Resting players

1 minute ago, Belfast Owl 2 said:

So we have no chance on Saturday like we did v Derby

lol

So we have more chance of beating Villa than Millwall? 

Read my post again please and reply accordingly... 

Edited by ramone
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, ramone said:

So we have more chance of beating Villa than Millwall? 

Read my post again please and reply accordingly... 

With Millwalls home form the game was tougher than many thought.

And yeah we have every chance of beating them if we play like we do v Derby

Dont tell me how to reply btw 

1 minute ago, Belfast Owl 2 said:

With Millwalls home form the game was tougher than many thought.

And yeah we have every chance of beating them if we play like we do v Derby

Dont tell me how to reply btw 

Reply properly then... As you have done in this reply. Well done

Millwall are in decent form but i'd fancy us to get a win there over a win against a resurgent Villa. Just my opinion of course. 

9 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Exactly.

I've always been against the idea that you need to rest players. Sides at the top keep their best 11 most weeks. It's a cop out. Nobody can tell me that Joao couldn't manage at least a half today. Nobody can tell me 21 year old Sean Clare couldn't play the full 90 tonight. 

I think Carlos has left us with some fitness issues, they won’t be solved in a short time in winter.

Guest Kagoshimaowl

Sorry but this is all a load of bull!!  Sure, rest a few players.  I would have rested the 30 year olds who played on Saturday: Boyd, Wallace and Pudil but wait, who did he rest? Sean Clare and Joao!  Two players who played a grand total of ten minutes between them on Saturday.  Jos hasn't got a clue!!

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

I think some of our fans are off their heads if they think we can just play all our top currently fit players every game over the coming weeks

We can't

There's too many games in quick succession

The Championship is like a high speed bullet train. Our players are stood on the platform. If we shove them in front of the train week in week out they're gonna get mangled

Let Jos do his job

In full agreement....but to start with no recognised stikers was odd to say the least.

Surely giving Nuhiu and Joao 45 minutes each would not have worn them out.

Jos like Carlos does not like the idea of playing Saturday/Tuesday on a regular basis but its the British way in the Championship and below.

Interestingly Milwall named an unchaged side and managed to come on strongly in the second half.

2 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

I think some of our fans are off their heads if they think we can just play all our top currently fit players every game over the coming weeks

We can't

There's too many games in quick succession

The Championship is like a high speed bullet train. Our players are stood on the platform. If we shove them in front of the train week in week out they're gonna get mangled

Let Jos do his job

Whilst we will have our opinions , yes !!! 

2 hours ago, matthefish2002 said:

To me think managers and coaches try to be too clever at times with all this squad rotation and game management malarkey .

Carlos Carvahaul was certainly guilty of that and it seems new bloke is as well.

Just play your best side and worry about next match day after.

Spot on. I think you need to be playing todays games, not next weekends.

I think there’s a lot to say for a settled side. By all means tweak it a little for tactical reasons or if someone is carrying a knock or has genuinely run themselves into the ground just a few days previously, but if you’ve got a group of players who are in form and performing well as a team then I see no sense in making wholesale changes.

One of my frustrations with Carlos was that he was still doing it 2-1/2 years into the job. Jos gets credit for a) the current injury crisis and b) still being on a learning curve, but I still think he tinkers too much and I’m starting to worry that it’s indicative of the way he’s going to be rather than just a temporary phase. I hope I’m wrong and that he’ll eventually find and stick with a winning formula.

Edited by Roy Of The Roasters

Rotation is a sensible thing to do when you have adequate replacements available within the squad.

Rotation is not fine when you have no one to come in. 

I'm not sure I've ever seen a side set up without any strikers on the pitch when 2 perfectly good ones are sat on the bench (ok maybe very occasionally from a tactical perspective). 

At the very least one has to say it was a very strange choice from Jos. Let's hope the results against villa and Swansea justify it.

Guest Bulgaria
4 hours ago, vulture_squadron said:

I'm assuming Reach, Pudil, Joao, Nuhiu etc are being saved for Villa and Swansea.

Can understand fans being annoyed they travelled to Millwall on a Tuesday night to see no strikers in the line up but if it wasn't for dodgy defending we'd have another point or 3.

We've got used to seeing the same team playing week in week out more or less this last year and a half but now all those players are injured. Coincidence?

Jos says he's managing the players to keep them healthy. I'm all for it. 

The very notion that our manager is saving our players for Swansea is ridiculous. I would love this to be the case, but seriously?

If he wanted to beat Swansea he would have played his full strength team last Saturday.

Guest Bulgaria
1 hour ago, Blatter said:

In full agreement....but to start with no recognised stikers was odd to say the least.

Surely giving Nuhiu and Joao 45 minutes each would not have worn them out.

Jos like Carlos does not like the idea of playing Saturday/Tuesday on a regular basis but its the British way in the Championship and below.

Interestingly Milwall named an unchaged side and managed to come on strongly in the second half.

How anyone could disagree with this is beyond me.

4 hours ago, vulture_squadron said:

I'm assuming Reach, Pudil, Joao, Nuhiu etc are being saved for Villa and Swansea.

Can understand fans being annoyed they travelled to Millwall on a Tuesday night to see no strikers in the line up but if it wasn't for dodgy defending we'd have another point or 3.

We've got used to seeing the same team playing week in week out more or less this last year and a half but now all those players are injured. Coincidence?

If I was going to rest players it'd be during the game against Villa. We'd struggle to beat Villa even with a first choice (as much as any team can be first choice ATM with our injuries) team but three points were there for the taking last night if we had a striker out on the pitch.

They'd then also be fresh for Swansea, the biggest game of the week IMO. 

I get the  Bannan 2 games in a week comment but it's 6 games in under 3 weeks and look at the state of Bannan now. Played injured and now out long term.

Good point about Millwall though and their consistent selection. I'm sure Jos would pick his strongest 11 every game if he felt they could cope.

Also, I think you have to prioritise home games if you have to prioritise. More fans watching and better chance of winning. We're better against top teams anyway!

5 hours ago, vulture_squadron said:

Totally agree mate .