Steady Decline

It feels like we're on a raft in the middle of the sea - every now and again the players spot land, but are helpless as we drift away and it goes out of view.

It's like we're waiting for change of direction but have been for some time now.

CC's approach and player acquisition will inevitably slow the games down and we won't be dynamic or exciting - we all know that.

The test will be where we finish up in May. I do hope however, if we don't make the play offs, it will spell the end of this this era of 'continental' football and we realign with some younger, pacey, more powerfully players and a system that looks to entertain.

1 hour ago, Wednesday_Jack said:

I am sorry to say but Carlos's 1 year record speaks for itself...you don't have a 14 clubs 14 years for no good reason!! 14 clubs are not wrong!!

When will people realise that he is turning us into a mid-table championship club...all this about we are unbeaten in 5, were hard to beat, we came back with spirit.....its testicles...we have got 3 wins in 11 games and drawing games, which as never got anyone promoted. We all take the wee wee out of Huddersfield for their "228 game unbeaten run" but that is what we are turning into, a club content with draws!! A drawn game is 2 points lost when your ambition is the top 6.

When you simply look at the league table it isn't to bad...you look and think we are 11th and 4 points off the top 6. When you look closer you look at the teams above us Derby, Boro, Bristol, Villa and the pigs....all inform teams playing well and gathering momentum going in Christmas (a period where you need to gain points). Us on the other hand playing poorly and loosing momentum, content to salvage draws. If we are not careful our season could be well and truly over after Christmas 3/4 games in 10 days could literally see us cut adrift by 9/10 points!!

To me the players aren't fit enough, our tactics are poor and i honestly believe that the players are now losing faith in CC. Its becoming more and more evident IMO.

what evidence is there that the players are losing faith in carlos ......2 games fairly recently they have given two of the finest performances I've seen in recent  years leeds & villa  .....

I just can't fathom the fact that we were signing forward minded players who either aren't built to play defensive football or have the pace to quick counter. We're also playing a formation that needs to play that way, if your going to defend and break you need a system that allows that to be effective with the right personell to implement that. It needs a fresh pair of eyes and ideas to shake things up. Would love to see Lee, Bannan, abdi/butterfield in a three with hunt and reach as wingbacks and VanAken in a three with the stability of Loovens and lees either side of him. Would help make up for our defencive short comings at the moment and allow us to use BB & VA passing range with Lee and butterfield running on supporting whomever is up top and allow reach and hunt to bomb on own the flanks without their lack of defencive ability being exposed. 

Though we know this will never happen as Carlos just cant/won't change. Time for a change for me. 

1 minute ago, torryowl said:

what evidence is there that the players are losing faith in carlos ......2 games fairly recently they have given two of the finest performances I've seen in recent  years leeds & villa  .....

just oases in a sea of desert.

4 minutes ago, torryowl said:

Quite a simple answer really and you don't have to be a football expert to realise this....firstly what appears to be a lack of motivation amongst quite a few of the players, poor individual performances (happening more frequently), players arguing amongst themselves on the pitch (which we are seeing more frequently), there are a few signs creeping in.

Confidence and moral comes from within the club and if players aren't happy then performances drop. This to me is players slowly losing faith. It then becomes a vicious circle and down hill spiral. I have witnessed it first hand a couple of times recently but the one that sticks in my mind is Birmingham away...they score to make it 1-0 and our players looked like a Sunday morning side who just turn up to get beat. They scored and the players were all stood on the half way line with hands on hips and heads down...that to me is almost a sign of resignation.

You can try and mask the issue or hide away from it all you want but IMO there is a serious underlying issue and i strongly believe that the players are losing faith in CC approach. Its slow, boring and predictable. This crop of players haven't turned into bad players...they are simply been asked to play a certain negative way its its starting to show in their performances.

I assume you still want CC at the club?

16 minutes ago, torryowl said:

Leeds one of our finest performances in recent years? I don't know what to make of that. We were poor for the first 20 minutes and then managed to get our noses in front and saw a poor Leeds team crumble. If it was one of our finest performances in recent years then it doesnt say much for the rest of the matches. I can't comment on the Villa performance as I didnt go but any win at Villa Park is a great result.

16 minutes ago, torryowl said:

Are you seriously trying to base that on 2 games all season? Let's be honest, Leeds especially we could have been 2-0 down in the first 10 minutes, only for woeful finishing did we keep a clean sheet. 

To put it another way the fact that fans can actually hand pick games where we have played well speaks for itself. Promotion material? No chance.

Guest The Horse

Can't believe that any of our players are enjoying this style.

It just goes against everything that's instinctive to a group of very talented and attack minded individuals.

They're professionals who'll want to win every game and know they have the collective talent to do so.

It must be frustrating as **** for them as well.

Wish one of them would break rank and just tell us what's really going on.

2 hours ago, torres said:

Id say bar Bannan no one has even maintained a level never mind got better!

You could argue Reach has improved...although is still erratic (but is that his fault, or his managers instructions?).  Hooper has been very good.  

But yeah, past them 3, it's a huge worry!

I'd say Wallace has declined more than Lees...such a shame.  He used to be a match winner, up there with FF for top drawer goals, crosses and clever play.  He's had a woeful season, so far.  

3 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

And that is key, a large, but very average, squad

and yet massively under achieving .....that's the rub mate half think we are bang average and the other half think we have finest players since Atkinson's days .....the diverse opinions are a mind boggling  poles apart .everyone is convinced there theory is right .

58 minutes ago, torryowl said:

Nothing to do with Leeds and Villa having really off days ....

It’s definately set in and we are settling into middtable.

CC has taken us as far as he can but I fully expect him to see out the season. It’s clear DC  lisn’t going to change anything 

I just pray we don’t get dragged into a relegation fight.  The current management team is in no position to deal with it. 

I have pretty much much lost interest in it all at the moment - this season is proving to be a complete waste of time and energy.

Such a pity the key changes weren't made in the summer - big opportunity lost. 

We may well be in decline now, but in truth, the progress stalled after that first season, and the Wembley defeat Too many signings, and too many poor signings, have lost us the momentum we had back then Tactics have played a part, and from a personal point of view, I can no longer be bothered to watch us That may be just me though, as the manager can point to another top six finish Even allowing for the football not being my cup of tea, I do think these tactics are destined to fail Without strength and pace nowadays, you won’t succeed at this level