Bannan out of contract next summer

As the title reads. 

No doubt he's a big earner, Bristol are supposedly showing an interest. Should we cash in now or risk losing him for free? 

We we should still be able to get £8/9m as things stand which would help with FFP and give Chansiri the chance to re invest. 

Tough decision as he's easily in the top 4/5 midfielders in the championship. 

£8/9m?? Really? For a player almost out of contract that seems optimistic. I don’t doubt he’s one of our better players but I don’t think he’s likely to fetch more than 5m if sold. Let’s hope he like a few others signs an extension, players on expiring contracts include: 

Westwood

Hooper

Jaoa

Bannan 

Lee

cant afford any of those to go on a free. So I’d expect extensions / departures! 

Him an Joao are the ones I'd hope we tie down to longer deals.

Bannan is the heartbeat of the team and Joao potential to be a good player and an asset in terms of transfer value rather than allowing him to leave for nothing.

If as a club we have not already been testing the waters in terms of a new deal form him then I would be amazed, dependent on how he responds to those initial discussions would be where we go in terms of next steps, but we do need to move quickly with a player of his quality as he will be in very high demand next season when his contract is up. 

I would be amazed if we do not offer him a new deal as in his time here there is no denying he has been a stand out performer and I do not know of one fan who would not want him to stay, it is basically his team in the midfield and he would be for me a guaranteed starter week in week out. On the basis of big Adthe getting a new contract because of his performances and what he does for the team, we would be crazy not to get this issue sorted ASAP if we have a few players leaving for the season that may free up some wages?

he'd be the last one i'd want to sell but if the finances dictate that we have to sell players to cut the wage bill then it makes sense to ship him out as he'll fetch in a goodly sum ……….. our transfer policy of giving long contracts to players past there best with little chance of them leaving before there contracts expire is really coming home to roost . 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, pgmetcalf said:

Suppose he has a bad season and shows no sign of better form?

Spot on. He's 31 soon, lets not get giddy and spunk more cash on somebodies last big contract.

Our fans really are an Agents dream.

• Haha 1

Surely by proposing cobtract renewal talks now you mitigate the risk? You don’t need to wait for his existing deal to end before offering a new one.

If he’s not interested you sell now.