Hirst To Meet The CEO?

12 minutes ago, scram said:

I've no problem with Hirst trying to get the best deal he can from us - and i've no problem if he feels he can only maximise his demands elsewhere

Similarly i fully agree with the club having a ceiling on what it will pay unproven development players - and sticking to it

Agreed.

It's just a shame some fans think he's just greedy and disloyal etc.

We cant expect a kid to make life changing decisions just to suit our fantasy of "Hirst 9 the Second Coming'.

lol

Edited by Donny.Owl

1 minute ago, Donny.Owl said:

Agreed.

It's just a shame spend fans think he's just greedy and disloyal etc.

We.cant expect a kid to make life changing decisions just to suit our fantasy of "Hirst 9 the Second Coming'.

lol

The Truth would be nice wouldn't it ?

Not hearsay/ assumtion which is what gets debated on here ....

4 minutes ago, OWLERTON GHOST said:

The Truth would be nice wouldn't it ?

Not hearsay/ assumtion which is what gets debated on here ....

Would be interesting.

But none of our business really.

I don't talk to our customers about my pay, just because it's them that (indirectly) pay it!

lol

5 minutes ago, scram said:

We got Abdi from the premier league after a full season of playing there - after being the best attacking cm in the championship for 2 of the preceding 3 seasons

Just like other first team players he had earned the right to the wages he was able to negotiate

You're missing my point mate. I'm not complaining about any players wages. Any player that makes it as a pro footballer should be paid well. 

Im more complaining that the club is prepared to pay good wages to players who were never in the managers plans and players who are simply not good enough but can't/won't come to an agreement with the most promising prospect we have ever had. 

From a Wednesday perspective, assume someone like bannan earns something like 20k a week and it becomes obvious a demand of 15k a week is lunacy. From the perspective of a Chelsea, a man City or recently an Everton, 15k a week is a pittance as these players will get loaned out until they're decent or released. We can't compete with these sort of wages and to be honest, not a lot of clubs can, hence the downsizing of more academies in the professional game

2 minutes ago, modboy said:

Seems like £10k a week for a good 18yo prospect is about the going rate at the top academies. 

Whatever we have offered, we are between a rock and a hard place. Sure he's on of our only decent prospects in forever but can we match the big Premier League academies? Can you pay an academy kid £10k a week when we will have first teamers on less? Can you expect GH to sign up for £5k a week when he can get £10k?

Herein lies the problem. We theoretically can pay him but it would undermine a lot of other stuff at the club through the academy and first team. We all want to see him play for us but with no guarantees, surely the club has to look at it from all angles.

1 minute ago, londonowl said:

Seems like £10k a week for a good 18yo prospect is about the going rate at the top academies. 

Whatever we have offered, we are between a rock and a hard place. Sure he's on of our only decent prospects in forever but can we match the big Premier League academies? Can you pay an academy kid £10k a week when we will have first teamers on less? Can you expect GH to sign up for £5k a week when he can get £10k?

Herein lies the problem. We theoretically can pay him but it would undermine a lot of other stuff at the club through the academy and first team. We all want to see him play for us but with no guarantees, surely the club has to look at it from all angles.

Exactly this - a conundrum that gets repeated ad nauseum around the leagues

It's an impasse that happens regularly at clubs

maybe some debate around the minutiae of the whole handling of the process - but ultimately the club is on the back foot in this situation

Guest Grez Bez
1 minute ago, BIG D said:

He’s played for the Portuguese national team. 

And is far far better.

I saw him play for the U23's and you could see a mile off that he was far more seasoned. 

Some people don't seem to realise the gulf in class of professional football compared to the youth leagues

5 minutes ago, Donny.Owl said:

Would be interesting.

But none of our business really.

I don't talk to our customers about my pay, just because it's them that (indirectly) pay it!

lol

True you or I  wouldn't .

But football is different isn't it ?How far back can you go to remember what footballers wages are put out to the public domain ?

It's the norm, has been for a long time 

Most sports are  the same ...

Just now, LSOwls said:

Some people don't seem to realise the gulf in class of professional football compared to the youth leagues

Absolutely

Fans seem to think development football is a hairs breadth away from championship football - when in reality not many development teams would survive at any level in the football league

48 minutes ago, darra said:

It's not always about what you earn in your life though. Robbie Fowler wasn't from the era of the high earners as such but he invested his money into property,a lot of it apparently and makes his money from that similar with Deon Dublin I think.

deon Dublin makes his money showing tv cameras round houses that are up for auction. :biggrin:

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, LSOwls said:

And is far far better.

I saw him play for the U23's and you could see a mile off that he was far more seasoned. 

seen the goals he's scored for u23s and they make him look like Pele, turning and spinning round defenders on the way to goal

Guest Grez Bez
13 minutes ago, scram said:

Absolutely

Fans seem to think development football is a hairs breadth away from championship football - when in reality not many development teams would survive at any level in the football league

I played in the NPL & NCEL for years and we regularly played  against professional youth teams of all ages. We won some, lost some but all were good close games.

That's the 7th to 10th level on the football pyramid...