What Changed?

Just a question really. A refresh has been painfully required for weeks and for 2 seasons at times. This has never to my recollection happened. The regime has seen it as a crusade to stick to the program. Why do you think it changed last night. Seems to me it's more than the poor form. Has a penny dropped dare we hope?

I agree with the earlier posters.  Millwall were the poorest team that have been to Hillsborough this season, without doubt.  Even then, I wouldn't view last nights performance by Wednesday as being a great deal better than the earlier displays.  Still very pedestrian at times.  Fortunately we put away a couple of chances and got away with a couple of defensive errors.

A better visiting team would have taken all 3 points home with them.

3 minutes ago, Warringtonowl said:

Millwall really werent up to much truth be told. The amount of space conceded on the wings fox and palmer justbstood in acres and in the end it proved their downfall as our wingplay ultimately lead to both goals. 

You don't see that written about Wednesday very often ...

our wing play ultimately lead to both goals.

Just thought we should see it more often.

The first half performances from Wednesday have been much improved in these last two home games...unfortunately the second half performances have been pretty sub-par. 

The only game where we have played well for a sustained period of time (say more than 70%) was Leeds. 

Every other home game I've seen (QPR, Sunderland, the scrotebags) we've only played well for select periods. 

Problem with us is when we're we aren't playing well we look quite vulnerable. 

Don't get fooled by the result.

That performance wasn't anything to get excited about. In fact, for the most part, it was decidedly dreadful against a very limited side.

It was a crucial win, insofar as it stops the rot and gives us the opportunity to build on it.

How many times to teams end a barren run of performances (and results) with a stellar, five star display? Not often. 

The encouragement was the chances we created for Rhodes, Fox's early promise (where he was absolutely superb for the 1st 20 minutes, before we inexplicably started to ignore him despite the space he was in) and Butterfield's generally steady display. 

However, defensively were we an absolute shambles once again. Loovens was poor and Tom Lees continued to look totally shot of any confidence or positivity. Despite both players performing well, I'm not convinced that a midfield two of Bannan and Butterfield are defensively minded enough to play the deep double pivot role they seemed to take on, and as a result, the two struggling centre halves were exposed far too often. But, on the contrary, our only fit midfielder who is defensively minded, is Jones who has been hounded out, but the fact remains, we need better. 

Despite an improved performance, and good result, I think last night brought up yet more questions about this squad and it's system, than it answered. 

31 minutes ago, frastheowl said:

Don't get fooled by the result.

That performance wasn't anything to get excited about. In fact, for the most part, it was decidedly dreadful against a very limited side.

It was a crucial win, insofar as it stops the rot and gives us the opportunity to build on it.

How many times to teams end a barren run of performances (and results) with a stellar, five star display? Not often. 

The encouragement was the chances we created for Rhodes, Fox's early promise (where he was absolutely superb for the 1st 20 minutes, before we inexplicably started to ignore him despite the space he was in) and Butterfield's generally steady display. 

However, defensively were we an absolute shambles once again. Loovens was poor and Tom Lees continued to look totally shot of any confidence or positivity. Despite both players performing well, I'm not convinced that a midfield two of Bannan and Butterfield are defensively minded enough to play the deep double pivot role they seemed to take on, and as a result, the two struggling centre halves were exposed far too often. But, on the contrary, our only fit midfielder who is defensively minded, is Jones who has been hounded out, but the fact remains, we need better. 

Despite an improved performance, and good result, I think last night brought up yet more questions about this squad and it's system, than it answered. 

Fair comment!  Loovens in particular I thought was totally off the pace last night - and what happened in that challenge that led to Millwall's goal, I really can't say.  He just seemed to fall over when actually he didn't need to challenge that far away from goal.  Having missed the challenge he left the defence wide open and although it took an unlucky deflection off Lees on the resultant cross, the whole situation could easily have been avoided had Loovens not committed himself so far forward.

Overall though bearing in mind how poor Millwall were, the performance was pretty uninspiring.

2 hours ago, jfr142 said:

Just a question really. A refresh has been painfully required for weeks and for 2 seasons at times. This has never to my recollection happened. The regime has seen it as a crusade to stick to the program. Why do you think it changed last night. Seems to me it's more than the poor form. Has a penny dropped dare we hope?

What changed? Some of the other  15 squad players played. Carlos managed to get his favourites who didn't start onto the pitch. We played alright in small amounts and defended when in front. The only change was no one booed and no one chanted for Carlos out. Other than that business as usual. 

Oh Lordy - we won, yes won:wacko:

OK it cudda been more convincing but there were positives:rolleyes:

Thought JB was good, took heat off BB, MF ditto AR and well pleased for JR

Not a happy clapper just giving my take on it:biggrin:

Be positive WAWAW  (but sometimes I wonder if its only when things are going well):ph34r:

12 hours ago, jfr142 said:

Nothing at all changed and nothing has since last season 

We take our chances and the others don't we win - the positives are still there (good football, hard work), while the same negatives are still there (slow, not strong enough)

So many fans just look at the result and deem it a good or bad performance, we played better against Bolton than we did against Millwall.

We weren't a shower of a team after that result and we aren't world beaters now. The players need to take responsibility and cut out errors both defensively and offensively 

All our problems are still the same since Wembley, we all know them, the club just haven't addressed them.

Until they do we are just going to have to grind out results like we have for 12 months 

Well just read through this topic and feel as down as ever, sad thing is most post are pretty bang on but ime living in hope that the win will install some confidence, CC learns that if you get quality balls into the box Rhodes will score and reach is not a left back