Hirst To Meet The CEO?

2 minutes ago, David1867 said:

He won't be "had round the corner" by Hirst but the list of first team players that have bent him over is eye watering and in my opinion makes the situation even worse. 

First team players have an incredibly strong hand when it comes to wage demands

You sign proven players then they have a value attached that has to be met

People might moan now about the salaries of Fletch and Rhodes for eg - but they earned the right to demand the wages they get

Development players only have the promise of potential - and the stats show that is extremely volatile with most not making the grade at a level their club is at

15 minutes ago, David1867 said:

He won't be "had round the corner" by Hirst but the list of first team players that have bent him over is eye watering and in my opinion makes the situation even worse. 

Those players have at least achieved things and had successfull careers up to date. Like it or not they have earned their inflated wages. Young George has done bugger all so far. 

It's not always about what you earn in your life though. Robbie Fowler wasn't from the era of the high earners as such but he invested his money into property,a lot of it apparently and makes his money from that similar with Deon Dublin I think.

2 hours ago, scram said:

I'm pretty sure the new CEO will be fully aware of the suspicion among fans of her as an employee based on her documented history - and also what her remit may be

I'm sure she would like a few "easy wins" with the fans to reverse that kind of thinking - and the Hirst saga resolution will fall into that category - along with maybe sorting out the scandalous ticket prices and returning to stripes etc.

However, it depends on how wide that remit is and whether the owner will allow rebuilding of bridges that he feels were burned - and whether he has taken it so personally to be affronted to the point of closing the door?

But the warning is always that quick easy wins can come at a cost further down the line - and thats a delicate balancing act

I wouldn't call this an easy win Scram when four parties need to save face, none more so than the clubs former ambassador.

Also it maybe useful if this post was locked until after the smoke rises from the chimney ! 

4 minutes ago, scram said:

First team players have an incredibly strong hand when it comes to wage demands

You sign proven players then they have a value attached that has to be met

People might moan now about the salaries of Fletch and Rhodes for eg - but they earned the right to demand the wages they get

Development players only have the promise of potential - and the stats show that is extremely volatile with most not making the grade at a level their club is at

Players like Fletch, Rhodes, Forestieri etc obviously had a strong hand in negotiations, no issue with the wages they earn. I will even be in a minority in saying that they should be paid well. 

The issue I have is that over the past 2 years we have probably had over a dozen "first team" players simply not playing. Players that the club have signed/loaned and then simply not played. These players hold no value to the club. 

Yet we have a young lad, the best we have had in my lifetime, In terms of England caps and potential. The club turn down substantial offers for him and refuse to pay the wages or come to an agreement. 

The whole thing stinks to be fair. The stance of the club is nothing short of pathetic and spiteful. If they have/had problems in coming to an agreement with Hirst, why not sell him and take the cash. 

Letting him rot doesn't do anyone any favours. 

If you take off your Wednesday tinted glasses, think of this from Hirst's point of view.

He knows how hasn't made it yet, he also knows he might never make it, and he knows he can get good money from a Premier League club.

It's all very well us saying, he should be loyal, or he should want to stay with his boyhood team, but this next contact could make or break his financial status for the rest of his life.

Do you go with the cash now, or wait to "earn it later"? 

What if you never get another good offer?

Like people have said before, the Football League is littered with players that were England youth players and highly thought of as kids.

What if he gets a bad injury?

I'm 38 and on a (relatively) low income, I look back at the opportunities I missed, or turned down, in my working life, that could've meant I'd be much better off now.

Image being a footballer, heading towards retirement at 30-something, with little to show for it, wondering what you're going to do for the rest of your life... and looking back at the contract you turned down at 18 that could've made all the difference.

I don't know if the new CEO will make a difference to the situation, because if he can get a decent wage in the Prem, he surely has to go for it.

Sad as it is for us.

PS: I wouldn't see £1m if I worked til I was 100!

I could quite easier retire on that! lol

Edited by Donny.Owl

15 minutes ago, darra said:

It's not always about what you earn in your life though. Robbie Fowler wasn't from the era of the high earners as such but he invested his money into property,a lot of it apparently and makes his money from that similar with Deon Dublin I think.

Different times mate. Fowler was 'only' earning £15k a week but he was buying houses for £20k each which are now worth 5 times as much. He bought a whole street in Oldham at something like £16k a house.

More recently, Rooney, Joe Cole, Kieran Dyer and a whole long list of others are known to have lost a lot of money on property. Fine if you are still earning £100k+ a week but a whole different kettle of fish if you have put all of your £1.5m into it (back to the £12k a week for 4 year) in the hope of big returns and a secure future.

Of course it's about what you do with your money but you can't blame the lad for trying to get a much as he can. I have no idea what he's been offered but whatever it is will not secure him for life and while he may not be able to expect that at his age, it's just common sense to get as much as he can as quickly as he can in case the wheels fall off. If someone will.pay it and we won't, you really can't knock him for that.

Edited by londonowl

2 minutes ago, Donny.Owl said:

If you take off your Wednesday tinted glasses, think of this from Hirst's point of view.

He knows how hasn't made it yet, he also knows he might never make it, and he knows he can get good money from a Premier League club.

It's all very well us saying, he should be loyal, or he should want to stay with his boyhood team, but this next contact could make or break his financial status for the rest of his life.

Like people have said before, the Football League is littered with players that were England youth players and highly thought of as kids.

I'm 38 and on a (relatively) low income, I look back at the opportunities I missed, or turned down, in my working life, that could've meant I'd be much better off now.

Image being a footballer, heading towards retirement at 30-something, with little to show for it, wondering what you're going to do for the rest of your life... and looking back at the contract you turned down at 18 that could've made all the difference.

I don't know if the new CEO will make a difference to the situation, because if he can get a decent wage in the Prem, he surely has to go for it.

Sad as it is for us.

Thats all well and good but just be honest about it. 

1 minute ago, Donny.Owl said:

Sad as it is for us.

I've no problem with Hirst trying to get the best deal he can from us - and i've no problem if he feels he can only maximise his demands elsewhere

Similarly i fully agree with the club having a ceiling on what it will pay unproven development players - and sticking to it

13 minutes ago, BIG D said:

Those players have at least achieved things and had successfull careers up to date. Like it or not they have earned their inflated wages. Young George has done bugger all so far. 

I'm more aiming that at the players we play inflated wages to and then not play them. Matias, Abdi, McGugan, Melo, Buckley, McManaman, Sougou, Semedo,Kean etc etc evc 

11 minutes ago, jasper said:

will reflect bad on the club .if we can't retain the best young prospect weve had in ages.

If the wage demands of £15k a week are true there's only one party that this reflects badly on & it's not SWFC.

9 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

Absolutely.

A conservative estimate.

I assume you are factoring inflation. You don't need £5m at today's prices. Also, it's a retirement why do your assets need to be 'liquid', surely they need to be revenue generating. The only people that need £5m in 'liquid assets' are drug dealers going on the lam to Brazil.

We got Abdi from the premier league after a full season of playing there - after being the best attacking cm in the championship for 2 of the preceding 3 seasons

Just like other first team players he had earned the right to the wages he was able to negotiate

2 minutes ago, David1867 said:

I'm more aiming that at the players we play inflated wages to and then not play them. Matias, Abdi, McGugan, Melo, Buckley, McManaman, Sougou, Semedo,Kean etc etc evc 

Even they have earned their salaries (not saying they carried on earning them while at Wednesday).