No Bannan, better tempo,

I must have seen a different game last night. It was the same shocking stuff, no tempo, no creativity, nowhere passing, didn’t win any second balls (especially in the middle of the park). We have absolutely no idea how to break a football side down. It’s desperate stuff and won’t get any better soon

Bannan is a skilful player but fitting him in to a succesful side is difficult due to his being one sided, lack of pace and physicality. We have a system designed to give him space but he is so deep it is impossible to deliverthe quality needed and pace is also required to give him more space to operate. Without him we had to resort to a more standard approach and we were more effective

2 hours ago, W H I T E Y said:

No idea why he took Butters off. He and Jones paired up well, were solid and kept you moving between the lines. Both won tackles, had above 90% pass accuracy and Butters’ corners were begging to be put away. 

Thought the whole team barring Fox and Wallace were much better to watch than in recent weeks. Just infuriating to see nobody willing to get a shot off. Although Reach made a mess of that great early chance. 

Ive seen folk give both centre mids poor ratings last night but I don’t get that. Streets ahead of last weekend. But once CC pulled one off (ooh err) you lost any kind of rhythm. It became hit and hope far too early than necessary and I’ve no idea how Wolves didn’t score a couple more. 

I keep saying it, but it’s screaming out for either 3-5-2 or 4-3-3. You have quality centre mids who are not allowed to get forward. He’s obsessed with having them sit in. It’s an instruction. Carlos’ coach even pulled Butters saying as much just before the goal. Sit in and let Reach/Wallace drift infield. Bizarre. 

I like CC but I would like to see what a more attacking manager could get out of that group.

You are correct about midfield duo last night they were competent and did roles well. It gave centre halves an easier game and they performed better than they have done in last few games.

I would be concerned about going 3 at back as the centre backs we have are not very mobile and can get out of position in a 4. Van Acken and Loovens are partucuarly slow and I am certain a 3 would not work. I like 4-3-3 sytem and if everybody fit think we could play this way. You require a mobile defensive midfielder as part of 3 and the only one I could see fulfilling that role is Hutchinson who is currently unavailable. Also need FF back for front 3 as pace and work rate essential up front if playing this system.

11 hours ago, OwlofOliveGrove said:

...and we saw loads more shots on ta-oh wait.

Bannan in, Bannan out. Makes very little difference if the end result is the same.

this is a fact play better still end up with nowt we really are on a slippery slope

3 hours ago, W H I T E Y said:

No idea why he took Butters off. He and Jones paired up well, were solid and kept you moving between the lines. Both won tackles, had above 90% pass accuracy and Butters’ corners were begging to be put away. 

Thought the whole team barring Fox and Wallace were much better to watch than in recent weeks. Just infuriating to see nobody willing to get a shot off. Although Reach made a mess of that great early chance. 

Ive seen folk give both centre mids poor ratings last night but I don’t get that. Streets ahead of last weekend. But once CC pulled one off (ooh err) you lost any kind of rhythm. It became hit and hope far too early than necessary and I’ve no idea how Wolves didn’t score a couple more. 

I keep saying it, but it’s screaming out for either 3-5-2 or 4-3-3. You have quality centre mids who are not allowed to get forward. He’s obsessed with having them sit in. It’s an instruction. Carlos’ coach even pulled Butters saying as much just before the goal. Sit in and let Reach/Wallace drift infield. Bizarre. 

I like CC but I would like to see what a more attacking manager could get out of that group.

Are you really a Barnsley fan, Whitey?...........you seem to know more about us than some of our own fans, good post.

As for Bannan, he's a bit of an enigma.

He's probably been our best player this season, admittedly not a difficult competition to win, but as the opening post said, we played with more freedom in midfield last night, usually the ball ALWAYS goes through Bannan first, as soon as a midfielder gets the ball they look to pass it to him, so the play gets congested into the middle of the pitch, last night we moved it left and right and look far more comfortable, Jones and Butterfield were allowed to be expressive and showed us they can actually play a bit.

Bannan rarely assists or scores, so for me it's the way forwards.

Bannan definitely pulls the strings in our midfield, the problem that we have is that seemingly everything HAS to go through him.

There have been so many times in his last few games where we have been on a quick attack which has slowed down and gone sideways or (mainly) backwards because of him.When we press forward in an attack without him, hes waving his arms around and windmilling at other players because we havent passed it to him....even though he is 20 yards behind play.

16 hours ago, TheRock said:

Agree, I was liking how the team performed until the Wolves goal. Wolves were very strong defensively, probably the best i've seen for many a year. They were the worst side to concede a cheap goal against.

How many times did Wolves panic in Defence?.

They are like us 2 years ago, goodish going forward but liable to concede when under pressure.

If we had Played Joao or Nuhiu from the start, instead of the invisible man that is Hooper, at the moment, we would have caused mayhem and panic in there defence from the start.