Jon Newsome "I feel we can start the game with a better and higher tempo"

Former #SWFC defender Jon Newsome shares his thoughts in his latest Sheffield Star article

It may seem to be a really minor detail here especially in a game where we ran out comfortable winners but I feel we can start the game with a better and higher tempo. When we play with tempo and are positive we are a lot better outfit.

I am sure it isn’t just me that can see that if we score the first goal we visibly grow in confidence and on many occasions play far more positive and attacking football.

I would love us to stretch that oppositions back four early in he game, get them turned around and pin them in their own half. 

Read more at: https://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-wednesday/few-worse-insults-than-to-say-a-player-is-on-the-beach-jon-newsome-s-sheffield-wednesday-column-1-9133624

Owlstalk Shop

6 minutes ago, jonnyowl said:

Every fan has been saying this for two seasons!

Only Carlos and Jos don't see this!

managers are there to get results not pander to the wishes of fans & journalists, if they think keeping it tight early on is the way to achieve good results which in carlos's case it did for 2 years and lately the same with jos then it's probably justified .

4 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Article says something everyone is thinking
Article gets slammed

Ha it been said a million times though .dont get your fetish with john newsome

Think it’s idealistic to think that a team can start every game the same. Think it’s naive to think that that’s not what most teams try to achieve (ie a high tempo), but in reality it’s not that simple.  

For example, I think it would be both foolish and defeatist to say to a team before the game: “today lads I think we should start with a slow-tempo (both with or without the ball)” 

I don’t think either our players or management would be competing at their level if this was their philosophy. 

Come on - it’s not a v thought out article

Edited by AwokenGiant
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Article says something everyone is thinking
Article gets slammed

I hear you, at the same time it does seem like a cut and paste job. Looking forward to his column next week where he drops the bombshell that we should be playing in stripes!! lol

13 minutes ago, AwokenGiant said:

Think it’s idealistic to think that a team can start every game the same. Think it’s naive to think that that’s not what most teams try to achieve (ie a high tempo), but in reality it’s not that simple.  

For example, I think it would be both foolish and defeatist to say to a team before the game: “today lads I think we should start with a slow-tempo (both with or without the ball)” 

I don’t think either our players or management would be competing at their level if this was their philosophy. 

Come on - it’s not a v thought out article

Agree, although there have been plenty of games under CC especially where our lack of tempo handed the initiative to the opposites and we never got a foothold in the game as a result.

6 minutes ago, Junk Smuggler said:

Wasn't it said that under Carlos our pre season would involve more ball/technical work than fitness? 

Thats what was said, not sure what’s right or wrong but the team do look fitter now whatever the reason.