Jos Luhukay

27 minutes ago, TheEnchanter said:

Maybe but until last season they hadn't been in Europe for donkeys years. They were underachievers and had yoyo'd from 1st to 2nd division. Always been a sleeping giant. 

Are you sure? 

They were last in the Champions League in 2000 and regularly in the UEFA Cup almost every season until 2010. Then they were mismanaged, relegated, appointed him and came back. They are now once again a European club.

In that time we had fallen to Division 3, almost went out of existence and have not made it back to the top division let alone qualified for Europe.

Worlds apart.

1 minute ago, Ever the pessimist said:

My big worry is the players - will they respond to such a left field appointment? They bloody well should do regardless as it’s their job but I sense some egos and lack of inclination at present.

Might prefer it than the ordinary choices that merry go round English football. It's all about with how they connect with the individual and buy into his ethos rather than where he's from. Certainly plenty of German footballers liked him, players must respect a manager with 3 promotions on his CV. 

Complete unknown as manager and a new CEO who was as popular at Charlton as the cheque book on Blankety Blank.

It's been a right old week. This football club is absolutely brilliant, and I mean that. We could have had Lambert in charge, with some diabetic dour accountant from Chesham Bois as CEO. No, not us. Far too predictable. 

We've got a Thai owner, Belgian CEO, German manager, Kosovan centre forward and a big cake to look back on. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

2 minutes ago, TheEnchanter said:

Might prefer it than the ordinary choices that merry go round English football. It's all about with how they connect with the individual and buy into his ethos rather than where he's from. Certainly plenty of German footballers liked him, players must respect a manager with 3 promotions on his CV. 

Hope so.

1 minute ago, Will69 said:

Are you sure? 

They were last in the Champions League in 2000 and regularly in the UEFA Cup almost every season until 2010. Then they were mismanaged, relegated, appointed him and came back. They are now once again a European club.

In that time we had fallen to Division 3, almost went out of existence and have not made it back to the top division let alone qualified for Europe.

Worlds apart.

Yeah you're right. :laugh:

Guest RocketOwl

This is the new CEO doing imo.

Stop kidding yourselves that this I s a good idea. It's clear we just needed a manager who knows English football. Especially now giving our league predicament.

When she took over at charlton I believe they got rid of Powell and then appointed a series of continental bosses. From memory Jose Riga, Bob Peeters and another one from Holland. 

I cannot believe anyone would want this manager. I would even prefer Steve McLaren to this guy.

6 minutes ago, Ever the pessimist said:

My big worry is the players - will they respond to such a left field appointment? They bloody well should do regardless as it’s their job but I sense some egos and lack of inclination at present.

I had the same thought initially....

But having looked at his previous record and profile , he has managed some very big clubs hertha Berlin, mochengladbach & Stuttgart, that should command respect in its self. Worked with some of the best German coaches around, hopefully he will whip them into shape.

6 minutes ago, Ever the pessimist said:

Good players respond to good managers regardless of nationality and where they've worked. I imagine if he gets appointed they'll be googling him just as we are now. They'll see he has managed big clubs in Germany and got 3 promotions on his CV. Then it's down to his training methods and who he can get on side. I can't imagine many will be sulking

1 minute ago, RocketOwl said:

This is the new CEO doing imo.

Stop kidding yourselves that this I s a good idea. It's clear we just needed a manager who knows English football. Especially now giving our league predicament.

When she took over at charlton I believe they got rid of Powell and then appointed a series of continental bosses. From memory Jose Riga, Bob Peeters and another one from Holland. 

I cannot believe anyone would want this manager. I would even prefer Steve McLaren to this guy.

Give it a chance and get behind him (if he's appointed). If it goes boobies up them come back and do the I told you so threads. 

3 minutes ago, vulva said:

Complete unknown as manager and a new CEO who was as popular at Charlton as the cheque book on Blankety Blank.

It's been a right old week. This football club is absolutely brilliant, and I mean that. We could have had Lambert in charge, with some diabetic dour accountant from Chesham Bois as CEO. No, not us. Far too predictable. 

We've got a Thai owner, Belgian CEO, German manager, Kosovan centre forward and a big cake to look back on. 

Think the cake was a bit of a let down.

Foreign coaches are always a gamble and this one's no different. But his track record at similar sized clubs is sound and it's not as if his football will be reckless, quite the opposite in fact which should mean  the chances of abject  humiliation at the lane are reduced if the players buy into his defensive philosophy quickly enough.   So all in all I'm Happy