No Bannan, better tempo,

6 minutes ago, nethertonowl said:

Thought we looked, much better tonight, with out him, less deep lying , slow , sideways build up, pressed high up front. Also thought other players played with more freedom and didn't appear to be playing bit parts , around him. 

And we lost. With how many shots on target?.

After I'd extolled Bannans virtues after Reading game somebody made the same point and I'm starting to concur- with Banno on the pitch, everyone else abdicates responsibility - maybe we need Abdi back!! 

PS Butterfield - should have stayed on pitch tonight - looks like he has the touch and physique to be a real dominant player but seems Reluctant to carry it foward

and shoot like he did back when he played for  Hudders 

It has always been the same problem. People on here keep blaming Carlos for Bannan dropping deep, it's tactics etc.

The truth is when the going gets tough Bannan drops deep of his own accord and then we end up stuck in our own half with him slowing the game down.

Jones had one of his best games tonight because he played 10 yds in front of of the centre halfs rather than at the side of them, he moved the ball quickly and he always tried to move it forward.

It gave the team some momentum 

• Like 1

Bannans injury due to landing heavily in training.

Interesting that before game, Chris Turner (on RS) said that when he was manager, he wanted to move away from Middlewood training ground due the pitches being very hard.

Could this be contributing to our injury problems?

4 minutes ago, LSOwls said:

But we created nothing. Without him we have zero creativity...

How much have we been creating with him. Of course if fit he plays.

In tonights team he would have replaced Wallace if he had been fit, not Jones or Butterfield 

No idea why he took Butters off. He and Jones paired up well, were solid and kept you moving between the lines. Both won tackles, had above 90% pass accuracy and Butters’ corners were begging to be put away. 

Thought the whole team barring Fox and Wallace were much better to watch than in recent weeks. Just infuriating to see nobody willing to get a shot off. Although Reach made a mess of that great early chance. 

Ive seen folk give both centre mids poor ratings last night but I don’t get that. Streets ahead of last weekend. But once CC pulled one off (ooh err) you lost any kind of rhythm. It became hit and hope far too early than necessary and I’ve no idea how Wolves didn’t score a couple more. 

I keep saying it, but it’s screaming out for either 3-5-2 or 4-3-3. You have quality centre mids who are not allowed to get forward. He’s obsessed with having them sit in. It’s an instruction. Carlos’ coach even pulled Butters saying as much just before the goal. Sit in and let Reach/Wallace drift infield. Bizarre. 

I like CC but I would like to see what a more attacking manager could get out of that group.

9 hours ago, nethertonowl said:

Thought we looked, much better tonight, with out him, less deep lying , slow , sideways build up, pressed high up front. Also thought other players played with more freedom and didn't appear to be playing bit parts , around him. 

Looked more balanced but still no bite in the last 3rd, could have done with ff last night, may just have ben the difference

32 minutes ago, W H I T E Y said:

No idea why he took Butters off. He and Jones paired up well, were solid and kept you moving between the lines. Both won tackles, had above 90% pass accuracy and Butters’ corners were begging to be put away. 

Thought the whole team barring Fox and Wallace were much better to watch than in recent weeks. Just infuriating to see nobody willing to get a shot off. Although Reach made a mess of that great early chance. 

Ive seen folk give both centre mids poor ratings last night but I don’t get that. Streets ahead of last weekend. But once CC pulled one off (ooh err) you lost any kind of rhythm. It became hit and hope far too early than necessary and I’ve no idea how Wolves didn’t score a couple more. 

I keep saying it, but it’s screaming out for either 3-5-2 or 4-3-3. You have quality centre mids who are not allowed to get forward. He’s obsessed with having them sit in. It’s an instruction. Carlos’ coach even pulled Butters saying as much just before the goal. Sit in and let Reach/Wallace drift infield. Bizarre. 

I like CC but I would like to see what a more attacking manager could get out of that group.

So would we mate

9 hours ago, nethertonowl said:

I was glad when i heard he wasn't playing. 

The Centre Backs had to move the ball on a lot quicker without him to help them out. 

It's not all Bannans fault. Why has this problem not been pointed out to him in the past. Why did it happen week after week? 

2 hours ago, W H I T E Y said:

Good post, Whitey! You know your stuff. All informed Wednesday fans know we need to play 3 in the middle as our current crop of midfielders are suited to play in a 3.

Id personally like to see us go 4-3-3 when FF returns and play him the left of a front 3 as we would get the most out of our best player.

Again, as Carlos seems that he wants to play with 2 central strikers, 3-5-2 is worth a go but only when Lees and Hutch return. A back 3 of Lees, Hutch and Van Aken could work.

What is abundantly clear is that 4-4-2 is a formation which doesn’t get the best out of our key players. We become predictable and easy to play against.