Bannan out of contract next summer

13 hours ago, Lombado said:

Tough one this. I think keeping him with a risk of losing him for nowt is a risk worth taking.

If we go up he signs a new premier league contract....

Reminds me of the Brighton & Dale Stevens situation when they went up 

Not worth the risk to sell him. Say we got £10M for him as an example. We'd need to replace him with someone of similar quality (not many of those around) who also would like any player need to settle into the club. Bannan is one of the best midfielders in the league. We saw how good he was when he made his comeback. He's settled here and he's one of our top players, selling him for the sake of FFP only to have to replace him with a similar amount would be daft.

Edited by TomtheOwl95

Do people really think we’d get 8,9 I’ve even read 10m for Bannan? 

He’s an awesome player, makes us tick! But he has his limitations too, as well as almost out of contract. If we could get the above fees I’m sure he’d be gone. But I’d be shocked if anyone would offer more than £5m for a center mid that scores infrequently and doesn’t really tackle. 

19 minutes ago, Philb125 said:

Do people really think we’d get 8,9 I’ve even read 10m for Bannan? 

He’s an awesome player, makes us tick! But he has his limitations too, as well as almost out of contract. If we could get the above fees I’m sure he’d be gone. But I’d be shocked if anyone would offer more than £5m for a center mid that scores infrequently and doesn’t really tackle. 

Apart from lacking in goals, his few limitations are easily outweighed by what he brings to the table.  I do agree that eight million is optimistic but that is the kind of money which would be needed to replace him.  And he does make some very telling tackles.

1 minute ago, hugeowl said:

New contract .....no brainer .

Isn't he Jack Hunts big Buddy though  ?  

Might fancy a change too

Last season before his injury my Bristol supporting mates told me Bannan was their top January target. So it would not surprise me to see him follow Hunt there. 

5 minutes ago, Watson said:

Apart from lacking in goals, his few limitations are easily outweighed by what he brings to the table.  I do agree that eight million is optimistic but that is the kind of money which would be needed to replace him.  And he does make some very telling tackles.

I don’t really see him leaving, but in event that he does who would you like to replace him? 

Just now, Watson said:

I'd leave that to the OT scouting network, I can hardly name a player outside of the Wednesdays squad.  But someone like Shelvey. lol 

Shelvey be a marked improvement but outside of our reach I’d fear. Maybe Conner Hurihane? Villa seemingly desperate for cash and he cost them less than 8m if I remember correctly. 

You would have to assume that he wants to keep his options open. Like most, he is probably desperate to play in the Prem, I wouldn't be surprised if he waited to sign even if we offered a new deal to see how the first few months of the season pan out. 

What the club would do if a contract was on the table and not signed is anyone's guess.I think in these kind of situations, the best move is offer a new contract but with the understanding that if we don't go up this year and a prem club come in for him, we would let him go next summer.

Stops him running down his contract, stops us getting nervous and selling him cheap when he gets into last year and hopefully keeps the player happy.

13 minutes ago, Philb125 said:

Shelvey be a marked improvement but outside of our reach I’d fear. Maybe Conner Hurihane? Villa seemingly desperate for cash and he cost them less than 8m if I remember correctly. 

If we really want to get promoted, we need to be adding players like Hourihane to complement the better players we have. Not swapping out one good player for another.