Jack Baldwin

1 hour ago, gurujuan said:

Guess the fact that he’s 25 and has done nothing to attract attention from any of the better clubs, might put people off

He attracted Peterborough, club famed for picking up good lower league youngsters and making them into top 2 division stars.

Good enough for me.

It's not like he'd be an instant starter here if he came.

Edited by Birley Owl 1867

2 hours ago, gurujuan said:

Guess the fact that he’s 25 and has done nothing to attract attention from any of the better clubs, might put people off

How do you know he's never attracted attention?

How do you know he's not a late developer?

How many times have you seen him play?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, StudentOwl said:

Don't be daft lol 

I love this... every time there's any sniff of a transfer we don't like it's "Ooooh, bet it's that Doyen influence". I'm open to being corrected, but I doubt Doyen will have even heard of this lad, let alone got him as a client. Pretty clear what's going on here... the bloke is a CB/right back/defensive midfielder kind of player... that flexibility in where he can play says that he can play with the ball a little but is broadly defensive. Last season he played for Posh almost exclusively as a CB. And what whispers have we heard in the last 48 hours or so? That we missed out on Venancio.

IMO, he seems on paper like exactly the sort of style of player you'd want as a right centre back in a back 3. The only question is whether this is an "instead of" or an "as well as" to Venancio. My pessimistic guess is the former... put simply Fred was our first choice, Baldwin was our second. 

Quite incredible that we much malign the club for being slow in the transfer market, then when we get news that we've made enquiries about a defender within a day or two of getting rumours that we've missed out on one, some of the fanbase scream poor outside influence? Sounds like ruddy initiative to me. People seem to think we've got the money to be spending a couple of million on a CB. We don't. We might now we've got some sweet sweet Hunt money, but we also need to replace him with some of that cash too.

Great post. Good to see some rational thinking for once!

1 hour ago, ChansirisArmy said:

Sign league 1 players...youll end up 8n league 1...

or you could find a gem like Kieran lee and challenge for the play offs ……all that matters is  how good they are not where they came from .

Guest Willow Owl
1 hour ago, ChansirisArmy said:

Not done the blunts any harm

Fleck, Coutts, o conell for a start

Never seen this guy play.

However I am fed up of signing defenders that can’t defend, football players who can’t run and players that are not tough enough and disappear when going gets tough.

He is their captain so probably a leader on the pitch, if he is tough as nails and reasonably athletic and likes a tackle then give it a go if the price is right .

We need to toughen up.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, oldishowl said:

Never seen this guy play.

However I am fed up of signing defenders that can’t defend, football players who can’t run and players that are not tough enough and disappear when going gets tough.

He is their captain so probably a leader on the pitch, if he is tough as nails and reasonably athletic and likes a tackle then give it a go if the price is right .

We need to toughen up.

Excellent post.

2 hours ago, ChansirisArmy said:

Thats not 100% true though is it...Dele Ali if you want to be extreme but if you want to be more relevant you only have to look at where hooper started and played most of his career. Kieran Lee is another example.

if you look at other current championship players with successful records...assombalonga, you could go on for ages.

1 hour ago, torryowl said:

or you could find a gem like Kieran lee and challenge for the play offs ……all that matters is  how good they are not where they came from .

Completely agree, a certain Deli Ali hasn’t done so bad has he .

Guest addedtime
3 hours ago, ChansirisArmy said:

Tell that to the Blades.

4 hours ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

He hasn't even reached his prime yet. 

25 is no age in footy. I forgot though in the world of owlstalk, if they're over 21 they're prepping for their impending retirement.

I see your point, but you have to admit their potential for improvement at 25 is less than at 21. Sometimes you hit an undiscovered gem (Jamie Vardy or Rickie Lambert spring to mind) but overall the amount of improvement and value you can expect from older players is lower.

Guest wilyfox
4 minutes ago, ChansirisArmy said:

I know...but in the long run they will slide down the league if they don't sign a few proven higher level players..players like Baldwin are not up to it...Just another fox  ...and I'm not talking ginger fluffy scavenger.

Well excuse me! 

We don’t want to paying that sort of fee, or any sort of fee, for a 25 year old back up player If money can be spent on players, spend it on players who will improve the starting eleven Or young talents who can be developed for the future

6 hours ago, gurujuan said:

We might have a manager who can actually "coach" a player to improvement?

Not a "charisma" merchant that sky like.

46 minutes ago, Costello 77 said:

We might have a manager who can actually "coach" a player to improvement?

Not a "charisma" merchant that sky like.

Of course, however although there are plenty of examples of late bloomers, it’s not the norm