Bannan out of contract next summer

Bannan is instrumental to our team - he makes things tick and the proof showed last season that results picked up significantly when he came back into the team.

I do think we rely on him too much though, and i think Abdi was brought in to offer cover and competition. As Abdi has been a miserable failure so far, it has put more pressure on Bannan and the team as a whole, making Bannan more valuable.

Bannan is what, one of 10 first team players out of contract next June. I think this season is shat or bust for them all - clearly the risk for the club in delaying contract talks until mid-season is if we are doing well it will have to pay more or risk losing them. 

5 minutes ago, londonowl said:

If we really want to get promoted, we need to be adding players like Hourihane to complement the better players we have. Not swapping out one good player for another.

I’m not sure stock piling good players is the answer if I’m honest. I think that was part of Carlos’s problems.... too many good players, not enough continuity. 

We already have the dilemma of any 2/3 (depending on set up) of BB, Lee, Hutch, Pessy, Jones, Abdi if fit. You’d want to add someone like Hurihane to that? Someone who’d arguably play every game? All about opinions but not for me. 

22 minutes ago, Philb125 said:

I’m not sure stock piling good players is the answer if I’m honest. I think that was part of Carlos’s problems.... too many good players, not enough continuity. 

We already have the dilemma of any 2/3 (depending on set up) of BB, Lee, Hutch, Pessy, Jones, Abdi if fit. You’d want to add someone like Hurihane to that? Someone who’d arguably play every game? All about opinions but not for me. 

No, Carlos' problem was stockpiling too many fair/decent players and not enough real quality.

Hourihane is better than (or at least more reliable than) everyone on your list except Bannan. Hutch, Lee and Abdi cannot be relied on to form the spine of our team. Yes, I would like to add Hourihane to the list which would give us Bannan, Pelepussy, Hourihane and Jones. Different types of players allowing for different systems and some element of rotation. Lee, Abdi and Hutch can fight their way into the team if they can get fit and if they do and we end up with too many, then we can choose who to let go.