Jon Newsome "I feel we can start the game with a better and higher tempo"

7 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

The idea is for people to read the clip and then go read the full article

It's dead simple really

I would have thought that you've been running Owlstalk long enough to know that something being "dead simple" doesn't mean that the typical Owlstalker will do it. This thread seems to offer proof that they don't as most comments relate entirely to your clip.

Instead of a clip, how about just saying "interesting piece from Jon Newsome in the star today: here's the link"

25 minutes ago, Tamworthowl said:

I would have thought that you've been running Owlstalk long enough to know that something being "dead simple" doesn't mean that the typical Owlstalker will do it.

ha ha very true

That's not my fault or issue though

I don't like to spoonfeed people. It's up to them to use their own brains

Owlstalk Shop

When Tom Lees was interviewed by Radio Sheffield - he boldly stated that when he was at Leeds it would be two weeks before they even saw a football during pre-season. Yet on day one of our pre-season they were doing ball work. This must have been two years ago - as we went into another play-off acheiving season.

Though for me what Jon says is irrelevant whether you agree with him or not. What is relevant, is that from the very earliest times he was invited to be a pundit during matches, or via his advertisement column, he has had a clear and sinister agenda against the management and club.

It culminated during the QPR game in which he revelled in our catastrophic start - highlighting more on Holloways animated presence and making comparisons to how Jos conducts himself, as if the two were a clear indication as to why we were 3-0 down after 15 minutes. Despite being an SWFC pundit I still expect a level of objectivity and context in his analysis - but theres none. He has been critical of the chairman, manager and players without ever suggesting neutrality and only scant hints of positivity.

His click-bait style of punditry (that conveniantly ties in with his column being sponsored) is growing tiresome, trivial and hampering a growing sense of unity within the club. I always found John Pearson's tone to be somewhat twee but listening to Newsome is like when you get stuck with the weird cousin at a family party who has beef with his next door neighbour - theres no real danger that he's going to go round and sort so tells everyone else about it instead.

I'd have more respect if he just came out and said exactly what he thinks, for his opinions are not what bothers me, but his barely repressed struggle between acting as the prickly pundit but wanting to smooth his way to a possible car sale is grating. It's the very worst of hypocrisy.

1 minute ago, Arthur Bach said:

Though for me what Jon says is irrelevant whether you agree with him or not. What is relevant, is that from the very earliest times he was invited to be a pundit during matches, or via his advertisement column, he has had a clear and sinister agenda against the management and club.

Jon Newsome in a terrible season with some shocking football, disappointing results and horrendous management (until recently) criticises it and says what everyone else is saying/thinking and gets accused of this

Amazing

lol

Owlstalk Shop

3 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Jon Newsome in a terrible season with some shocking football, disappointing results and horrendous management (until recently) criticises it and says what everyone else is saying/thinking and gets accused of this

Amazing

lol

He's not the only one.

But you only hear from them when we've lost.

6 hours ago, NYowl said:

Agree totally

A strange one this as we were also slow out of the blocks under Carlos, can't believe both managers were coaching this.

Maybe need to look at our overall preparation for games.

Comes down to fitness and the players knowing they can play at high tempo for 90 minutes, which at the moment I don't think they do.

3 minutes ago, Arthur Bach said:

He's not the only one.

But you only hear from them when we've lost.

Jon Newsome has a weekly column and publishes his thoughts every week

So that means when we win as well as is evidenced in recent weeks when he's praised the upturn in results, better management, and better performances

Keep trying...

lol

Owlstalk Shop

2 hours ago, Pale Rider said:

Said it before, slow starts are not due to fitness, its tactics. We try to keep it tight and feel our way into games, not condoning it, just pointing it out. Teams lacking fitness fade in games. 

Can't agree with that not in the slightest, if a player is not fit enough to play a high tempo game then he will try and preserve his self for the entire 90 minutes and not make the runs that require more fitness.

3 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Jon Newsome has a weekly column and publishes his thoughts every week

So that means when we win as well as is evidenced in recent weeks when he's praised the upturn in results, better management, and better performances

Keep trying...

lol

The bedwetting that has occurred this season has made some of our fans and the general club look silly, the asking for season ticket refunds and when he gave them what they wanted it wasn't quite in their favour etc etc. Jon Newsome is a Wednesdayite and I think his views are balanced and well presented and what people forget is he ain't a journo.

I have spoken to him on numerous occasions and he wants what we all want promotion and a good club to boot.

Just now, soldierboyblue said:

The bedwetting that has occurred this season has made some of our fans and the general club look silly, the asking for season ticket refunds and when he gave them what they wanted it wasn't quite in their favour etc etc. Jon Newsome is a Wednesdayite and I think his views are balanced and well presented and what people forget is he ain't a journo.

I have spoken to him on numerous occasions and he wants what we all want promotion and a good club to boot.

100%

The thing with Jon is that he's so much 'one of us' it makes him stand out

He's not a 100% positive no matter what pundit. He says it as he (and all of us usually) see's it 

In previous season's our fans have been able to handle that no problem and even mocked fans of other clubs for spitting dummies out over articles, opinions, radio presenter comments etc but this season our fans have been nuts to the point of embarrassing.

Owlstalk Shop

10 minutes ago, soldierboyblue said:

Can't agree with that not in the slightest, if a player is not fit enough to play a high tempo game then he will try and preserve his self for the entire 90 minutes and not make the runs that require more fitness.

I agree, there has been some serious mismanagement behind the scenes with regards fitness and conditioning of the players. It's not the current managers fault as he has just inherited a bad situation. But it's astounding how unfit our players seem. You clearly don't get the injuries we have had this year if the players are fit and looked after properly do you? I Just hope this problem (which shouldn't happen at this level) can be addressed in pre-season and we have fit players that can last an entire championship season next year.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, soldierboyblue said:

So you believe management is telling the players to start at an high tempo and they are thinking fizz that I’m not fit enough. Interesting. 

Grumpy old git.

Never satisfied.

Always about 100 times quicker to find fault than sing praises, except when he wants to slate a rival by comparison.

Struggles with the very concept of optimism, maybe even worries it’s somehow a bit ‘soft’.

Fully expects lightning to strike repeatedly at every turn.

Never quite believes, in his heart of hearts, that things are ever going to properly click for us - and wouldn’t even really have clue how to feel about it if they ever did.

Which they won’t.

Which annoys him even more.

Wednesdayite through and through.

4 hours ago, Pale Rider said:

So you believe management is telling the players to start at an high tempo and they are thinking fizz that I’m not fit enough. Interesting. 

Interesting indeed sounds like a foreword to Chris Waddles Autobiography !!

(Not your Post P/R, Soldierboyblues post that you quoted )

lol

Edited by OWLERTON GHOST

Guest Ash76

And this man used to be a professional footballer, i bet he once attended a chess match and sat moaning it wasn't finished in just a couple of moves.

The bloke's a full blown bell end

13 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Article says something everyone is thinking
Article gets slammed

Are you his agent?

He poo his potful last week and showed himself up for the expert he is.

Needs to crawl back under whichever rock he was hiding under and let someone who has a bit more knowledge, insight and respect take up the position rather than a jumped up, clapped out, cockfaced, shitstirring ex player who has been neither seen nor heard for many, many years in or around anything to do with Wednesday.

Boring, miserabletwat.

11 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

This season has been the year of our fans squealing like spoilt babies whenever an article is published, regardless of who the author is.

Forget cakeball, the anniversary, carlos getting booted out etc

This season has been the year that our fans started acting like little babies when they read any press articles or hearing any opinion on the radio from a pundit or commentator

What I don’t get is, why you’d post it knowing full well it’ll get slack, then moan about it? 

13 hours ago, AwokenGiant said:

Think it’s idealistic to think that a team can start every game the same. Think it’s naive to think that that’s not what most teams try to achieve (ie a high tempo), but in reality it’s not that simple.  

For example, I think it would be both foolish and defeatist to say to a team before the game: “today lads I think we should start with a slow-tempo (both with or without the ball)” 

I don’t think either our players or management would be competing at their level if this was their philosophy. 

Come on - it’s not a v thought out article

Exactly.