#SWFC Summer 2018 Transfer Window Rumours Thread

1 hour ago, owls maniac said:

With our budget restrictions mid table wouldn’t be a disaster. It’s going to take another two windows before we start to get the squad in shape again. 

Perhaps though it raises the question of how our fanbase will react to another season of mid table football when they continue to pay sky high prices. Especially in light of the survey results about continued investment. I'm not sure everyone would see mid table as acceptable.

From the general mood on here it does seem like people expect Jos to work miracles with what we have. I love the optomism but personally I just don't see it. 

17 minutes ago, NorthernOwl said:

Perhaps though it raises the question of how our fanbase will react to another season of mid table football when they continue to pay sky high prices. Especially in light of the survey results about continued investment. I'm not sure everyone would see mid table as acceptable.

From the general mood on here it does seem like people expect Jos to work miracles with what we have. I love the optomism but personally I just don't see it. 

Oh well, console yourself what happened the following season the last time England got to the semi-final of the World Cup and the eventual winners were managed by someone who also won it as a player plus we also have Hull City as our first home game. All points towards promotion for me. Sadly we’ll come straight back down as we always get relegated when there is a nought at the end of the year :duntmatter:

38 minutes ago, NorthernOwl said:

Fair point

But in the midst of this transitional phase, whilst we stabilise the budget we're unlikely to drop prices until we have alternative income to offset the losses 

We went for the quick win and failed, its going to take a few years to change the business model at the club and with that will come a dip in attendances

3 hours ago, gurujuan said:

If Jos was being honest, and any arrivals will be in that age bracket, then that definitely rules out Jordan Hugill Might also explain why we backed out of the Venancio deal as well

Venancio was simple we don't have any money.

If we had signed him for the £800,000 they wanted and his salary would not have been as much as other similar squad players, we could have been selling him on for £4-5m in 12 months time, that's good business sense but we never seem to see these deals only the silly deals for the over the hill/ one last big payday players.

From everything happening I don't blame Jos, Simple DC has run the club very badly for 3 years building up big debts and a wage bill approaching £30m with turnovers of £23m we cannot keep running at losses like these. We have to cut back some of the big earners and hope we get a few gems come through fro the under 23's. 

Wildsmith/Dawson development will have saved us a few million in not need a new keeper, Thorniley means we don't need to replace Loovens, Baker could mean we don't need to replace Hunt.

My only worry is if we get one or two injuries to left back, right back or right wing we either have to rely on kids or play others out of position. Not exactly the continued levels of investment promised to the fans with the high prices. But DC is not bother he has our money now.

2 hours ago, owls maniac said:

With our budget restrictions mid table wouldn’t be a disaster. It’s going to take another two windows before we start to get the squad in shape again. 

Are you happy to pay top 3 prices to watch mid-table football?

10 minutes ago, BRUCE LEE said:

Fair point

But in the midst of this transitional phase, whilst we stabilise the budget we're unlikely to drop prices until we have alternative income to offset the losses 

We went for the quick win and failed, its going to take a few years to change the business model at the club and with that will come a dip in attendances

Sure but it makes you wonder why chansiri linked the high prices to continued investment when he's not in a position to deliver it. 

41 minutes ago, Great Big Galaa said:

Oh well, console yourself what happened the following season the last time England got to the semi-final of the World Cup and the eventual winners were managed by someone who also won it as a player plus we also have Hull City as our first home game. All points towards promotion for me. Sadly we’ll come straight back down as we always get relegated when there is a nought at the end of the year :duntmatter:

A bit like every time we have won anything we have played in blue and white strips so to celebrate the club, the fans and the team, our chairman changes the kit to the Ipswich kit.

I understand the sentiment but I currently do not think DC has learnt anything from the numerous mistakes he has made and continues to make such as the joke around the kits not be able to be bought some 2-3 weeks before the season starts. 

1 minute ago, NorthernOwl said:

Sure but it makes you wonder why chansiri linked the high prices to continued investment when he's not in a position to deliver it. 

No want to say what everyone is thinking he played us?

9 minutes ago, room0035 said:

Venancio was simple we don't have any money.

If we had signed him for the £800,000 they wanted and his salary would not have been as much as other similar squad players, we could have been selling him on for £4-5m in 12 months time, that's good business sense but we never seem to see these deals only the silly deals for the over the hill/ one last big payday players.

From everything happening I don't blame Jos, Simple DC has run the club very badly for 3 years building up big debts and a wage bill approaching £30m with turnovers of £23m we cannot keep running at losses like these. We have to cut back some of the big earners and hope we get a few gems come through fro the under 23's. 

Wildsmith/Dawson development will have saved us a few million in not need a new keeper, Thorniley means we don't need to replace Loovens, Baker could mean we don't need to replace Hunt.

My only worry is if we get one or two injuries to left back, right back or right wing we either have to rely on kids or play others out of position. Not exactly the continued levels of investment promised to the fans with the high prices. But DC is not bother he has our money now.

Yeh he must be raking it in :tango:

Just now, hugeowl said:

Yeh he must be raking it in :tango:

All the fans are paying very high prices for this league and everyone say the same thing ' Continued investment in the team' but since the end of last season, all the season tickets bought we have signed no players and offload Loovens, Wallace, Butterfield, Venancio, Kean, Clare, Hirst, Hunt, Rhodes - yes some had to go but they have not been replace only with under 23 development players, we may have a few gems coming through, but with teams trying to win promotion they need experience players in key areas, goalkeeper, center back, central midfield, center forward - we look fine in the middle and up front but many fans want Westwood sold leaving  only two kids as cover and if Tom Lees get injured again which he has for each of the last 3 seasons, missing at least 11 games every season, then what do we have to marshal the defense Pudil a convert left back, or one of the kids.

Last season we had a leader and unofficial club captain at the back bringing the kids on and providing a solid base in Venancio but we have decided to not sign him for one reason or another.

I like what Jos is doing giving youth a chance and we as fans try to give as much as we can to the club, but I also think the communication from the club us dreadful and fans should not be mislead, if we are close to FFP, then let us know, at least we won't be then asking the same question day in day out why no new signings.

If fans have been sold tickets on the proviso that we are aiming for promotion then it comes out we are in fact happy with being above the relegation zone, this is going to damage the club for years to come - we all remember the dark days of Dave Allen and do not wish them to return. 

33 minutes ago, NorthernOwl said:

Putting the misguided acquisition of Rhodes to one side, the majority of the players he invested his and our money on are still with the club, so from his point of view he's still paying their wages and working towards the original promotion plan

As soon as we see the likes of Forestieri, Bannan, Lees, Hooper and Reach leave the club then I think we have grounds to start asking those questions

I think most would admit that scenario is likely but as we move forward into this season, who knows what can be achieved

The real cross road comes next summer

Edited by BRUCE LEE

18 minutes ago, room0035 said:

All the fans are paying very high prices for this league and everyone say the same thing ' Continued investment in the team' but since the end of last season, all the season tickets bought we have signed no players and offload Loovens, Wallace, Butterfield, Venancio, Kean, Clare, Hirst, Hunt, Rhodes - yes some had to go but they have not been replace only with under 23 development players, we may have a few gems coming through, but with teams trying to win promotion they need experience players in key areas, goalkeeper, center back, central midfield, center forward - we look fine in the middle and up front but many fans want Westwood sold leaving  only two kids as cover and if Tom Lees get injured again which he has for each of the last 3 seasons, missing at least 11 games every season, then what do we have to marshal the defense Pudil a convert left back, or one of the kids.

Last season we had a leader and unofficial club captain at the back bringing the kids on and providing a solid base in Venancio but we have decided to not sign him for one reason or another.

I like what Jos is doing giving youth a chance and we as fans try to give as much as we can to the club, but I also think the communication from the club us dreadful and fans should not be mislead, if we are close to FFP, then let us know, at least we won't be then asking the same question day in day out why no new signings.

If fans have been sold tickets on the proviso that we are aiming for promotion then it comes out we are in fact happy with being above the relegation zone, this is going to damage the club for years to come - we all remember the dark days of Dave Allen and do not wish them to return. 

We are probably relying on the loan market this season in which case we have about 6 weeks left. 

We will be trying to offload as many of the unwanted players that we can until then. Abdi and Jones look like they may be two of them. But that will be hard enough as it is without letting everyone know that we in FFP peril and that everyone could be available at a knock down price.

We are doing it the sensible way this time because we have to be more sensible. 

Hopefully we have learnt our lessons from the Carlos era of seeing Helan retire then instantly going out to replace him with a player on one of the highest wages at the club to then only give him a sub appearance on the last day.

2 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

We are probably relying on the loan market this season in which case we have about 6 weeks left. 

We will be trying to offload as many of the unwanted players that we can until then. Abdi and Jones look like they may be two of them. But that will be hard enough as it is without letting everyone know that we in FFP peril and that everyone could be available at a knock down price.

We are doing it the sensible way this time because we have to be more sensible. 

Hopefully we have learnt our lessons from the Carlos era of seeing Helan retire then instantly going out to replace him with a player on one of the highest wages at the club to then only give him a sub appearance on the last day.

We might be - but this needs communicated better currently a lot of the fans think we have this season then we go again with the spending the mess we are now in financial through club mismanagement we could have for the next 2-3 season, just to right the ship. Add to that if the 11 out of contract players next season, the likes of Bannan, Westwood, Joao, Hooper, Lee are not retained we could need £10-15m to replace the departing players, which we won't be able to do with £20m losses a season hanging over the club.

13 minutes ago, room0035 said:

We might be - but this needs communicated better currently a lot of the fans think we have this season then we go again with the spending the mess we are now in financial through club mismanagement we could have for the next 2-3 season, just to right the ship. Add to that if the 11 out of contract players next season, the likes of Bannan, Westwood, Joao, Hooper, Lee are not retained we could need £10-15m to replace the departing players, which we won't be able to do with £20m losses a season hanging over the club.

They reveal there hand to us they reveal it to everyone one else. Not many if any clubs tell the fans exactly what is going on.

6 minutes ago, owlZfan84 said:

Nixon saying Blunts have a very decent offer in for striker and it's being considered.

Winnall?

So in effect saying nothing just trying to stoke up a feeding frenzy. The cautious approach totally understandable, spending gambit will be considered if we are riding high by the January window. As always there are those who will try to play out our season in the months of May, June and July, It's pointless !  

13 minutes ago, owlZfan84 said:

Nixon saying Blunts have a very decent offer in for striker and it's being considered.

Winnall?

Behave, they will probably have an offer in for a striker from a prem club, but said striker spends most of his time being loaned out, they are trialling McGoldrick for heavens sake !!