season. A better preparation this season will help - and gives us a reason to hope that the strong form over the final 12 matches can be continued.