10 hours ago, Wakefield owl said:

Maybe but the other strikers have coped better than Rhodes.

rhodes may have been the one most short changed by our 'drag ourselves forward at the speed of molasses in winter' policy, when you look at nuhiu, hooper, and fletcher, none of them are built for 'the chase'. 

all our forwards game may well have been blunted by our lack of expedience.

But two widemen can leave you short in the middle of the park.

they'd be required to tuck inside when not involved in the attack, it's not the 1950's.

rhodes may have been the one most short changed by our 'drag ourselves forward at the speed of molasses in winter' policy, when you look at nuhiu, hooper, and fletcher, none of them are built for 'the chase'. 

they'd be required to tuck inside when not involved in the attack, it's not the 1950's.

I just don't like this type of striker, Rush, Lineker just turn up in the box to score but do little else. IMO its fine if you've got 9 other great players doing the work but I think big Dave is all round a more useful player, offering similar pace to Rhodes, but he bullies defenders, Rhodes will never do that. I guess the question is can we afford a player who just turns up occasionally to score or do we need more contribution in the build up? I guess only Jos will decide. I'd happily let Rhodes go if we got half his fee back.

Guest Kagoshimaowl
13 hours ago, Wakefield owl said:

I totally agree. 4-4-2 is a totally outdated system that doesn’t work in modern day football.  Games are won and lost in midfield, especially in the Championship.  For me, the present 3-5-2 or 4-2-3-1 are the best formations. At the moment we can only play 3 at the back.

Rhodes record suggests that if a chance comes along he buries a good percentage of them sadly for him he's joined a club that since he arrived play a system that doesn't create that many chances .......he's a goalscorer who  hasn't got another string to his bow to warrant a place ahead of players like hooper,joao,FF who have the ability  to  create there own chances 

11 hours ago, torryowl said:

Rhodes record suggests that if a chance comes along he buries a good percentage of them sadly for him he's joined a club that since he arrived play a system that doesn't create that many chances .......he's a goalscorer who  hasn't got another string to his bow to warrant a place ahead of players like hooper,joao,FF who have the ability  to  create there own chances 

The justification for such a luxury (and as it turns out, reckless) signing was to improve the rate at which we converted those chances in the first place. Yet ALL of our other strikers (just the 6 of them) have outscored Rhodes comprehensively on a pro rata basis since he arrived last January. I don't think it's good enough as an explanation to just feebly offer that we're not creating enough when everyone else has been scoring at a decent rate. Even Kieran Lee isn't that far behind Rhodes' strike rate.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

The justification for such a luxury (and as it turns out, reckless) signing was to improve the rate at which we converted those chances in the first place. Yet ALL of our other strikers (just the 6 of them) have outscored Rhodes comprehensively on a pro rata basis since he arrived last January. I don't think it's good enough as an explanation to just feebly offer that we're not creating enough when everyone else has been scoring at a decent rate. Even Kieran Lee isn't that far behind Rhodes' strike rate.

That's exactly what Torry said.

• Haha 1

We don’t play to his style. Reach, Boyd and Hunt aren’t consistent enough with the crossing. For Rhodes to work, you have to keep putting the ball into the box. If Rhodes played for the pigs instead of Clarke, he’d have 30+ with their style. I feel sorry for the lad. He’s had far too much pressure and his confidence has been knocked. I would keep him! Fletcher and Winnall can leave for me.

14 minutes ago, Dylan93 said:

We don’t play to his style. Reach, Boyd and Hunt aren’t consistent enough with the crossing. For Rhodes to work, you have to keep putting the ball into the box. If Rhodes played for the pigs instead of Clarke, he’d have 30+ with their style. I feel sorry for the lad. He’s had far too much pressure and his confidence has been knocked. I would keep him! Fletcher and Winnall can leave for me.

I don't see how we can keep saying that, the other strikers have coped better. Many used to say when we create chances he will score but what actually has happened is that he has missed quite a few straight forward chances.

Edited by Wakefield owl

On 23/04/2018 at 12:01, Holmowl said:

I’d love to see Jordan look the part v Wolves and Norwich, and make life even harder for Jos and DC over the Summer. 

I think we have a massive (fantastic) quandary over the Summer. A year ago most of us would have shrugged off Joao and Nuhiu leaving, but not now. They are probably the hottest partnership in the division and must start on August 11th. 

Hooper is one of the best strikers in the division. Fletcher is quality at this level, and if Jos can work on and protect their legs they can be superb for us next season. 

If Jordan can make Jos fancy him over the next two games he has one heck of a dilemma.

And that’s without mentioning Fernando, though it does appear that Jos sees him in a wider, deeper role praise the Lord.

Lets hope they start together August 4th too 

On 26/04/2018 at 20:51, DJMortimer said:

i'm not sure 'everyone else was scoring at a decent rate', unless it was a 'decent rate' for a side dwelling too long on the ball and showing no urgency at getting it forward.

Rhodes strikes me as being intelligent, a thinking person, and that's not always a good way to be in this game.

You think about things too deeply, think about consequences, and then when you start hesitating in front of goal ...

I think his confidence was very low before he even arrived.

Up front alone, and in a bob side by PL standards.

Carlos then compounded the problem by not playing to his strengths.