Hirst Snr

1 minute ago, Ash76 said:

That point’s as boring now as it was the first time it was ever made 

It's made in response to the "not another ... thread" post that obviously occurs more often than the point I'm repeating, so whose point do you think is more boring?

There are many examples of sporting legends that are not nice people. 

Ty Cobb was a legend of baseball but a truly awful human being by all accounts. 

As others have said we don’t know to what extent Hirst Snr brokered this deal. I will always hold him in the highest esteem for his achievements with us as a player but am not naive enough to think he would never go against the club. 

It’s well known he still bares a grudge for not getting his own big money move to Man Utd. It’s safe to say he won’t be seen around Hillsborough while DC is still chairman. At least you would think so anyway.

Whats done is done. Wouldn’t it be good if Boroukov went on to be a star and George ended up in the conference? 

Guest Ash76
1 minute ago, cowl said:

It's made in response to the "not another ... thread" post that obviously occurs more often than the point I'm repeating, so whose point do you think is more boring?

Considering you won’t shut up about it then I’d think you’re just edging it tbh 

41 minutes ago, DEH9 said:

I hope that my idol hasn't been involved in shafting my club.

I hope evidence comes out to suggest it was agent maneuvering and nowt more.  

I've never met many if my hero's. 

I've sometimes been in places where my heroes have walked in, and I have walked out because I couldn't bear it if their persons didn't live up to their myths. 

I might be a bit barmy like that. 

I want heroes to stay heroes. 

I was like this. Then I met him.

Total stroker, imho.

Sad but true.

Remember him on the pitch and nowt more.

3 minutes ago, Ash76 said:

Considering you won’t shut up about it then I’d think you’re just edging it tbh 

Two posts on the matter = "won't shut up about it"

Is your temperament really that delicate?

If you see a Hirst thread then why click on it if you don't want to read about it? It's really not difficult. If you can't handle a subject that many fans still clearly want to discuss then why make life hard for yourself?

The Hirst, sheridan and Pearson where the best years I remember being a Wednesday fan from being, I was around 12/13 so full of youthful exuberance for my football. 

Now as far as the Hirst snr /jnr situation. I can't help thinking the pressure was building up as he was maturing and scoring goals international level for under 18s and maybe the move to Belgium was about protecting his son from the goldfish bowl he was finding him in, take him over there where no one knows him and let him get first team appearances and develop without all the constant scrutiny and the "The messiah" pressure. They probably had a chat and decided to take him over there, we all know what happened to Pearson jnrs career, isn't he some where like Barnet now?? 

Edited by shezzas left peg

He was one of my football idols growing up (my first being Gary Bannister), don't blame him for looking after his son, but the underlying animosity that has surrounded this debacle is disappointing and my personal opinion is that the Hirst camp (including agents) are the main protagonists and does leave a sour taste. 

I have listened to Nigel Pearson speak about us on a number of occasions and didn't expect anything else from him, he speaks as if he couldn't give a throw about the club.

I expected better from Hirst, certainly would not welcome either of them back to Hillsborough after this, his legacy is tainted in my eyes.

Never met him or never wanted to meet him

Unbelievable natural talent which he didn't make the most of by not managing his fitness (and defenders continually kicking his calfs) . Wrong era?

Nothing on the pitch suggested he was a nice or a horrible person.  But I wouldn't be surprised either way.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, dc88 said:

Total stroker, imho.

Sad but true.

Don’t think that’s fair tbh. On the occasions I have been in his company I’ve always found him to be good fun and a very likeable bloke tbh. Truth is none of us know what’s actualy happened.

Guest Ash76
2 minutes ago, cowl said:

Two posts on the matter = "won't shut up about it"

Is your temperament really that delicate?

If you see a Hirst thread then why click on it if you don't want to read about it? It's really not difficult. If you can't handle a subject that many fans still clearly want to discuss then why make life hard for yourself?

3 posts :D

8 minutes ago, dc88 said:

Total stroker, imho.

Sad but true.

*puts fingers in ears

La la la la la la la I can't hear you 

8 minutes ago, dc88 said:

I still hope for a name clearing statement

But mebbe you're  right. 

• Like 1

Just a bloke. Being dragged along in a world that moves too quick for it's own good.

Just now, Plonk said:

Don’t think that’s fair tbh. On the occasions I have been in his company I’ve always found him to be good fun and a very likeable bloke tbh. Truth is none of us know what’s actualy happened.

I met a few times when he was a player because of my job.  Definitely one of the nicer players to deal with. I liked him.  The differences in opinion about him are bemusing. 

• Thanks 1

Guest Jack the Hat
31 minutes ago, steelcityowlsfan said:

There are many examples of sporting legends that are not nice people. 

Ty Cobb was a legend of baseball but a truly awful human being by all accounts. 

As others have said we don’t know to what extent Hirst Snr brokered this deal. I will always hold him in the highest esteem for his achievements with us as a player but am not naive enough to think he would never go against the club. 

It’s well known he still bares a grudge for not getting his own big money move to Man Utd. It’s safe to say he won’t be seen around Hillsborough while DC is still chairman. At least you would think so anyway.

Whats done is done. Wouldn’t it be good if Boroukov went on to be a star and George ended up in the conference? 

But there are also stories of sporting legends who are nice people and are a pride to the sport they played in. Like Diego Maradona.

5 minutes ago, Jack the Hat said:

But there are also stories of sporting legends who are nice people and are a pride to the sport they played in. Like Diego Maradona.

Let's ask the Nigerian fans what they think of him 

diego-maradona-slammed-by-fans-for-antics-during-argentinas-2-1-victory-over-nigeria.jpg

DH tarnished his reputation as a club legend when he openly said how desperate he was to sign for Man Utd. There was just no need to be so honest as it could only bring negativity about being a player at Wednesday. Shearer is often asked if he regrets not signing for Man Utd instead of Newcastle and he smiles and says it would have been nice to have a chance to win more trophies but he loves Newcastle and was happy going there. Perhaps Hirst is not very intelligent but it still wasn’t a wise move. I used to have a debate about whether Waddle or Hirst are my favourite player, I don’t have that problem anymore 

Edited by Southie_Owl

Guest Jack the Hat

I am also gutted. The thing that I am gutted about is that David Hirst doesn't want his son playing for us because there are better options. I totally agree there are much better options out there. We are a championship side with too many strikers. Because we have spent so long out of the prem we are no longer a big enough club for George to be playing in the reserves - and because of the strikers we have he is unlikely to get the breakthrough. He may fall flat on his face but he has to give it a try, or he will never know. Hirst senior regrets not playing for Man Utd and doesn't want George doing the same. I don't blame him for that at all. Still I am sad that I don't get to watch him develop into whatever striker he can be because his dad was simply fantastic - a complete striker.