Contracts

4 minutes ago, I'm an Essex Owl said:

This.

Would love Abdi to come good (he was outstanding at Watford) but I think it's a triumph for hope over expectation.

I will be wildly and perhaps ridiculously optimistic and say that if (despite all evidence to the contrary and  despite his injury history here) he gets a proper pre-season he can really contribute.

But if I were a gambling man I wouldn't put tuppence on it...

He's going to have to bust his balls pre season because he'll be down the pecking order at the moment. 

10 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

He's going to have to bust his balls pre season because he'll be down the pecking order at the moment. 

If we continue with this system, there won’t be a role for him He doesn’t have the energy levels, or defensive discipline to operate in a two man midfield

Think the finances are going to have a big influence on who stays and goes really.

Westwood - I’d keep if FFP wasn’t enforced, he’s absolutely quality for this league. But we’ve got two good keepers it seems now, so if he can free up funds I think he’d go.

Pudil - Like said above, rolling contract/1 year deals. Still quality and doesn’t need pace at CB anymore.

Fox - Sell or run down contract.

Hunt - If not astronomical wages then keep. Solid RB and RWB.

Palmer - Sell or run down.

Lee - Tough one. If we could get a fee for him I would let him go. Excellent player but cannot stay fit through a season. Again without FFP would keep.

Bannan - Must stay, try and tie down ASAP.

David Jones - Not sure, see how he does this season, like said above make or break. If we get an offer then tempted to sell.

Boyd - See Jones.

Abdi - Like what Snoots says, make or break for him this season. Nobody is going to come in for him with his injury history recently and it would be stupid to pay him off as it’d go to FFP anyway, might as well use him if we can.

Matias - See Abdi.

Hooper - See Lee.

Joao - I would keep, looks a different player under Jos.

Think loans are going to be the way forward next season. Got a good base of a squad and I think Jos will squeeze a lot more out of them than t’old Carlos.

On 5/10/2018 at 18:25, Watson said:

Keep 

• Keiran Westwood 

• Jack Hunt 

• Kieran Lee

• Barry Bannan 

• Almen Abdi 

• Marco Matias

• Gary Hooper 

• Lucas Joao

Allow to leave

• Daniel Pudil 

• Morgan Fox

• Liam Palmer 

• David Jones 

• George Boyd 

I'm sorry...but you'd keep Abdi and Matias - who have contributed flip all in their time here - and get rid of Pudil? 

Mental. 

Abdi, Matias have to go for me. 

I know Abdi was a great player at Watford, but it hasn't happened here and I highly doubt it will. 

As for Matias...when he came on the pitch last Sunday it suddenly dawned on me that he's been here for three years. 

Crazy. 

Just now, SiJ said:

I know Abdi was a great player at Watford, but it hasn't happened here and I highly doubt it will. 

As for Matias...when he came on the pitch last Sunday it suddenly dawned on me that he's been here for three years. 

Crazy. 

Agree, but we aren’t going to get any bidders realistically. If somebody wants to take them for free and have their wages then it shouldn’t need a second thought.

If they stay fit (as much chance as me getting fit) and have good seasons then who knows, but we are stuck with them for the moment so down to them really.

26 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

Agreed but that would be all we need. Another bloomin' injury. What is the recommended treatment for busted balls btw??:biggrin:

• Haha 1

I think we can all agree that Abdi, Jones, Boyd, Palmer and Fox are surplus to requirements. I’d get rid of Rhodes as well - he won’t be anywhere near next season when everyone gets fit.

However, I would be surprised if anyone comes in for any of them. Rhodes possibly given his previous record.

25 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

If we continue with this system, there won’t be a role for him He doesn’t have the energy levels, or defensive discipline to operate in a two man midfield

I wouldn't play him in a 2 man midfield.

Don't think Jos would either. 

But he  has said he'll be playing the different systems.

I think he'd revel in the hole behind he front pairing. In a 3-5-2. 

I don't think he'll be playing 3-4-3 every week.

1 minute ago, Lord Snooty said:

I wouldn't play him in a 2 man midfield.

Don't think Jos would either. 

But he  has said he'll be playing the different systems.

I think he'd revel in the hole behind he front pairing. In a 3-5-2. 

I don't think he'll be playing 3-4-3 every week.

Ye, agreed - he will use different systems next season. We look good going forward in a 3-4-3 but we lack control in the midfield and against better sides we will get dominated.  If we do go 3-5-2, I’d like to see Lee and Bannan ahead of a defensive midfielder before Abdi gets considered.

There will have to be a significant improvement in fitness, attitude and form for Abdi to make it in our team next year. I just don’t see it happening for him!

3 minutes ago, Bouncing Owl said:

Ye, agreed - he will use different systems next season. We look good going forward in a 3-4-3 but we lack control in the midfield and against better sides we will get dominated.  If we do go 3-5-2, I’d like to see Lee and Bannan ahead of a defensive midfielder before Abdi gets considered.

There will have to be a significant improvement in fitness, attitude and form for Abdi to make it in our team next year. I just don’t see it happening for him!

Me either. But while ever he's under contract we have to hope otherwise it's just pissin money away.

Strong agree about the three.

Bannan                Lee

Hutchinson 

Was the glaring answer to our lack of a beast since early in carlos' reign. Why he only did it a couple of times I have no idea. 

Joey looks like he may take the mantle of the sitting player. Jos does seem to have have a lot of trust in the boy.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

Me either. But while ever he's under contract we have to hope otherwise it's just pissin money away.

Hutchinson 

Was the glaring answer to our lack of a beast since early in carlos' reign. Why he only did it a couple of times I have no idea. 

Joey looks like he may take the mantle of the sitting player. Jos does seem to have have a lot of trust in the boy.

Unsure whether Joey has it in him to play a sitting role on his own, he may lack the aggressive oompf for it that someone like Hutch would possess. Probably more comfortable in a two, but maybe he'd surprise me. The big plus with the midfield 3 you've highlighted with Joey instead of Hutch is that he's more mobile... that midfield 3 would probably be one of the highest working and "busy" in the league... lots of henergy*. It's an alternative midfield 3 to having Forestieri in it... good for when he needs a rest or we want a slight change of tactical approach. One thing's for sure, I have faith that Jos will see the benefits of these personnel in the above shape when he sees them in action in training... and it's another string to our bow and the flexibility of approach we could take. Always a good thing.

*It's about this point in writing the post I realise how much I bloody miss Kieran Lee and really hope he's back for August :sad:

37 minutes ago, SiJ said:

Crazy. 

His injury record has been poor, no doubt about it. 

But, there is no doubt, he's a very talented lad. And, if we continue to use the 3-4-3 system, he's a fantastic option to have in the wide forward positions. 

If Matias can stay fit, and it's a huge if, he could have a big role to play next season. Jos clearly likes him. He's utilised him much more than Carlos did when he's been fit. 

8 minutes ago, Bouncing Owl said:

He has said that yes, but to operate several different systems This would mean having an array of different options in midfield  For example, we’d have to have 4 or 5 all rounders, players with energy who can do a job defensively, and getting on the front foot, when playing in a two

If we wanted to play a three with a defensive shield, then a defensive midfielder, and an understudy would be needed Ditto if use someone like Abdi playing behind a pair of strikers

Then what of wingers? Will we have wingers as an option, either for a different system, or as impact substitutes 

To play all these different systems, you’d probably require a dozen midfielders

Of course, the more players you have who can adapt to different roles, the less players you need

9 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

Hutchinson 

That would definitely be the best midfield 3 if all were fit. Like you say, they are all players who suit playing in a midfield 3.

I hope Joey improves next season and can play that defensive role. His attitude is spot on and you can tell he has leadership skills but he isn’t at the level yet to play in a playoff team. Let’s hope he was acclimatising to championship football and he can hit the ground running next season. 

3 minutes ago, frastheowl said:

His injury record has been poor, no doubt about it. 

But, there is no doubt, he's a very talented lad. And, if we continue to use the 3-4-3 system, he's a fantastic option to have in the wide forward positions. 

If Matias can stay fit, and it's a huge if, he could have a big role to play next season. Jos clearly likes him. He's utilised him much more than Carlos did when he's been fit. 

Very much this